So I made this game..

Anything About Anything...
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner

So I made this game..

Post by Lackadaisical »

And it's basically just like Armagetron.

I've been trying to teach myself some javascript and a bit more modern web development, partly because if I ever want to switch careers I'd like to be able to show that I can actually do things.

Anyway, it's a silly 2D game with Armagetron-like physics (speed up with walls, slow down by turning) for two local players.

You can find it at:
http://kingsofthegrid.net/lackattack

Source is also available at:
https://github.com/lckdscl/lackattack

The code is a mess though and probably not very inviting. (I have a newfound respect for people who design software)

Feedback is welcome, but I can't guarantee I will do many more updates on this :) Mostly just wanted to get this 'out there'.
Durf
Match Winner

Re: So I made this game..

Post by Durf »

If you keep working on it, I could help give it some 3D substance.

Also, if you have your own server, try installing node.js (for server side javascript), and perhaps this could be played with others on the internet!

All in all, well done. Lookin' smexy.
No rubber though. :<
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

I would be lying if I said this was anything less than awesome.
orion
Match Winner

Post by orion »

4.5 stars! well done
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Lackadaisical »

Thanks guys :) Glad you liked it.

@Durf: I think the view of the 2D playing field is actually one of the things i'm happiest with :P, but yeah after sleeping on it I will probably continue working on it. I've been dreaming about tablet support/loop around grids/scoring systems/multiplayer/etc.. Basically too many ideas and not enough time. The initial incredibly ambitious idea was actually to make some kind of webclient for armagetron, but it was quickly reduced in scope to 'let's see if i can make this bike notice when it hits a wall'.
Since you seem more familiar with this kinda stuff, do you perhaps know good places to talk about making games for the web and so?

@sine: You have an older computer right? was it a bit smooth/playable? I really didn't optimize anything, and my computer is fast enough that it probably hides some of my mistakes. Trying to gauge whether optimization is something worth investing time in.
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

Lackadaisical wrote:older computer
I'm on a 2007 dell laptop (or 2008, don't remember). I mean, I don't think of it as old (it's the newest computer I've ever had :D) but yeah. No lag whatsoever for me.
Nice game :star:

As for feedback: a way of zooming in/out with ease would be a cool feature. I can see how the current size is most practical, but a more zoomed in view should be more fun to play with. Also, Player 1 (to the left) uses the arrow keys (to the right on the keyboard) and vice versa, might be worth swapping?
Speed meter and "fastest:" could be fun, but not important in any way.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Titanoboa wrote:I'm on a 2007 dell laptop (or 2008, don't remember).
Same here, but running Ubuntu x64 with XFCE. I have a 32-bit copy of this OS on my drive, maybe later I will try your game on that. The play was smooth. Just needs some killer AI now.
Durf
Match Winner

Post by Durf »

Actually...no I don't think so...at least not that I know of.
(somewhere you can go to talk about game dev for the web)

But yea, I have made a few games, used to make them in Flash but have since moved over to html5 canvas.
If you want to talk to me, by all means send over a PM; any questions you have, I'll be glad to help.

To be honest, I had/have much of the same ambitions (armagetron webclient)
So the competitive side of me (yea there is one, somewhere in there) is a little mad that you are doing this first.
But overall I'm happy and want to help in any way I can (or I might take it upon myself to make another version...who knows, I want to do too many things at once)

But yea, I have some experience, especially with javascript games and optimization.
Lemme know if you need anything ;D

(P.S - when I suggested 3D, it isn't impossible to have a 2D canvas on the same page like a mini-map; there could easily be an option to switch between views, after all its the same game no matter the view its played in.)
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Very cool Lack! I would suggest that as soon as someone starts playing the help menu automatically disappear with a note someplace on the page to tell the players how to bring it back. Very smooth, and really reminded me of 0.2.6.0. AI? ;)
Core Dumper

Post by *16 »

Neat job.

It made me think of 'curve fever' (1).
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

Nicely done, Lacka. Put in some touch controls so I can play on my phone! :D
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

That... is a really awesome idea. How about the accelerometer? The cycle could always go in the direction of gravity...
hqqns

Post by hqqns »

Hey Lacka, it's me.

Excellent work on that game!

Very smooth on my 2.5 year old mac book pro retina using Safari.

:D
Durf
Match Winner

Post by Durf »

Tank Program wrote:That... is a really awesome idea. How about the accelerometer? The cycle could always go in the direction of gravity...
Device orientation:
http://www.html5rocks.com/en/tutorials/ ... ample.html

Should be fairly easy if he wants to add it in.
I agree it could be neat; might be hard to control though :s
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Lackadaisical »

Thanks for the nice comments everyone.

I added some support for touch screen devices - you can start a new game by pressing the header and control the bikes by swiping across the lines in the big rectangle underneath the view. For some reason I don't see the lines on my phone, but yeah swiping still works, it's just a bit more of a guessing game.

@subby: nice to see ya again :D glad you liked it