Game Choice for Competition

Anything About Anything...
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Game Choice for Competition

Post by Light »

Maybe someone here can help out with giving me an idea for a game. My girlfriend is wanting to host a small competition (might not be the correct word) at her store, and have something that people can play and try to get a top score, fastest time, etc for some gift. Recently, we've had a Mario Kart on Wii, using the fastest lap of a pre-selected map. I was thinking about going with Pac Man for NES and using a USB joystick to make it a little more arcade-like, but I worry it would take too long for people to play. I don't know the average person's skill level, but I could sit there and play for a good bit of time before I usually just quit without losing all 3 lives.

So, I have a Pi set up to play whatever game up to N64, though I'd probably prefer an older game (NES, SNES, Genesis, etc.), and we could even hop back to Atari if we want, but that might be a little too far for normal people's interest. We also have a Wii, then a PS4, but I'd actually have to go buy the game for that, so prefer not going that route. It'll be set up on a 50" screen, so it can be something more detailed than Pac Man, but a requirement is that it needs to be kid friendly. Wouldn't really want to have a young child trying to play a time trial for a long period of time, so hopefully something that can kill you / end your game.

So, yeah. My current best thought is Pac Man, and my girlfriend was thinking about the frisbee golf thing on Wii (mini game one). I would think Marble Madness (one of my fav games ever) would be perfect, but it may be too difficult for people / children.

Any ideas?
Monkey
Match Winner

Re: Game Choice for Competition

Post by Monkey »

Super Mario Kart (on the SNES). It's by far the best version of Mario Kart and is suitable for both adults and kids.
Playing since December 2006
Light

Post by Light »

Monkey wrote:Super Mario Kart (on the SNES). It's by far the best version of Mario Kart and is suitable for both adults and kids.
Dunno. I always go between it and the N64 version. I was sort of hoping to not do another Mario Kart one though, since that one wasn't too long ago.
ppotter
Match Winner

Post by ppotter »

Snake survival :D
Light

Post by Light »

ppotter wrote:Snake survival :D
Not sure what game you're talking about, unless you just mean to find a copy of Snake, probably on Atari for that one.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

If you're thinking Pac-Man, the Championship Edition games are quite good, easily the best extensions of the concept I know of. Everything you learned about the original Pac-Man translates nicely to them, and the new stuff is easy enough to pick up by just watching. They have plenty of modes and I think all of them have a fixed time limit, one to five minutes. The look can be varied and retro if you want. Umm, I take my info from CE1 and CE DX on the XBox 360, CE2 would be the one available for the PS4.
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Post by aP|Nelg »

Light wrote:
ppotter wrote:Snake survival :D
Not sure what game you're talking about, unless you just mean to find a copy of Snake, probably on Atari for that one.
You ha(ve/d) a snake survival server up; ppotter probably means that. Not an individual game, though... I don't think it'd quite work for the idea here.
ppotter
Match Winner

Post by ppotter »

I did mean that server mode yeah. It is a single player mode, though it was a tongue-in-cheek suggestion.
Light

Post by Light »

ppotter wrote:I did mean that server mode yeah. It is a single player mode, though it was a tongue-in-cheek suggestion.
It actually wouldn't be a terrible option, but sadly most people would fail to comprehend moving around in Arma with only a single attempt. It's not popular enough for people to be able to hop in and know what they're doing. I guess it would be possible to go with a slowed down version of it and keep the joystick idea, which could turn out to be a decent competition. I just don't think it would draw anyone in, as most people don't know what the game is. I would probably be better off making a classic Tron game, but then it would end up being regular snake. :/ I wish people were more capable of picking up and playing most games.
Z-Man wrote:If you're thinking Pac-Man, the Championship Edition games are quite good, easily the best extensions of the concept I know of. Everything you learned about the original Pac-Man translates nicely to them, and the new stuff is easy enough to pick up by just watching. They have plenty of modes and I think all of them have a fixed time limit, one to five minutes. The look can be varied and retro if you want. Umm, I take my info from CE1 and CE DX on the XBox 360, CE2 would be the one available for the PS4.
That sounds perfect. I would debate the $20, since it's not a $50 game or something, but sadly "This item will be released on February 28, 2017.". Hell, I might have to pick that one up for myself just because ..