ACL - Season 1

Anything About Anything...
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

ACL - Season 1

Post by Titanoboa »

Because this was a great idea, I wanna do something to follow it up, although in a different format. The TCT is not going to finish because people stopped playing their matches and kinda forgot about it, and even if most did play it still wouldn't finish for obvious reasons ( :( ). So I'm starting anew, changing some things with the hopes of making it easier to get all of your matches played.

I count on around 5 people signing up, but even more would be delightful. I think it has potential to grow with time, too. Further seasons are possible if the first one is enough of a success.
  • 6 players per division.
  • 2 games against each opponent: 1 as white and 1 as black. So, a max total of 10 games per season.
  • 15 minute time control with no increment: a game will never take more than 30 minutes total after the first move has been played for both sides.
  • 1 point for a win, ½ for a draw, 0 for a loss.
  • 0 points for both sides if they don't play a game. However if your opponent repeatedly turns down your game invitiations, you get the win. This rule may be tweaked in the future but I'll just hope for now that we can all be mature about it and let this rule stay simple.
  • A season lasts for 3 months or until all matches have been played.
  • There will be as many divisions as we need, with a max of 6 players in each. If more than 6 players sign up for the first season, a short and efficient blitz tournament (5 minute time control) will decide who gets to play in the top division.
  • All league matches will be played as unrated games on lichess, and once a game is finished one of the players saves the url to that specific game. All games will be saved publically on the wiki page. If you accidentally close the game without saving the url, it's easy to find it again on your lichess profile page.
  • You must be logged in while playing for a game to be valid. Registration is completely free.
  • Tie break: If two players are tied, their mutual games will be decisive. If they're still tied, the points of the opponents they've beaten will decide. Better explained on the wiki page.
  • The challenger decides which color to play in the first game. It is recommended, but not in any way obligatory to play both your games in sequence.
Wiki Page

Sign up here in this thread, mentioning your lichess username. Signups for the first season are now closed, but you can sign up for season 2 already (#13 and #14 will be guaranteed a spot in div 2).
Last edited by Titanoboa on Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:01 am, edited 7 times in total.
Andrei_35

Re: Armagetron Chess League

Post by Andrei_35 »

I will be happy to participate!

My login on lichess.org is Idkwhatnametochoose.
ppotter
Match Winner

Post by ppotter »

Sign me up, though I don't even need to play in that blitz tournament to know I should be in the lowest division :D

Username: Desusaizuheru
Concord

Post by Concord »

quarterbackstyle

Overrated
Match Winner

Post by Overrated »

GoldenSunEagle

I already know I should be placed in the lowest division.
BRAWL dead. RIP.

Fort is like a box of knives, you never know when you're going to be cut.
Pr3
Round Winner

Post by Pr3 »

Sign me up also. I've never tried timed, so I'm not sure how good I'll be.

Username: Pr3
Last edited by Pr3 on Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vov
Match Winner

Post by vov »

<- NinjaPotato
kgo even though i'm bad at timed :D
Titanoboa

Post by Titanoboa »

Awesome! We've got enough to fill a division but I'll give it a few more days to give everyone a chance to join. Of course we'll vary in performance level: everywhere from total beginner to, well, slightly better beginners :) I think we'll all be able to have a good time and learn from each other in the process.

When the first season is over, I'll attempt analyzing and annotating (chess lingo for commentating) my favorite game(s) (that I didn't play in myself). Unless akira (who is a strong chess player) would like to. Akira, if you see this, would you like to annotate a chosen game from the season? You're also welcome to join the league if you really want... but, if so, gz gm :P

I would create a team on lichess and ask you all to join it, but Concord already made one. I believe it's open for all tronners to join. Not mandatory for the league.
Gazelle
Match Winner

Post by Gazelle »

Username: Gazelle

Ill give it a shot ;)
Coco
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Coco »

Cocomo i will beat you titan :D
Titanoboa

Post by Titanoboa »

The wiki page is finished. Do you have any ideas for improvement? Are the rules clear? Do they make sense in the first place?

I can clarify right away that the reason you should use !coin on irc for randomizing the color is that when you choose random color on lichess, there's no way for the opponent to verify that you actually chose "random". The chance for a tiebreak game to ever be needed is pretty low though.

For the qualifying tournament, I'm going to look for a tournament system (like the swiss) where we can play a minimal amount of matches and still get a legitimate result. Something like 4-5 games per player instead of playing against everyone. Thoughts? Suggestions?
Titanoboa

Re: ACL - Signups close Friday, March 7th, 23:59 GMT!

Post by Titanoboa »

Ok. The blitz tournament will be played as a live event on the 9th (Sunday, 19:30 GMT (14:30 EST 3:30 pm EDT)). It should last for about 1 - 2 hours as each game takes no longer than 10 minutes to play, but there'll be a few minutes between matches.

Everyone will play against everyone. We'll all be a little tired at the end but they're fast games - you don't calculate deep on every move - so I doubt anyone will collapse... We'll update the standings live and it'll be a lot of fun.
Let us know in advance if you can't make it ( :( )

By the way, does everyone want to compete for a spot in the top division? If you'd rather start in div 2 for some reason, let us know.
Last edited by Titanoboa on Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bilbo baggins
Round Winner

Post by bilbo baggins »

are the signups still open for this?

if so bilbo-baggins
Titanoboa

Post by Titanoboa »

Yes, they close on Friday, 23:59 GMT.
bilbo baggins
Round Winner

Post by bilbo baggins »

sign me up then, shire rules right?