Ethernet card needed :(

Anything About Anything...
Swampy
Core Dumper

Re: Ethernet card needed :(

Post by Swampy »

Lucifer wrote:
Word wrote:
Lucifer wrote:You know, amongst my many other projects. I need to stop doing so many things at once, heh.
*cough* whatever happened to that book? ;)
Started looking at it again. Had some Real Life crap get in the way, and now I have to go find an income and can't wait for a self-published book to make money. But I'm getting there. Fixed a few problems I was having with it, etc.

Back on the subject of the ethernet card, I tried plugging in a regular PCI card, and I'm pretty sure it's not a PCI slot. Here's the pic.
KIMG0036.JPG
That's definitely PCIX, right?
I'm the kinda guy that just skipped to the picture rather than read why you were specifically asking for a PCI-e card. That computer has three slots, one is PCI Express slot (black) and two PCI slots (white). The short white card is 32 bit and the longer one is 64bit. In any case I have a lot of those cards but honestly they're not worth the price of shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3Com-PCI-Ethern ... Sw1ZBUvA65 ($7.00)
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Yeah, the white ones are PCI all right. Can it be that the card you have is really an old ISA card?

Here's what I got, ran on Linux just fine, and definitely PCI, it came out of just such a white slot:
IMG_20160829_220102.jpg
As you see, case size should not be a problem. Well, you were not clear in which direction it is shorter in, but worst case you really mean thinner, in which case you'd have to shorten the sheet metal thing.

The shipping cost calculator says that if I cram this into a letter, it'll cost 3.70 Euros to send it. Weight limit for that is 500g, so it should be easy to stuff some more junk into it to protect it from breaking reasonably well.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Well, it turns out I have a PCI ethernet card. Just one, though, heh. Good thing the motherboard has another one onboard.

Soooo, next question: Can I plug a 32-bit PCI card into a 64-bit slot? I mean, will it actually work? Turns out I have an 802.11g card that supports AP mode and has native linux drivers, so I might actually be able to do this thing sooner rather than later.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Post by aP|Nelg »

Lucifer wrote:Can I plug a 32-bit PCI card into a 64-bit slot? I mean, will it actually work?
It depends. It should work, but the card probably wont be able to use as much bandwidth as the motherboard can offer.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Well, unfortunately, the computer I was going to use won't POST, and it appears to have a few blown capacitors. I might attempt to replace the caps and see if that fixes it, but now this whole project is on hold indefinitely, because I need another computer to do it.

- Iron Maiden
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

I can't help there. I do have two or three mainboards and cases and power supplies, but the reason they're unused is that I expect them to have very little life in them left. The best one is an underclocked AMD K6-3. They're definitely not worth shipping.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Well, there's a chance yet. :) I have a computer that I'm supposed to build to take over the mythtv role in my living room. It takes a 64-bit Athlon. I have the motherboard, the case, and enough PCI cards to make it. Just need memory and the CPU (and heat sink/fan). I'll dig up the motherboard specs, but I'm guessing nobody has much 64-bit stuff to pass around yet.

Anyway, the idea is to finish building that computer, get it into the mythtv role, and then I have another 32-bit computer that currently runs that will be available for the router.

- Iron Maiden
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Light »

Lucifer wrote:I'll dig up the motherboard specs, but I'm guessing nobody has much 64-bit stuff to pass around yet.
I may have a quad core CPU laying around .. somewhere, if the pins aren't bent to hell from being thrown in a box. It's nothing special, but if I can find it, it would do what you need I'm sure. No promises I can even find it though.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Light wrote:
Lucifer wrote:I'll dig up the motherboard specs, but I'm guessing nobody has much 64-bit stuff to pass around yet.
I may have a quad core CPU laying around .. somewhere, if the pins aren't bent to hell from being thrown in a box. It's nothing special, but if I can find it, it would do what you need I'm sure. No promises I can even find it though.
Lemme dig up the specs for the motherboard first. My understanding is the Athlon name went onto several different socket types, so we'd need to be sure it's the right socket type first. No sense bothering to try to fish out a CPU you may not even be able to find if we're just going to find out it won't work in this application.

- Iron Maiden
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

@Lucifer
How is this going and do you still need any parts?
I've just recently taken apart my old computer that has been sitting in my lounge doing nothing. It was fully working, just a bit old. Some useful parts I salvaged from it are:
  • 2x Crucial 512MB DDR 266 184-pin Ram.
  • A passively cooled (no fan) SAPPHIRE ATI/AMD Radeon 9200SE (AGP slot) with 128MB DDR Ram. Outputs are VGA, S-Video and Composite Video.
  • A Realtek RTL8139C 100Mbps PCI Network Card (Ethernet).
Both the Ethernet card and the GPU card are low form factor (the front metal panel bits aren't but you can either unscrew them or just bend or cut them).

I wish I'd have thought of this thread before I threw the motherboard/CPU (Athlon)/etc away as they were working perfectly. They may still be in the bin outside, I'm not sure :|
Playing since December 2006
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Post by aP|Nelg »

Monkey wrote:@Lucifer
How is this going and do you still need any parts?
I've just recently taken apart my old computer that has been sitting in my lounge doing nothing. It was fully working, just a bit old. Some useful parts I salvaged from it are:
  • 2x Crucial 512MB DDR 266 184-pin Ram.
  • A passively cooled (no fan) SAPPHIRE ATI/AMD Radeon 9200SE (AGP slot) with 128MB DDR Ram. Outputs are VGA, S-Video and Composite Video.
  • A Realtek RTL8139C 100Mbps PCI Network Card (Ethernet).
Both the Ethernet card and the GPU card are low form factor (the front metal panel bits aren't but you can either unscrew them or just bend or cut them).

I wish I'd have thought of this thread before I threw the motherboard/CPU (Athlon)/etc away as they were working perfectly. They may still be in the bin outside, I'm not sure :|
Why would you throw away a perfectly working computer? It makes absolutely no sense to me. An AMD Athlon can still run Linux just fine. The RAM should be upgradeable, although 1GB would work, but not for multi-tabbed webbrowsing.

I'm typing this on a Pentium 4 machine.
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Post by aP|Nelg »

Lucifer wrote:CPU (and heat sink/fan)
Which socket type? 939? AM2? AM3?
Also, what motherboard?
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

aP|Nelg wrote:Why would you throw away a perfectly working computer?
Where I live, virtually nobody would want my computer, or its parts, due to its age; there are many more like it down at the local tip.
Playing since December 2006
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Post by aP|Nelg »

Monkey wrote:
aP|Nelg wrote:Why would you throw away a perfectly working computer?
Where I live, virtually nobody would want my computer, or its parts, due to its age; there are many more like it down at the local tip.
Poor computers. They could probably play ArmagetronAd too.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

aP|Nelg wrote:Why would you throw away a perfectly working computer? It makes absolutely no sense to me.
Ah, but there is a reason and I just discovered it recently. I have always used my computers way past their shelf life, but old computers are sometimes bad at energy efficiency. Let's say you have an ancient tower with a 450w power supply and you want to use it as a local server. It might actually be cheaper to use a newer but less power hungry computer for the same job. This is something I experienced about a year ago. I had been utilizing a laptop from 2004 as a outside accessible server (like a personal cloud) until a friend of mine offered me her newer, smaller 64-bit Dell Studio Hybrid jammed with more than twice the specs and less power consumption. I was sad to see the 32-bit laptop go into the e-waste bin, but you know, sometimes you gotta move on. Think about how energy efficient a Rasp Pi is compared to a similarly spec'd laptop or tower from years ago. Sometimes is just makes more sense to upgrade.