Government shutdown

Anything About Anything...
F0RC3
Core Dumper

Re: Government shutdown

Post by F0RC3 »

I personally think that the government that we have now is quite horrid, and would enjoy a peaceful revolution and establishment of a new government. I really don't mind this Government shutdown, I think it could be more beneficial then it is harmful.

Also though I don't mind it i find it ridiculous that it shut down in the first place. The house and senate are being children right now that are fighting over something both of them want.

Anyways overall the souls of everyone shall live on in perpetual awesomeness regardless of the outcome.
RoterBaron1337
Core Dumper

Post by RoterBaron1337 »

**** you too Phyto, im living in germany so your argument is invalid anyways.. and if you really think that we are all childs what about u start being productive and get into a position where you can change things instead of going to forums and call ppl out. The internet is a great place to show that you are olde then most and it shows how much free time you have when you are old and how you sucked in life
Kappa
wap
Round Winner

Post by wap »

RoterBaron1337 wrote:**** you too Phyto, im living in germany so your argument is invalid anyways.. and if you really think that we are all childs what about u start being productive and get into a position where you can change things instead of going to forums and call ppl out. The internet is a great place to show that you are olde then most and it shows how much free time you have when you are old and how you sucked in life
Attachments
pHPvJ.gif
pHPvJ.gif (1 MiB) Viewed 2169 times
J Dawg
Round Winner

Post by J Dawg »

^ lol wap

In all retrospect I am hoping that this gets resolved. I think its poor play on both parties to do this when the people are its victim, And the sooner they realize that the sooner this shutdown will be over (i'm hoping)
ImageImageImageImageImage
Gonzap
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Gonzap »

sinewav wrote:About 8% of the population is employed by the government. When the Great Recession hit, unemployment went up about 8% over the course of several months. Now imagine the unemployment rate going up 8% over a few days or weeks.
Dude get on our level, ~30% unmployment rate, and it's been like that for years already. We're still alive, nothing really happened. It's not fun to live it though.

Summary: Spain 1!!!111!!1!1!1 WIN
Cody
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Cody »

Gazelle wrote: Nah i fully understand its a big deal
Gazelle wrote: It doesnt affect any of our day to day activities unless you are poor, or a family member works for the government.
You just proved you don't understand.

Gaz you dont understand, you dont understand, you dont understand betch.

Also for otheres who say USA doesn't affect them, okay, lets see how your country reacts if the USA embargoes them.
RoterBaron1337
Core Dumper

Post by RoterBaron1337 »

thats why i hate the weight of the US Dollar in our world..
Kappa
takburger
Match Winner

Post by takburger »

Cody wrote: Also for otheres who say USA doesn't affect them, okay, lets see how your country reacts if the USA embargoes them.
George W. Bush did embargoed some wine and some of our cheese. It was just retarded.

Anyway, can you tell me how a shutdown government will decide to embargo anything ?

Do you also know that in Europe, the biggest commercial partners we have are within Europe, then Asia, US is a second or third partner.

Also, as Concord say, last shutdown was not that bad... It was 17 years ago.

One last point cody: during the crisis, the whole world was ****** up, China survived anyway, and I bet many of us had no problem about it in Europe.
Cody
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Cody »

takburger wrote:
Cody wrote: Also for otheres who say USA doesn't affect them, okay, lets see how your country reacts if the USA embargoes them.
Anyway, can you tell me how a shutdown government will decide to embargo anything ?
I'm not suggesting that the shutdown and embargoing have a relation, I was more to the point where you're acting as if USA has no affect on you period. So I'm merely saying if the US had a complete embargo with your country, you can't sit there and say it wouldn't affect you.
takburger
Match Winner

Post by takburger »

Cody wrote:
takburger wrote:
I'm not suggesting that the shutdown and embargoing have a relation, I was more to the point where you're acting as if USA has no affect on you period. So I'm merely saying if the US had a complete embargo with your country, you can't sit there and say it wouldn't affect you.
Ok, so you're totally outside the topic (trollin'). Great.
Gazelle
Match Winner

Post by Gazelle »

Cody wrote: You just proved you don't understand.

