whats the dumbest thing you have ever done ?

Anything About Anything...
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Sabarai wrote: :o Our weeks are 40 hours long, thus proves that Dutch are more efficient than Germans :P (j/k alright?)
Um, no. Efficiency can be defined as the ratio of work accomplished divided by time spent. You've only provided time spent, and if we assume the standardized tests measure the same level of mastery upon completion of school, then work accomplished must be equal between the Dutch and the Germans. In which case, the Dutch would be less efficient.

(I think it's like 36 hours/week here in Texas, and since Texas High School kids graduate with roughly a 5-th grade education from back when I was in school, I think it's safe to say that Texas education, and through extrapolation the rest of the US, since Texas ranks pretty high, is definitely less efficient than either the Dutch or the Germans)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Sabarai
The Former Man of Cheese

Post by Sabarai »

Well, we do it in 6 years and Germans in 9 years.. :P
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Well, on the other hand, we learn to add up numbers. We have 4 years of elementary scool, and according to your description, you have eight. Sums up to 13 years for us (has been squeezed to twelve recently in some districts as Tree says), yours sums up to 14.
juwb
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by juwb »

School was still a waste of time...
Sabarai
The Former Man of Cheese

Post by Sabarai »

First 2 years are learning how to play with other people and the last year is half a year. Also in 3rd year it's partly playing...
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Sabarai wrote:First 2 years are learning how to play with other people and the last year is half a year. Also in 3rd year it's partly playing...
Really impressive what you learn at school :)
Now, seriously, all I wanted to show is that comparing the number of years (that you started) of school is nonsense. You probably learn to calculate with fractions and solve basic equations in elementary school; for us, that is done in the first year of higher education. You learn some things in elementary school that we already learn in Kindergarten. So what?
Sabarai
The Former Man of Cheese

Post by Sabarai »

True true..

Why does higher education start so early in Germany?
Fonkay
Match Winner

Post by Fonkay »

I'm still interested in the stupidity. Anyone have more stories to keep us on topic?
Sabarai
The Former Man of Cheese

Post by Sabarai »

I once chopped myself in my hand with an axe.. you?
Fonkay
Match Winner

Post by Fonkay »

I mentioned in another thread that I've stapled my hand on more than one occasion, but I guess that's not really the same thing.
Walking Tree
Match Winner

Post by Walking Tree »

Sabarai wrote:
Walking Tree wrote:3. the high level (gymnasium lol) takes 8 years. until 3 years ago, it was 9 years. I am on the 9-year-system. my brother is 8-year system, 3 years younger than me. I have 30 hrs a week, he 34. after this you can go to uni.

oh, and no smoking at school. which is good. :P
:o Our weeks are 40 hours long, thus proves that Dutch are more efficient than Germans :P (j/k alright?)
ok... let's see:

I am in 9th year of school. I turn 15 in a month. I have never had to repeate a class. 30 45-minute lessons a week (of which 2 are sports)
my brother is in 6th year. he turns 12 in july 2006. he has never repeated either. 34 45-minute lessons a week (of which 4 are sports)

and you, sab ? with 14/15 or 11/12 ? I believe that the dutch are more efficient, but I want to get it 100% straight. and, as I said, german school systems differ. refer to bavarians.
on the grid as ~free::zombie~
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

A lot of us are going with injury stories, so I'll just continue with that. This one's kinda gorey. When I was thirteen, I was sitting in the den playing something like Choplifter or Defender on our old Apple II/e :D . I finished playing and got up to leave the room. We had these French doors. If you don't know what those are, here's a pic:

The door was shut, and also the knob had been absent for awhile. Normally, one would just push on the outer frame to open it. Well, in my clumsiness and lack of paying attention I missed the frame and pushed my right hand directly through one of the glass panes (this is the dumb part). Reflexively, I jerked it back through. I looked down and had a gash through my wrist that was already pouring blood. Naturally, I freaked out.

We wrapped a towel around it and all jumped in the car and drove to the hospital. My pops kept telling me to calm down so my heart wouldn't beat as fast so the blood wouldn't pour out as quickly. So we get to the hospital and run to the triage counter. They took a look and saw that, fortunately, the glass had missed the major vein there, as it was a horizontal cut. Also, upon further inspection, it just barely missed the tendons, which is really good. It got right down to them, they were fully exposed, but didn't even nick them. Had one been severed, I'd have been in a world of trouble.

Anyway, the doc said he could tell by the direction of the cut that it was actually the jerking back through the broken pane that cut me. I got like 31 stitches, both internal and external, and had to wear a brace for a month or so to prevent myself from bending my wrist and pulling any of the stitches.

I still have a prominent, thick scar about two inches in length, running sort of diagonally across the upper part of my wrist, with about a centimeter stretching to my palm. The scars from the stitches are even still very visible. There's a smaller stitched scar beneath it as well. I never think about it, of course, but I'm sure there are strangers that sometimes wonder whether I tried to off myself. I know people have asked me about it after I've recently made their acquaintance/friendship. I say no, and then get to tell them this story, heh.
Sabarai
The Former Man of Cheese

Post by Sabarai »

11/12 -> 40 hours of which 3 sports...
14/15 -> 40 hours of which 2 sports...

But hence to our new school system i now, 16/17 only have to go 18 hours to school, and study the other 22 hours myself. Self education and if there's trouble i can go to a teacher. This way each and everyone can work in it's own pace...
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Here's one about my wife.

Our garage is attached to the house. We don't put cars in it, we have a trailer and a bunch of other stuff in it. We also have this problem where the garage door doesn't latch very easiy when you close it. So it's common for the garage door to open whenever you close the front door with any significant force.

So, awhile back I warned my wife. She locks the garage door handle and swears that that solves the problem with the door popping open. I told her it didn't work and that she needed to lock the deadbolt. THen I told her that if she didn't lock the deadbolt, and the door wasn't latched, then our youngest kid could open the door, go into the garage, close the door and latch it, and be locked in the garage.

She didn't believe me, I guess.

Well, today, it happened, but not to the youngest kid. Instead it happened to my wife directly. :)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
TiTnAsS
Match Winner

Post by TiTnAsS »

juwb wrote:School was still a waste of time...
No wonder your a fool..
Damn, it sure has been a while!