Ethernet card needed :(

Anything About Anything...
Lucifer
Project Developer

Ethernet card needed :(

Post by Lucifer »

Hey, I feel really odd asking if anybody's got a PCI express ethernet card laying about, since that's usually something you get from salvaging, and I've got like 5 salvage computers....

Anyway, I can pony up for shipping, but have to wait until payday for that. Anybody got an ethernet card they can toss my way, lemme know what shipping looks like. (I've already priced cross-atlantic shipping for a few things, so this is for US/Canada people at this point. Not worth $200 worth of shipping to get an ethernet card, heh)

Also, I specify PCI express because I'm not sure this computer has full PCI slots. I've forgotten what they look like. ;)

Goes without saying that it has to run in Linux, but I haven't encountered the ethernet card that doesn't run in Linux.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: Ethernet card needed :(

Post by sinewav »

Lucifer wrote:Also, I specify PCI express because I'm not sure this computer has full PCI slots.
I'll take a look around the lab and send you a list on Monday. There is probably something lying around.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Shipping something as small as a PCI card from here is far from prohibitive (7 Euos tops), I'd pay for that.

Two problems, though:
It'll be two weeks before I can get to my cache, and I definitely only have a regular PCI card on offer, no PCIE. And I'm not totally sure whether I have even that (but pretty sure). All boards with PCIE I ever had had onboard ethernet, so no need to buy an extra card. PCI is the one with the many connectors. Post a photo of your board and I'm sure someone will beat me in telling you how many of each port you have :)
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

I'll take whatever I can get, but don't ship until I look at a picture of a full PCI slot. If I recall correctly, PCIE is backwards compatible to PCI, provided the slot has all the pins.

THe specific project this is for is a PC-based router. I need more control over my internet than my cheesy cheap router gives me (as demonstrated by the mentally ill kid that keeps rationalizing not following the rules she makes for herself), but I'm lacking a wifi card. The PC slated for this project has two PCIE slots of slightly different sizes, and an onboard ethernet. So, to make this work, I need a total of three ethernet ports: 1 for the internet, 1 for the LAN switch, and one for the wifi router (used in lieu of a wifi card, where the cheap wifi router will become a simple pass-through device).

I won't have the fullest control I want until I have a wifi card, so if anybody has one of those to send instead, that'd be great. It has to support master mode in Linux, which is the rub for me, because I actually have three wifi cards that are loose right now, just that they all use ndiswrappers, which doesn't give me access to master mode. Ideally, it'll also be an 802.11N card, because our phones/tablets can go that fast, but G would be fine. So, if anybody has one of those laying around (which I doubt, they're pretty in demand right now), I'll take it, but I'm expecting to buy one at some point.

For that matter, an older, less power-intensive PC would be great, too, but now I'm just freeloading, heh. :)

Obviously the thing's going to run headless, managed via ssh (unless I dream up a web interface for it. I haven't found any web interfaces that look reasonable for what I want). Also, with the PC I'm putting it on, it would be the obvious place to put one of the official arma servers, whenever I get back to that project, because it'll have so much idle time just passing packets back and forth. It'll be the bored fireman just handing the bucket on to the next guy while working out General Relativity in his head.

- Iron Maiden
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Light »

I have two hp proliant dl380 g3 at work if you're interested in a server. Have one hdd that can go with them (still in packaging), but the rest I can't give out. It's two server drawers, so I'm not sure what it'd cost to ship, but we could find out. My bosses just want them gone and I don't have a use for them at home right now.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Light wrote:I have two hp proliant dl380 g3 at work if you're interested in a server. Have one hdd that can go with them (still in packaging), but the rest I can't give out. It's two server drawers, so I'm not sure what it'd cost to ship, but we could find out. My bosses just want them gone and I don't have a use for them at home right now.
What HDD interfaces do they support? Heh, I just looked at the spec page and forgot to check that... I have a couple of older IDE hard drives still, and a couple of loose SATA hard drives, so I probably have that covered.