Gaz you dont understand, you dont understand, you dont understand betch.
really cody, cause my families day to day hasnt changed at all, it hasnt impacted us in a "severe" way..

I do see how it could impact a family that has a father or mother who is working for the government, or usin food banks etc..
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Soul wrote:Yeah Phyto is right. The governmental shutdown means the country is going to go into anarchy and civil war. We are all doomed.
I don't think I've seen a more idiotic straw man in my life.
Gazelle wrote:It doesnt affect any of our day to day activities unless you are poor, or a family member works for the government.
Goes to show how little you've bothered to understand what is and will be affected. A quick and simple Google search can resolve that, if you're so inclined, which I doubt.
Concord wrote:if the political fallout is similar to what happened in '95, this will be a good thing in the long run.
The economy and districting are significantly and fundamentally different now than they were back then. Doubtful any good can come from this.
Mecca wrote:Enlighten me. What am I protected from?
The very fact that you ask that question proves my point. That you haven't felt or seen any need whatsoever to do even the scant amount of reading required to find out what may be affected by the shutdown, both in relation to yourself and others (who do affect you, by the way). You're comfortable in the knowledge that even if it does have some impact on you, your parent(s) will cover your ass so you can continue sitting around in your myopic little bubble all day playing MMORPG's and listening to beepy boopy noise that presumes to be music.
RoterBaron1337 wrote:Worthless, ignorant, spiteful shit talk.
Gonzap wrote:Dude get on our level, ~30% unmployment rate, and it's been like that for years already.
For some sectors and demographics in our society, that is the case here. Besides that, you failed to understand the point sinewav was making.

And how can you say nothing really happened in Spain? Like, you live there; how can you not know? Perhaps we go back to my first post.

Some people in this thread:
Government shutdown.png
takburger
Match Winner

Post by takburger »

Phyto's picture and stuff about spain reminded me something not so old that happened in Europe... Belgium's government shutdown (589 days).

After a quick search on google, there is an article summing up stuff for you guyz:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ans ... n-belgium/

You may go and say Belgium is useless (it is small and the western part has a bad economy). But it is a very interesting country, with a good economy (on east side) and on top of that, Belgium is hosting many European political organizations. So it is an important country for Europe.

I know the differences are big with US shutdown, but it is funny to compare.
Gazelle
Match Winner

Post by Gazelle »

I understand a good majority of it, or the basis.. All we've been talking about in U.S History / Law Studies, so no I dont need to look it up.. And no, it doesnt affect a good amount of people's day to day..

Possible ways it could affect and average person's day to day:
In no need of a loan
dont go to national parks
no need for a passport
no need for a pell grant atm
Dont need to ask for the IRS's help with taxes.

^ nor do my parents, or the majority of the family i live around, so, therefore; it doesnt affect my day to day..

I wasnt talking about the rest of the world, or the wealthy, or the extremely poor, i was talking about an average american citizen with no family working directly for the government.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

It's not affecting a lot of us YET. Non-essential personnel and departments are being furloughed for now to conserve cash. The government will run out of money on the 17th and will no longer be able to borrow to meet its obligations. Then we'll have no choice but to default on some debt, and that will ruin our credit rating, pushing us into third-world status as far as credit rating is concerned, which will prevent us from borrowing significant amounts of money. As far as debt is concerned, the GOP will win the long-term goal of preventing us from borrowing a lot of money, but the price in interest in all the defaulted debt we'll have to pay off will nearly triple our debt.

But when the government runs out on the 17th, sinewav is being nice. Last numbers I saw were that the feds employed up to 20% of the population. It will be an economic meltdown. We'll have soldiers stranded overseas that can't get back, can't eat, etc. It'll be nasty.

Belgium could survive a government shutdown because a ) it is a relatively small country, b ) the economy is well-supported by the rest of the EU, and numerous other reasons. We've had state governments shut down last for some time and the states survived just fine.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden