Happy 4/20!

Anything About Anything...
Post Reply
User avatar
breeze
Average Program
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 4:33 pm
Location: http://armagetronad.net

Re: Happy 4/20!

Post by breeze »

I wouldn't say it's a gateway drug any more than caffeine is or tobacco products or even alcohol. Correlation =/= Causation. Not everyone who smokes cannabis does so habitually or is a babbling idiot.

User avatar
Slov
Shutout Match Winner
Posts: 934
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 12:32 pm

Re: Happy 4/20!

Post by Slov »

Titanoboa wrote:Image
lmao

edit: I guess you could say pretty much anyone who does meth (or any other hard drug), has smoked weed at least once. But not everyone who smokes weed also does meth. Don't claim things like that, it's like saying anyone who drinks also smokes weed...
.pG (only like, the best clan ever)

my mixtape fire tho

J Dawg
Round Winner
Posts: 207
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:57 am

Re: Happy 4/20!

Post by J Dawg »

I think marijuana, Like any drug or substance, Can be used like alcohol, responsibly and done at a certain time (not in public.) I have heard a few studies that weed is more of a psychological addiction rather than physical. If you are a meth user, When you stop you freak out and try to get more. With marijuana, its more your head sayin "man I wanna get high again." I think the same thing could apply to alcoholism in all honesty. People don't admit they are alcoholics, but the psychological notion of having another drink does not matter. People who are habitual smokers don't go out and choke bitches for weed money unlike other drug addicts so it is not as severe as alcohol (although, alcohol can cause some troubles when used unproperly) . The good thing is, none of us are alcoholics (hopefully :D) or into hard drugs (crack).
ImageImageImageImageImage

User avatar
sinewav
Graphic Artist
Posts: 6294
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:37 am
Contact:

Re: Happy 4/20!

Post by sinewav »

What is with you dimwits seemingly downplaying psychological addiction? Addiction is addiction. If anything, your body can recover faster from physical addiction. Some people never revover from psychological addiction. My friend's mother used to do cocaine when she was younger. More than a decade after she stopped using she admitted she thought about cocaine every day. Psychological addiction is a huge impairment, make no mistake about this. Physical or not, it can negatively affect your life. I have a pothead friend who is intolerable to be around when he runs out of weed. Some of you probably know people like this. They are so wrapped up in weed that their whole personality revolves around it and when the don't have it they are exceedingly unpleasant.
Last edited by sinewav on Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
takburger
Match Winner
Posts: 600
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:34 pm

Re: Happy 4/20!

Post by takburger »

sinewav wrote:What is with you dimwits seemingly downplaying psychological addiction? Addiction is addiction[/]. If anything, you body can recover faster from physical addiction. Some people never revover from psychological addiction. My friend's mother used to do cocaine when she was younger. More than a decade after she stopped usingn she admitted she thought about cocaine every day. Psychological addiction is a huge impairment, make no mistake about this. Physical or not, it can negatively affect your life. I have a pothead friend who is intolerable to be around when he runs out of weed. Some of you probably know people like this. They are so wrapped up in weed that their whole personality revolves around it and when the don't have it they are exceedingly unpleasant.


Exactly.

What people call "physical addiction" is when you have issues like pain of that kind of results while not taking the product.

But "psychological addiction" never should be downgraded like Sine said.
Image

Vogue
Match Winner
Posts: 759
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:50 pm

Re: Happy 4/20!

Post by Vogue »

J Dawg wrote:unlike other drug addicts
Yeah, because all (hard)drug addicts are like the ones you see on TV......

User avatar
Gazelle
Match Winner
Posts: 651
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:06 am

Re: Happy 4/20!

Post by Gazelle »

Slov, i dont recall saying everyone has.. Obviously there are those who have not..

But from MY own personal experience, I have seen many people who have used weed, end up doing hard drugs.

User avatar
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner
Posts: 1004
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:33 am

Re: Happy 4/20!

