Car problems

Anything About Anything...
Lucifer
Project Developer

Re: Car problems

Post by Lucifer »

kyle wrote:I read all that too when I was searching, and decided in the end to take a gamble with the one I linked you, based on the comments on amazon. I'm not 100% sure that it supports everything, but I've used it on a 99 sable, which should be pretty similar to the 96 Taurus.
Same production car, heh.

I found this one after all the research:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bluetooth-Wirel ... 28&vxp=mtr

I like the price, and checked out the company. Seller has lots of positive comments. I'll see if my wife's ok with another $8 in her car (free shipping for US customers).

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Kinda Slow
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Kinda Slow »

I would go here http://www.taurusclub.com and browse.

Never worked on a Ford , but if I had to guess I would say the misfire was/is fuel mixture related which would fit with a vacuum leak as much as EGR code would.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Well, the car is still steadily improving after putting new gas in it, so I'm suspecting that $4 bottle of snake oil caused a problem. At the same time, these other problems were already happening, sooooo, I guess we'll see. For now, the only thing I can do is drive it.

I've found those taurus forums before. Anytime you search anything they come up, so I've read a fair amount of stuff there. I just really don't like the shade tree community, so I only read, never register and participate over there.

Also, my wife ordered the OBDII adapter I linked. It'll be here shortly. So I'm basically waiting for that and focusing on acquiring the nissan.

- Iron Maiden
breeze
Average Program

Post by breeze »

I'm not sure about the EGR valve code. You need to reset the computer and see what comes back. I'm almost certain your fuel pump is on it's way out. One of these days your car isn't going to start, or worse stall when you're stopped at a light. I'm surprised your not getting a (P0420) cat code, you'll most definitely need to replace that before emissions testing. I'd be tempted to pull the after cat O2 sensor to possibly prevent it from getting fouled.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

I reset the computer, the light's back on. I'm waiting for that OBDII interface to get here.

I probably won't get another P0420 because I did the oil-fouler O2 sensor mod that tricks the computer into thinking the cat works. I'll get a P0430 as soon as I put enough miles on it to clear the catalyst monitor.

So, I have codes but I can't read them yet. ;) Maybe today's the day? According to the shipper, ETA for the OBDII interface is the 30th. :(

- Iron Maiden
Ratchet
Match Winner

Post by Ratchet »

Lucifer wrote:I reset the computer, the light's back on. I'm waiting for that OBDII interface to get here.

I probably won't get another P0420 because I did the oil-fouler O2 sensor mod that tricks the computer into thinking the cat works. I'll get a P0430 as soon as I put enough miles on it to clear the catalyst monitor.

So, I have codes but I can't read them yet. ;) Maybe today's the day? According to the shipper, ETA for the OBDII interface is the 30th. :(
I purchased one similar to the one you ordered for my dad for Christmas. I'm sure you're aware since the product mentions "for android" but there's a $5 app on android that interfaces with it. It's a really nifty gadget.
"Dream as if you'll live forever,
Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Ratchet wrote:
I purchased one similar to the one you ordered for my dad for Christmas. I'm sure you're aware since the product mentions "for android" but there's a $5 app on android that interfaces with it. It's a really nifty gadget.
Torque. There's a free version that should give me what I need right away, and if it does, I will gladly pay the $5 for the full version. I'm way too much of a car guy to stick with the disabled apps for that. :)

On a side note, Ratchet, I really wanted to prank-ban you for your post in the Affray 1 thread, but showed some discretion and didn't. :) But you know it would have been fun! (For both of us, I hope)

Edit:

As for the Taurus, I'm heavily leaning towards fuel pump. I need to wait a few weeks before I can buy an appropriate fuel pressure tester, and I'm not going to just throw a fuel pump at it and hope for the best. I need to run the actual test series to be sure, since I'll be doing it in an apartment complex parking lot with hand tools and jack stands.

Today I acquired a 1992 Nissan Maxima. I'm going to pay for it by bartering tutoring services with the option to pay in cash should we have it (got it from a friend, where your word is your bond sort of thing). Total price is $500. Solid engine (I ran the vacuum test on it). It has a few quirks, because, well, you know, it's old. But it runs well, and it's the first car that I could call mine since my Celica crapped out in OK City in 2011. We'll be a two car family when I get the Taurus back on the road, and in the meantime, this Maxima should fill in the gaps quite well.

- Iron Maiden
Ratchet
Match Winner

Post by Ratchet »

Yes, that's it.
Lucifer wrote:On a side note, Ratchet, I really wanted to prank-ban you for your post in the Affray 1 thread, but showed some discretion and didn't. :) But you know it would have been fun! (For both of us, I hope)
I probably wouldn't have noticed, unless it was >2 days
"Dream as if you'll live forever,
Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Scanned.
Attachments
Screenshot_2016-01-31-01-22-17.png

- Iron Maiden
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

Maybe it is a vacuum leak, I know I had a line fall off on mine. The plastic wore out and I ended up putting a hose clamp on it to hold it on. It was on the drivers side, but back toward the cabin, above where the transmission fluid can be checked.
Hoax
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Hoax »

Could try just quickly cleaning the egr valve if you have the time
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

kyle wrote:Maybe it is a vacuum leak, I know I had a line fall off on mine. The plastic wore out and I ended up putting a hose clamp on it to hold it on. It was on the drivers side, but back toward the cabin, above where the transmission fluid can be checked.
That was about where the fire was, the bank 2 cat is right under that. I guess I'll take another look, but I thought I'd followed all the vacuum lines in that area.

- Iron Maiden
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Hoax wrote:Could try just quickly cleaning the egr valve if you have the time
I meant to comment on this. The code is excessive flow. That would typically be caused by something like a vacuum leak, or otherwise loss of vacuum (as in a failing fuel pump and the problems that go with that).

So, I went looking for vacuum leaks again. That hose you were talking about, @Kyle, is part of the evap system. I don't have any evap codes, though, which I should have if it were leaking. But it also goes under the car, so I really want to put it on a lift to check it out.

Otherwise, the PCV valve rattled like it's supposed to, but could have been bad anyway. The seal between the valve and the grommet it sat in was terrible, though, and could have accounted for a small vacuum leak. Replaced the valve and it's working fine, but the problems continue.

It's looking more and more like a bad fuel pump, but we're not ready to buy the gauge to test it. :/

- Iron Maiden
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

I never had a code when mine was off. I just knew it came off because it would not run that great. I popped the hood several times when I got somewhere and popped it back on before I decided to put a hose clamp on it. But I guess it never did cause a backfire. It just ran rough.

I'm starting to lean more towards the valves inside the engine are not sealing very good.

Also have you had any trouble starting the car up on the first turn of the key? If so the fuel pump is defiantly bad.

Now this makes me think of
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

There is a hard start condition.

I'm pretty sure it's the fuel pump, but I want measurements. So I need to buy a gauge.

- Iron Maiden