Um, in terms of power consumption, I'm not seeing these being better than what I've got, but if shipping isn't too much, I know I can put them to work. (Hell, I might price coloc services on one of them and get off a vps. There's coloc locally available where I can just drive the server to them)

In in 78759, for shipping calculation purposes.

- Iron Maiden
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Yo dawg, I got three cards. I haven't looked up the models, but the res on these pics should be high enough for you to figure them out. Let me know if you want me to mail one or two out. Right now these are not technically considered e-waste in our lab, but we are probably not going to add them to a machine any time soon (or ever). If you want any of them I can probably convince the team that these are waste. Just let me know.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=v6kdvs&s=9
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=4kipoy&s=9
Light

Post by Light »

Lucifer wrote:What HDD interfaces do they support? Heh, I just looked at the spec page and forgot to check that... I have a couple of older IDE hard drives still, and a couple of loose SATA hard drives, so I probably have that covered.
A HDD also comes with it. The other ones have stuff on, so he just don't wanna accidentally send something out with our work stuff on. On the up-side, it's new in its package. lol
Lucifer wrote:Hell, I might price coloc services on one of them and get off a vps. There's coloc locally available where I can just drive the server to them
There's a few, but I need to stop acquiring servers. lol
Lucifer wrote:In in 78759, for shipping calculation purposes.
I'm in Columbus, OH. Not able to look up prices right now, but if you'd like to check out an estimate. I'm sure you can find the weight of them online. They're at my boss's house, so I just gotta pick them up when I get them for ya. Just let me know. :)
Light

Post by Light »

Sorry, Luci. Someone was quicker to accepting them and is coming to pick them up today.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

If none of the cards I posted will work I can post a few others I found this morning sitting in defunct workstations.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

I need to crack open the computer again and look at the slots. I did some research, and apparently I remembered wrong, and PCI and PCIE are not compatible, so I need to make sure what the slots are. I'll post pics when I get it open, but that could be a little bit (this is obviously a low priority project).

For future reference, though, @Light, yes, I'll take any rack server that has multimedia capabilities anybody offers me. I meant there to be a "yes" in my post responding to yours, so it's my own lookout that I screwed that up. ;) I have Rock Band drums that I want to set up with a head unit that'll turn them into real electronic drums. You know, amongst my many other projects. I need to stop doing so many things at once, heh.

- Iron Maiden
Light

Post by Light »

Lucifer wrote:For future reference, though, @Light, yes, I'll take any rack server that has multimedia capabilities anybody offers me. I meant there to be a "yes" in my post responding to yours, so it's my own lookout that I screwed that up. ;) I have Rock Band drums that I want to set up with a head unit that'll turn them into real electronic drums. You know, amongst my many other projects. I need to stop doing so many things at once, heh.
Sounds good. I didn't really pressure you for an instant answer because they've sat around for well over a year now. It was just bad luck that someone was finally wanting them at the same time. I also wasn't sure if you would find it worth it for whatever the shipping costs may be. They're not exactly small or light, and probably considered fragile so it don't get thrown around too bad.

If any more come up, I'll let ya know sooner.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

Lucifer wrote:You know, amongst my many other projects. I need to stop doing so many things at once, heh.
*cough* whatever happened to that book? ;)
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Word wrote:
Lucifer wrote:You know, amongst my many other projects. I need to stop doing so many things at once, heh.
*cough* whatever happened to that book? ;)
Started looking at it again. Had some Real Life crap get in the way, and now I have to go find an income and can't wait for a self-published book to make money. But I'm getting there. Fixed a few problems I was having with it, etc.

Back on the subject of the ethernet card, I tried plugging in a regular PCI card, and I'm pretty sure it's not a PCI slot. Here's the pic.
KIMG0036.JPG
That's definitely PCIX, right?

- Iron Maiden
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Also, the case is about an inch shorter than a standard ATX form factor case. Damn, that's going to make this unnecessarily difficult, isn't it?

- Iron Maiden