Post by ConVicT »

sinewav wrote:What is with you dimwits seemingly downplaying psychological addiction? Addiction is addiction. If anything, your body can recover faster from physical addiction. Some people never revover from psychological addiction. My friend's mother used to do cocaine when she was younger. More than a decade after she stopped using she admitted she thought about cocaine every day. Psychological addiction is a huge impairment, make no mistake about this. Physical or not, it can negatively affect your life. I have a pothead friend who is intolerable to be around when he runs out of weed. Some of you probably know people like this. They are so wrapped up in weed that their whole personality revolves around it and when the don't have it they are exceedingly unpleasant.
Ok, point taken, I have friends like this. E.G: last night we were playing an xbox game and he had to leave because he ran out and couldn't be bothered with anything, getting so pissed off because he couldn't get passed a mission, but at the same time it's not the same for everyone, as I've said before, it was just a matter of not doing it any more for me.

User avatar
sinewav
Graphic Artist
Posts: 6294
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:37 am
Contact:

Re: Happy 4/20!

Post by sinewav »

Just to be clear, psychological addiction has a physical component.* Does a physical drug addiction direct the hand of a user to kill for money against their will? Or do countless psychological and sociological factors compel the user to act violently because the drug exacerbates problems and twists the mind? Drugs, especially ones with psychedelic effects, cause drastic changes in perception and have lingering effects. (Warning: anecdote ahead) I have a friend who regularly used cocaine over the years and developed schizophrenia from it. He now not capable of supporting himself and lives in a homeless shelter. That person I knew is essentially gone. Unfortunately most of you wont see the problems with drugs until later in life. I know I didn't start seeing how regular weed usage affected people until I was almost 30. "Safe" drugs make changes to your life that appear subtle at first, but over time they have drastic effects. Think of a sapling that encounters stress on one of it's branches. By the time the tree is fully grown those early perturbations may cause the tree to split under it's own weight.


* This whole mind/body dualism should have never survived ancient Greek thought. Saying "it's just in you head" makes no sense in light of what we know about the universe. Free will discussion for another time.

User avatar
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner
Posts: 1004
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:33 am

Re: Happy 4/20!

Post by ConVicT »

sinewav wrote:Just to be clear, psychological addiction has a physical component.* Does a physical drug addiction direct the hand of a user to kill for money against their will?]
I believe you could put that alongside with our need for food and water, and when it comes to it, if you needed water so bad that you had to kill for it then I think everyone would... Survival of the fittest, obviously, and the same goes for drugs with a physical addiction, it becomes something you need, not want.

And as for the rest is just because alcohol is legal (you seem to be all for that, just for that fact) I guarantee that has much worse effects, but it's legal. I'm, in all seriousness *WTF-ing*

User avatar
sinewav
Graphic Artist
Posts: 6294
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:37 am
Contact:

Re: Happy 4/20!

Post by sinewav »

ConVicT wrote:And as for the rest is just because alcohol is legal (you seem to be all for that, just for that fact) I guarantee that has much worse effects, but it's legal. I'm, in all seriousness *WTF-ing*
As I mentioned earlier, I am for the legalization of all drugs if proper education is available and we make stricter penalties for harming others with drugs. What I am against is the ridiculous garbage written by weed activists claiming marijuana is some type of harmless cure-all. That is pure snake-oil.

Kronkleberry
On Lightcycle Grid
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:29 pm

Re: Happy 4/20!

Post by Kronkleberry »

Image

User avatar
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner
Posts: 1004
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:33 am

Re: Happy 4/20!

Post by ConVicT »

sinewav wrote: What I am against is the ridiculous garbage written by weed activists claiming marijuana is some type of harmless cure-all. .
Yes, I hate those guys too, but not all of what they say is bullshit.

User avatar
breeze
Average Program
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 4:33 pm
Location: http://armagetronad.net

Re: Happy 4/20!

Post by breeze »

I mostly agree with your assessment, Sine, but I have a few problems with it. The only thing is that physical addiction always comes in tandem with psychological addiction. I can't think of a single drug that would be purely physical. By your logic then, addiction is just addiction. There is no separation between the physical and psychological aspects. I can't decide if I agree or disagree with that, I'm no doctor or psychiatrist. I'm not attempting to undermine any addiction, or even say you are wrong. I just find the logic a little wobbly.

Also, that's the best anti-drug ad I've ever seen.

User avatar
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Posts: 1791
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:07 pm

Re: Happy 4/20!

Post by Titanoboa »

Poem: The addict (by Titanoboa 2014)
Addiction?
Please.

I can stop whenever I want.

rly

i have control, trust me. i know myself better than you do.


hey can i borrow some money
Based on a true story.

Post Reply