Hot Sauces

Anything About Anything...
Misery
Round Winner

Hot Sauces

Post by Misery »

Don't know if anyone will care... but I JUST had to share!

Lookie what I got in the mail today... Satan's Blood Chile Extract! Mmmmmmmmm... :twisted:
Attachments
Tasty.
Tasty.
"Music can name the unnameable and communicate the unknowable."
~Leonard Bernstein
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Re: Hot Sauces

Post by Phytotron »

That can't end well.

I think I can't taste my beer as well anymore because of Sriracha overuse. And sambal oelek. And Louisiana hot sauce. And salsa. And red pepper flakes. And pepperoncini. And other chiles.

I never used to be into spicy heat. I liked the flavors, just not the heat itself. But around 5 years ago it began to appeal to me. The endorphin high, man.
Ratchet
Match Winner

Post by Ratchet »

^^ What he said. I'm addicted to sriracha. I don't care for Louisiana Hot Sauce or Tabasco as much any more because I found sriracha. Here in Louisiana, Tabasco is probably the most common hot sauce (but it's definitely not the hottest). Sriracha is the hottest I've tried.
"Dream as if you'll live forever,
Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean
karas
Average Program

Post by karas »

omg, I wanted to order the exact same sauce 1 year ago. It was either that (800k SHU ?) or this one 10 Minute Burn (7.3 M SHU ??). I just changed my mind at the last minute.

Tabasco should have like 3,500+ SHU while Sriracha doesn't seem to go over 2,500. I've never tried Sriracha so I can't tell which one is hottest :P Sriracha is just hard to find here.
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

Say goodbye to your anus.
Clutch
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Clutch »

There's only one hot sauce for gaming and that's Billy Mitchell's brand
Boxed
ppotter
Match Winner

Post by ppotter »

Heh, coincidentally I bought a bottle of Sriracha for the first time the other day. Don't really find it to be that hot though.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Ratchet wrote:^^ What he said. I'm addicted to sriracha. I don't care for Louisiana Hot Sauce or Tabasco as much any more because I found sriracha. Here in Louisiana, Tabasco is probably the most common hot sauce (but it's definitely not the hottest). Sriracha is the hottest I've tried.
This is the Louisiana brand I use, if it wasn't obvious: http://www.louisianapepper.com/

I find it has more and better flavor than Tabasco, which I find a little flat and bitter. Louisiana brand is a little sweeter, rounder. It's not quite as hot, but that just means I can add more. :D

I use that and Sriracha for different things, though, not one replacing the other. Basically, what's cuisine-appropriate, usually. Used some Louisiana hot sauce just last night in some red beans and rice with spinach and tomatoes.
Last edited by Phytotron on Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Phytotron wrote:Used some Louisiana hot sauce just last night in some red beans and rice with spinach and tomatoes.
Oh good, now I know what to cook for dinner tonight. Thanks! :stubble:
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

With Mezzetta pickled sweet cherry peppers and golden peperoncini on the side. :D And a mixed greens salad with a greek-style vinaigrette. And multigrain whole wheat toast (would prefer some sort of cracker, but don't have any at the moment).

I also added Bragg's nutritional yeast, Earth Balance "butter," and a splash of almond milk to the beans and rice for some BS cheesiness. :P

And a Bell's Amber Ale. :stubble:

edit: brand name
Last edited by Phytotron on Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Whoa, whoa, settle down there. I'm not much of a cook. Anything more than 5 ingredients and it will be a disaster.
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

Im a huge fan of hot sauce and various peppers. If you feel like growing your own fire, I can send you some good seeds, or if you be skeered of me knowing how to mail stuff to you, I can give you good advice. My current project is naga jolokias.
Ratchet
Match Winner

Post by Ratchet »

Phytotron wrote: This is the Louisiana brand I use, if it wasn't obvious: http://www.louisianapepper.com/
Heh, I can't say I've seen any other brands of "Louisana Hot Sauce"! I'm definitely a fan of it, I knew what you were talking about :)
Phytotron wrote:I find it has more and better flavor than Tabasco, which I find a little flat and bitter. Louisiana brand is a little sweeter, rounder. It's not quite as hot, but that just means I can add more. :D
Absolutely! I completely agree with your assessment of Tabasco. I have never been a large fan of it.

Actually, it reminds me of something that is a pet peeve of mine. National media is all about broadcasting New Orleans, Louisiana as a "cajun yum yum yum"-fest because they have "some real, authentic southern cookin'!"

When, in reality, that's horse shit. I'm from Southwest Louisiana (and I'm from a Cajun heritage) and the food in New Orleans is bland and horrific. I'd have to really search New Orleans to find a decent restaurant serving authentic, delicious, spicy Cajun food. My grandmother is a fantastic cook and I suppose I'm just naturally inclined to compare everyone's cooking to hers. Heh, I guess it's really not fair. Oh well.
Phytotron wrote:I use that and Sriracha for different things, though, not one replacing the other. Basically, what's cuisine-appropriate, usually. Used some Louisiana hot sauce just last night in some red beans and rice with spinach and tomatoes.
Wait, you eat red beans and rice? I'm convinced you're from relatively nearby. Haha. At least, somewhere close enough to know what Popeyes is!
"Dream as if you'll live forever,
Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

sinewav wrote:Whoa, whoa, settle down there. I'm not much of a cook. Anything more than 5 ingredients and it will be a disaster.
You understand science and math, and do the art. By all rights you ought to be a decent cook. You probably just need someone to teach you some basic principles and technique.
Ratchet wrote:Wait, you eat red beans and rice? I'm convinced you're from relatively nearby. Haha. At least, somewhere close enough to know what Popeyes is!
I'm from Louisville. People eat red beans and rice all over the place. There are apparently 3 Popeyes locations here, but obviously KFC dominates. We're basically vegan, though, and fast food is muck anyway, so....
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

I actually dig that Popeye's spicy red beans and rice. Not even ashamed.