whats the dumbest thing you have ever done ?

Anything About Anything...
Sabarai
The Former Man of Cheese

Post by Sabarai »

Hahahahhaa Why not buy new wingnuts?

(tsk tsk, criving at 12 and 16... tsk tsk tsk)
juwb
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by juwb »

Mine's pretty similar to iceman's... it involves a 220V AC, two nails, a horseshoe magnet, a toddler (me), and a very bright blinding flash of light (several minutes blindness actually). The magnet had a very thin (<1mm) red plastic "isolation" around it... lucky me didn't touch the nails directly.

I think I did the most stupid things as a kid... like running out onto a street from between two parking cars when there was a car speeding into my direction (lucky the guy hit the brakes real hard, poor bloke got a real shock).

When me mum went to a swimming bath with me for the first time, we brought some diving goggles... my mum spent ages in the bath with talking to a friend instead of swimming, so I just took the goggles (thinking I could dive with them) and went in... well, turns out you can't breathe under water without a snorkel so I was standing there with my goggles on gulping water... I would have drowned but luckily someone noticed what happened before it was to late.

I actually managed to climb up a tree once and not manage to come back down. I was rescued by my father with a ladder.

One time I managed to lock myself in - in my own house. Still was a kid then. In our house, we had old-fashioned keys for all doors, and I collected them, locked every door, and managed to lose the keys somewhere (up a cupboard, below a bed). Anyway, they had to rescue me with a ladder through some window...

One time I managed to get caught in bed with a ten year old girl from the neighborhood (I was the same age just so you know). I had no sisters and she had no brothers so we figured it would be interesting to see what the other looks like (this was at a time when 10 year olds still didn't really know about sex). So we didn't do anything. But still, her grandmother found us together and nearly got a seizure. :lol: I got into a lot of trouble because of that and it took me a lot of time to get over that experience (Actually I'm not quite sure I'm over it yet).

Then there was the time we had a school exchange with some school in Greece. The teachers made one grave mistake: they handed out the tickets early (on the airport) and although I thought I stashed it safely into my jacket, somehow I still managed to lose it. After a lot of panic and frantic searching I found it in a trolley... no one of us used a trolley so I think I must've dropped it onto the floor and someone picked it up and put it there.

I wanted to commit suicide when I was eight years old. I planned it out and everything... nabbed a knife from the kitchen and hid it in my school bag... after school, I went to some old abandoned hut in the nearby forest, put down the bag, took out the knife, held it in front of me, and... well, and nothing. I really wanted to stab myself at the time but didn't manage to. Thank god I'm such a pathetic loser. Went home, put knife back, cried myself to sleep...

That wasn't the only time I actually tried to kill myself, luckily I never succeeded. If you ever thought/think about suicide, I suggest you don't do it. It's very painful business with low success rate.
Sabarai
The Former Man of Cheese

Post by Sabarai »

juwb wrote:When me mum went to a swimming bath with me for the first time, we brought some diving goggles... my mum spent ages in the bath with talking to a friend instead of swimming, so I just took the goggles (thinking I could dive with them) and went in... well, turns out you can't breathe under water without a snorkel so I was standing there with my goggles on gulping water... I would have drowned but luckily someone noticed what happened before it was to late.
You weren't that smart back then were you? :P
I actually managed to climb up a tree once and not manage to come back down. I was rescued by my father with a ladder.
Gravity is always a fast way down :P
Fonkay
Match Winner

Post by Fonkay »

Sabarai wrote:Hahahahhaa Why not buy new wingnuts?

(tsk tsk, criving at 12 and 16... tsk tsk tsk)
16 is legal driving age here. 15 in some places. And there's no real age limit to driving 4wheelers (quads?) or dirt bikes. Just recommended age limits.

