The Devil made me do it.

Anything About Anything...
nicolas.b
Grid Clown
Location: west philly Quotation: "Everybody's stuck being a moderator, but me. Sweet!"

The Devil made me do it.

Post by nicolas.b »

wow, it's been a... long long time since i visited here. the last message i see in my inbox is from 10 years ago. :)

ten years ago i was still mad on arma, pinball, basketball, guitar... stuff like that. none of that holds today. for sport now i play table tennis -- i even have a table and a robot in my apt -- and for fun i drink beers and sing karaoke.

hey lucy-- i was watching a blondie video the other day and noticed the lead guy playing this mother-beast. only US$3,500(!)

comes in neat color schemes, too. collect them all!

any old-timers here? and i mean ancient-timers in the arma sense. :P
Lucifer
Project Developer

Re: The Devil made me do it.

Post by Lucifer »

Heh, I'm still here. I guess I'm a second-wave player.

That guitar looks pretty rockin'. I'd hit that. Oddly, the first thing I thought when I saw the picture was "I bet I could make this out of fiberglass", then I read the article and saw it was made out of carbon fiber. I wonder what it'd sound like with a SD Hotrail in it?

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
nicolas.b
Grid Clown
Location: west philly Quotation: "Everybody's stuck being a moderator, but me. Sweet!"

Post by nicolas.b »

let's see. the earliest ppl i remember are:

noderunner
eggcozy
subby
iceman
locutus
magination
morrow
your mom
...and of course tank

i think node was the one who either created or added those cool / cute smilies here.

yeah i remember you coming in around the time i was moving on to gunbound. this project certainly has benefited from your work and presence if i'm understanding history correctly.

i didn't even realise they were making guitars out of carbon-fibre until i saw that handle thing above. makes sense, tho... even my table tennis paddle is engineered with carbon and glass fibres.

what also intrigues me is whether being hollow, it creates just enough vibration to function semi-acoustically. that's what i like about my danelectro, for example-- it makes enough sound to function around a campfire and stuff.

wow, i guess i'm the only ancient-timer that showed, eh? :S
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Ah, the old guys.

n54 left to deal with his illness. I suspect something else may have happened, but can't confirm it so I keep my suspicions to myself. :/

I haven't seen eggcozy in awhile, but he was playing Ladles up to fairly recently.

Subby, Locutus, and Your_mom still show up every now and then. Locutus was on my Facebook friendlist last I checked. So is radian, but I think he came in after you left.

Iceman left under unusual circumstances, but if you want to know, you'll have to search the archives (we don't generally talk about the circumstances because we have no way to know, other than Matrox, who also disappeared right after that)

Magination and morrow are both gone for good, I guess. One of them (I forget which) showed up a few years back, made a few drive-by posts, and then disappeared again.

And one you didn't mention, /dev/null is hanging around, reminding us what "rabble" looks like. ;) (He's also quit responding to my trolling, sadly)

Verement showed up on his own, responding to a thread about goshdarn settings, making his third ever post. Still waiting to see if he shows up at least one more time to give us everything so we can make a clone. ;)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
nicolas.b
Grid Clown

Post by nicolas.b »

/dev/null might have been after my time, or at least i barely remember him.

oh and i just remembered "root down" and this croatian guy (i think) who had in his signature the line: "there's always a few kernals that don't pop. those kernals have integrity." and someone like "ender" who was this sort of faux-legend.

i was pretty good friends with subby and n54 for years after subby started his own forum. still have his wife frizza on my FB acct. oh yeah, there was an older fellow named "freewheelin" who was with us. he had a daughter that would sometimes play, but i can't remember her name right now. i wanna say "lavender," but that's not it.

a couple months ago i installed the portable apps version of arma. i mainly wanted to see what the geometric arenas looked like, but i couldn't seem to find them. i remember that was a big advance after manuel came back or something like that.

i also remember some guy and his followers who found a way to break through the arena walls... usually crashing the server, necessitating a reboot. hopefully that got patched.

just took a look at one of the other threads here, and wow... it's right back to high school again.
nicolas.b
Grid Clown

Post by nicolas.b »

lucifer, i think the flaw in your nice gesture comes down to this--

us ancients played the game religiously. these new guys play the game religiously. but unless you have access to a time machine, there's pretty much zero connection upon the two groups.

if i may toot our horn, we had a barrel-full of fun in the old days teasing each other and being silly. things were pretty tight and cool... TEN years ago.

but dude, what if your problem (like i've had multiple times across various projects), is that when you -really- invest in something, you tend to expect a certain amount of recompense?

well...... what if ppl feel entitled to gifts and eventually it's no longer perceived as a gift, end of the day?

what then, yo? does that produce kids being helpers or kids being obnoxious brats...?

only you can prevent forest fires
--smokey the bear.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

nicolas.b wrote:and this croatian guy (i think) who had in his signature the line: "there's always a few kernals that don't pop. those kernals have integrity."
Hey, that was me! I had totally forgotten that line, let alone that I used it as a sig. To be exact, it goes: "There are also always those burnt, hard kernels at the bottom that don't pop. You know why they don't pop? They don't pop because they have integrity." It's from Marc Maron.

But no, I'm not Croatian, heh. Not sure where that might've come from.

Oh, notice my "Formerly Oscilloscope." That'd be the name you'd recognize, if you remember me at all.
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Lackadaisical »

Hi Nic, I remember! Good to see you are doing well.

I stopped playing regularly two years ago or so, but even then I didn't come across Armagoshdarn regulars for a long time on the grid. At that point people started calling people old timers which were at least two 'generations' after me! :)

I guess the biggest things you missed were the rise of fortress/sumo game modes and competitions, it's a shame you weren't around because I think you would enjoy the increased competitiveness. Never too late to pick up the game again though.
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Good to hear from you again nic! I'm glad there are a few of us old timers still hanging around on occaision, even if not many of us are still active players.
locutus
Match Winner
Location: MST [Quotation: "No Good Deed Ever Goes Unpunished.."]

Post by locutus »

I'm still here too
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Good to see you, loc. :)
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

I probably wasnt playing as /dev/null in your time, more likely I was m$ sucks **** or Bombing. I used to still think clans were useful then. Root and Mom were my guys, we almost always ran together, so likely you just didnt connect my forum name with my ingame name. I use a different now usually. Either HAIL SATAN! or GSV Meatfucker

As a sidenote, I saw freewheelin about a year ago, he still exists.

I didnt join the forums till after a year or so of playing.

Also, fort/sumo while fun, are a ******* taint upon tron, their rubber has NEVER worked right. Those modes are a good contribution as to why few of the new players can grind or tunnel. I really wish someone less lazy than me would look into that issue and fix it.

I still play regularly, but generally not on high rubber shitfests, they tend to be tedious and not terribly exciting.

Hit up Mud Puddle, Shrunkland, or Even the various submarines if you want something akin to the old experince.