Homeworld

Anything About Anything...
delinquent
Match Winner

Homeworld

Post by delinquent »

Any of you lot had any luck getting 1 or 2 running under win7? I don't even have a diag, the program just instantly closes.
Misery
Round Winner

Re: Homeworld

Post by Misery »

I have Homeworld 2. Great game! :)
I've ran it under Win 7 just fine.

edit: That would be Win 7 64 bit.
"Music can name the unnameable and communicate the unknowable."
~Leonard Bernstein
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

I'm not familiar with the game, but have you tried running it under compatibility mode?

Also, there's apparently a remastered collector's edition in the pipe that will include 1&2 (both classic and remastered), plus a light-up model, heh.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/10/570355 ... rs-edition
Misery
Round Winner

Post by Misery »

OK... This is assuming that you have a legit copy of HW2 and are running Win 7 64 bit.

Install the game like you normally would and then install the 1.1 update. When you run the game, you WILL get 2 warnings saying something about video.. blah blah blah... agp.. pci.. something. Just ignore them. Then go into video settings and MAKE SURE you have V-sync enabled to fix the nasty camera bug that happens in Win 7. You can also edit the resolution for widescreen in your PLAYERCFG.LUA file located in your Profiles folder.
Just change the values in the "screenResolutionW = XXXX" and "screenResolutionH = XXXX" lines. "XXXX" being the resolution you want to set. This will stretch the HUD, but the game still plays in the proper aspect ratio.

That's all I had to do! Granted... I have UAC and DEP turned off. I remember reading somewhere years back that DEP might not let HW2 run. If you have any problems... let me know.

And Pytotron... Thank you for the info on the remastered edition! Made me reinstall to get my chops back again for the new release. :)
~Leonard Bernstein
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

@Misery DEP was my issue! Turns out the Trinity engine I'm using to render models in really doesn't like DEP when it's not running under Eve Online. Some handles are there, but when they doen't match the md5 signature of the eve client, you're screwed.

But yes, HW2 now runs in beautiful 4k! It's such a nice engine, plus the redrawn graphics from that swedish site really do look wonderful.
Misery
Round Winner

Post by Misery »

Awesome! Glad you got it sorted out.

And redrawn graphics?! Ooooooo.... you must post a link to the new shinies! :D
~Leonard Bernstein
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

https://www.youtube.com/redirect?q=http ... E1MjA4NjU1

I'm not sure if that's the most recent torrent, but it's the one I'm using. It's only a minor difference with the original engine mind you, but if you can get the checksums to figure themselves out and run Trinity you'll notice the depth on a ridiculous scale.

Mind you, I only managed to get this to work because of the platform I'm on, I run a heavily modified Xeon in a 775 socket, with a dynamic voltage switch on contact 34. I wouldn't try this yourself, it took me a month to figure out the total resistance of the thread distribution circuit and even then I had a struggle getting L2 to play nice.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

The Art of Homeworld. Enjoy.

Hope you're doing well, Misery.