(At least I'm guessing that criving was a typo for driving.)
Sabarai
The Former Man of Cheese

Post by Sabarai »

That's nice... Here it's 18 for cars and 16 for other motorized vehicles :(

But still, 12...
Fonkay
Match Winner

Post by Fonkay »

I learned to drive a 4wheeler when I was about 9-10. Here, kids as young as 6-7 can compete in motocross tournments. They do have little kid sized bike though. Little Z50s and such.
Not at all unusual.
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Here's what stands out in my mind as the stupidiest thing I've done... Or at least in the top 10. For this to make sense, you must understand that American plugs are designed very, very stupidly. You may notice how like german/swedish plugs the sockets are deep, the contacts far apart, and/or only the ends are metal. The latter property being shared with UK plugs. What this does is prevent you from being able to touch any of the contacts simultaneously in 99% of the situations you can imagine. But the american system... Oh boy. Those outluets are flush, and in the plug the entire contact is metal, and they are close together, less than a finger width... Just explaining this for our european friends here. Well when I was about 8 I was in my room, playing with magnets, paperclips, and other amusing things. For some reason I thought it would be a good idea to hang a magnet up on a papclip, and hold the paper clip up by partially unplugging something, then putting the paper clip across both the contacts (hot & nuetral)... Good thing the magnet was mostly plastic, because as soon as I put it on, one of the contacts of the plug starting melting, like it was being sawed in half. Luckily I had the presence of mind to unplug it, but the damage was done. I had an undamaged paperclip, magnet, and left contact, but on the right... There was a semi circle of meta missing... And of course there was a lot of smoke.

Who said doing something stupid had to almost kill you? It's still stupid...
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

In Kentucky, it used to be that you could get your learner's permit at 15, and then license at 16. I think they've changed it now so that you have to be 16 before you get the learner's permit. I think they might even be requiring some kind of driver's education now.

The funny thing with the learner's permit was that you merely had to have anyone with a license in the car with you. Maybe they had to have had it for a year; I forget. But anyway, point being, with my permit I could drive with just a licensed buddy of mine in the car with me.

But Sabari, there are all kinds of differences in age requirements in different countries. Twenty-one to drink here; 18 to drink somewhere else—though it used to be 18 here. Is it true that Italy and/or France has no official drinking age? I forget. Age of consent for sex here is 18; in England it's 16 (unless you're a gay male, in which case it's 18, which is just stupid). And so on.

I agree, though—12 is kinda nutty, unless it's a go-cart on a track or something.

By the way, to my knowledge those 3-wheelers are banned.
Fonkay
Match Winner

Post by Fonkay »

3 wheelers are banned from being made, but as far as I know some of the well kept ones are still around, they're just old.

I'm not sure I have any stupid moments to share. Maybe it's a girl thing.
Sabarai
The Former Man of Cheese

Post by Sabarai »

Oscilloscope wrote: But SabarAi, there are all kinds of differences in age requirements in different countries. Twenty-one to drink here; 18 to drink somewhere else—though it used to be 18 here. Is it true that Italy and/or France has no official drinking age? I forget. Age of consent for sex here is 18; in England it's 16 (unless you're a gay male, in which case it's 18, which is just stupid). And so on.

I agree, though—12 is kinda nutty, unless it's a go-cart on a track or something.

By the way, to my knowledge those 3-wheelers are banned.
Hmm.. I was aware of the 21-age-limit for drinking in the US, 16 here... But anyway, the driving thing is really weird... First they let you drive, and then they let you experiment with alcohol...

And UK's nuts indeed :o
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Sabarai* :)

Sorry, don't know why I do that.
juwb
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by juwb »

Fonkay wrote:I learned to drive a 4wheeler when I was about 9-10. Here, kids as young as 6-7 can compete in motocross tournments. They do have little kid sized bike though. Little Z50s and such.
Not at all unusual.
In Germany, they sell kid sized bikes that can go VERY VERY FAST as toys. You're not allowed to drive on the streets with it or anything (if you were a kid and had such a toy, would you not do it?). Boy are these things dangerous. The police warned about them, there have been many accidents (some deadly).
Sabarai
The Former Man of Cheese

Post by Sabarai »

juwb wrote:In Germany, they sell kid sized bikes that can go VERY VERY FAST as toys. You're not allowed to drive on the streets with it or anything (if you were a kid and had such a toy, would you not do it?). Boy are these things dangerous. The police warned about them, there have been many accidents (some deadly).
Of all things that are allowed here and not in the rest of the world, those bikes are illegal here...
Fonkay
Match Winner

Post by Fonkay »

Yea, the Honda dirtbikes they sell for kids are 110CC, 4 stroke bikes, that can easily go 100km/h (approx 60 mph). Not the safest thing, but to compete you do have to have the full outfit. Protection everywhere. My ex used to do it.
DrJoeTr0n
"On a Roll. Paper wise."

Post by DrJoeTr0n »

Iceman, I'm suprised your constant neutral dropping of that poor car didnt kill it in the first place.