Car problems

Anything About Anything...
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Re: Car problems

Post by kyle »

Lucifer wrote:There is a hard start condition.

I'm pretty sure it's the fuel pump, but I want measurements. So I need to buy a gauge.
Well try turning it to on and then back off a few time before starting it. if it start sight up after 3 or 4 times of that, that would also be a strong indicator of the fuel pump not working properly. Since each time you turn it to on the fuel pump runs.
Hoax
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Hoax »

Lucifer wrote:
Hoax wrote:Could try just quickly cleaning the egr valve if you have the time
I meant to comment on this. The code is excessive flow. That would typically be caused by something like a vacuum leak, or otherwise loss of vacuum (as in a failing fuel pump and the problems that go with that).
True but I would still want to eliminate this and say the maf completely. Hope it's not the pump but at least youd know what it is
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Hoax wrote:
Lucifer wrote:
Hoax wrote:Could try just quickly cleaning the egr valve if you have the time
I meant to comment on this. The code is excessive flow. That would typically be caused by something like a vacuum leak, or otherwise loss of vacuum (as in a failing fuel pump and the problems that go with that).
True but I would still want to eliminate this and say the maf completely. Hope it's not the pump but at least youd know what it is
Well, we could be looking at the DPFE. ;) I've never seen a bad one cause these symptoms, but then again, with each repair the car has been improving, so obviously there's been a pile of maintenance that hasn't been done. Anyway, the DPFE can directly cause the P0402, since that's what it does, open and close the EGR valve and measure the flow.

But between the MAF, DPFE, and fuel pump, the easiest to troubleshoot is actually the fuel pump. If I didn't feel like I need to measure fuel pressure in the lines from a location behind where the fire was, I'd probably go ahead and do the pump, since everything else points so strongly at it.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

My sweet wonderful wife ordered a fuel pressure tester for me tonight. So I will be pursuing that line of diagnostics in the near future.

Also, my wife rocks. Lucky you if you find someone better. Good luck with that. ;)

- Iron Maiden
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Still waiting for the fuel pressure tester, but in the meantime, the new car developed an interesting problem. The front-end, felt primarily through the steering wheel, would vibrate, getting worse at higher speeds.

I inflated the tires, and the problem, at least at low speeds, is gone. Haven't gone to highway speeds since then. Well, I have, but it was only 65mph, for a short time.

- Iron Maiden
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Well, the fuel pressure is 32 psi at idle. Spec is 30-45 psi. So, fuel pump is good.

Next to check is the MAF sensor, I suppose. Then it's back to the ignition system. Or a compression check, and I think I still have a compression gauge. Have to look and see. If not, I guess I need one. ;)

- Iron Maiden
Hoax
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Hoax »

Wheel balance?
Never knew how similar the rear lights looked and with compression talk, you might as well be driving an rx7 :lol: