Hey! (I'm not back)

Anything About Anything...
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Hey! (I'm not back)

Post by ConVicT »

I just installed ubuntu alongside windows and when i start my computer it gives me the option to use win10 (which is what I want).
The only problem is, my keyboard doesn't work until the time runs out and ubuntu is running.
Any suggestions?
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: Hey! (I'm not back)

Post by sinewav »

Oh wow, that's a tough problem. You'll need to edit /etc/default/grub and change a couple lines. According to this thread you might be able to boot a Live CD, mount the disk where Ubuntu is, and edit grub. You'll want to change GRUB_TIMEOUT=10 to something like 30 seconds instead of 10? I think if you set it to -1 there is no countdown and the menu will stay on screen until you make a choice.

You can also set GRUB_DEFAULT=0 to the line number of the operating system you want to use by default. For example, if windows is listed 3rd after Ubuntu and Ubuntu with Advanced options, you would set the default to "2".

Now, there is one thing I'm not sure of. After making changes to Grub in Ubuntu you need to run '~# update-grub' to update the Grub.cfg file (explained on the link above) and I'm not sure about editing that directly. I don't Grub too much.

And if you haven't seen this page before, it talks a little about Grub/Grub2.

Let me know how you get it working, I might find myself in the same situation one day.

Also, :) "Hi there, stranger!"
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

Weirdly, after restarting my computer a few times, key strokes started registering in grub. So, I have no idea why they weren't before.
Now I've accidentally partitioned my hdd and have to wait 5 hours for data recovery.

I hope it works because I deleted my wedding photos... Don't tell KezX
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Post by aP|Nelg »

ConVicT wrote:Now I've accidentally partitioned my hdd and have to wait 5 hours for data recovery.
What...?
niin
Average Program

Post by niin »

I'm late to the party I know, but I'm curious..
Is it a USB keyboard?