Spontaneous screen break (phone)

Anything About Anything...
S0lutai
Average Program

Spontaneous screen break (phone)

Post by S0lutai »

So I basically woke up this morning, grabbed the phone for a bit, dressed and put the phone on my pocket while I was making some coffee. And then I decide to grab it again and boom. Cracked screen. Naturally I was like WTF. It is not a big problem, because the phone still works, but aesthetically it looks bad for me. I've had it for around 3 years and this never happened. My best bets are because of a bad screen installation (which I honestly doubt) or maybe because of the cold (being one of the coldest days since last winter). Anyway, wonder if this has happened to anyone else? (I discard and accident while having it on my pocket, pretty sure I would be able to remember something like that)
A tragedy is commonplace but in the end they go away.
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Re: Spontaneous screen break (phone)

Post by ConVicT »

Is your phone's screen quite reflective?
Did you look directly at it when it broke?

In all seriousness though. Probably was the cold, and your leg has heat it up too fast.
What's it made of?
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Post by aP|Nelg »

S0lutai wrote:So I basically woke up this morning, grabbed the phone for a bit, dressed and put the phone on my pocket while I was making some coffee. And then I decide to grab it again and boom. Cracked screen. Naturally I was like WTF. It is not a big problem, because the phone still works, but aesthetically it looks bad for me. I've had it for around 3 years and this never happened. My best bets are because of a bad screen installation (which I honestly doubt) or maybe because of the cold (being one of the coldest days since last winter). Anyway, wonder if this has happened to anyone else? (I discard and accident while having it on my pocket, pretty sure I would be able to remember something like that)
You should be able to buy a new screen, depending on the phone.
Ratchet
Match Winner

Post by Ratchet »

ConVicT wrote:In all seriousness though. Probably was the cold, and your leg has heat it up too fast.
What's it made of?
That seems incredibly unlikely. He said he put it in his pocket and then went to make coffee. Even if it was 0 degrees Fahrenheit in his room and his leg was 80 degrees (unlikely that the surface of your leg ever gets that warm), the heat transfer couldn't possibly be fast enough to crack the screen. Hell, even if it was colder than that and he stuck it under his armpit, I doubt the temperature change could have happened fast enough. I've taken my phone out in the snow to take pictures and regularly stuck it against my body to warm it up (phones stop working at a certain temperature) so that it would keep working. My screen never cracked from something that drastic.

My hypothesis is that he leaned on the counter while making his coffee, perhaps with something such as a drawer handle poking against his phone. While it may not have felt like much force, a small amount of force in just the wrong place on the screen can definitely cause it to crack.
"Dream as if you'll live forever,
Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

I trusted him when he said he'd remember something like that.
Must be the ugly thing :lol:

I found this
It's almost like S0lutai posted it.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

After having recently done a thorough study of what kind of glass is actually put in smartphones, I'm going with "he accidentally cracked it somehow", but not necessarily by leaning against the counter. I've leaned over lots of fenders/grills/whatever while working on cars with a phone in my pocket and never once cracked the screen.

Also, the temperature difference is just plain wrong. Ignoring the part where the phone, by being powered on, generates plenty of heat, smart phone screens are designed to work with heat differentials between it's face and it's back. Phones get hot, and sometimes it's in a cold place. The materials the screens are made out of (glass derivatives, nothing like your house windows or anything) can easily handle large temperature differentials.

Or it was already cracked, like maybe you slapped it in your sleep and it hit the right spot to put a crack in it, and didn't notice until after your morning routine.

For the record: I did the study of cellphone glass because my wife bought a phone with Gorilla Glass in it, and I wanted to know what was special about Gorilla Glass. So after 72 wikipedia pages, and only remembering 10% of the content, I'm an expert.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Light »

Lucifer wrote:For the record: I did the study of cellphone glass because my wife bought a phone with Gorilla Glass in it, and I wanted to know what was special about Gorilla Glass. So after 72 wikipedia pages, and only remembering 10% of the content, I'm an expert.
Apparently it's better than you would even think it to be. We were making car windows (as a test sample) out of it, and even though it feels flimsy, nothing broke that whole day. And before you think it'd be a cheap window, there would be two pieces with vinyl in it, which makes a huge difference when you compare it to your phone. It was interesting though. Apparently it was a high priority because I got pulled over to help so they had someone that knew what to do there. lol Maybe it was put into production, but I don't remember what company it was for.
S0lutai
Average Program

Post by S0lutai »

Ratchet wrote:
ConVicT wrote:In all seriousness though. Probably was the cold, and your leg has heat it up too fast.
What's it made of?
That seems incredibly unlikely. He said he put it in his pocket and then went to make coffee. Even if it was 0 degrees Fahrenheit in his room and his leg was 80 degrees (unlikely that the surface of your leg ever gets that warm), the heat transfer couldn't possibly be fast enough to crack the screen. Hell, even if it was colder than that and he stuck it under his armpit, I doubt the temperature change could have happened fast enough. I've taken my phone out in the snow to take pictures and regularly stuck it against my body to warm it up (phones stop working at a certain temperature) so that it would keep working. My screen never cracked from something that drastic.

My hypothesis is that he leaned on the counter while making his coffee, perhaps with something such as a drawer handle poking against his phone. While it may not have felt like much force, a small amount of force in just the wrong place on the screen can definitely cause it to crack.
well, IDK. Pretty sure I could toss it from a second floor and still get a better result than, well, this:

A tragedy is commonplace but in the end they go away.
Ratchet
Match Winner

Post by Ratchet »

Gorilla glass is in most phones. Their advertising ploy is "it's the same glass that is used for helicopter windshields!"
"Dream as if you'll live forever,
Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

So is it, or is it not the battery like my link suggests?
[Anonymous]
Round Winner

Post by [Anonymous] »

Aww Poor phone! Hope you get a new one buddy (:
<snip>
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Post by aP|Nelg »

[Anonymous] wrote:Aww Poor phone! Hope you get a new one buddy (:
You're playing nice, I see. What are you planning on that ;)