Katrina

Anything About Anything...
eggcozy
Average Program

Katrina

Post by eggcozy »

I mentioned in another thread that Hurricane Katrina might delay my trip to Prague on Tuesday ... but holy crap. This could really mess up New Orleans.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphic ... 3day?large

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/rgb-loop.html

I'm about 30 miles north of New Orleans and I'm guessing Breakfast of Champions will be down due to power outage sometime early monday morning.
Sabarai
The Former Man of Cheese

Post by Sabarai »

Aww, good luck with the approaching storm.

About Prague: I went there with school a year ago. Really nice, cheap beer and cheap.. everything. There's a club next to the Karlsbridge you should check out. It's called the MCM or something, it's the biggest club in Prague.

And don't mind every guy at night giving you flyers of sexclubs :snail:

Be sure to buy tickets for the Metro, since once a week the police is checking everybody going in and out of the metro stations. And since the fine is high and a ticket is only 12 CKr, it's worth it.

And buy a disposal camara without flash: in every church and cathedral there's either a fine of 5000 CKr or you have to buy a ticket to take pictures with flashes for 250 or 500 CKr. Watch out choosing the camara though since it must have the ability of a long lighting time... Or shut off the flash of your current camara if you already have one.

And be prepared to walk a lot, it's a HUGE city and all the things to see are shattered over the whole town. And I assure you; it's a whole days walk.

Have fun in Prague :)
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Right, Sab.

Remembering, of course, that New Orleans might be a memory come Tuesday. This is the biggest storm in the gulf in recorded history (which only goes back a century or so for hurricanes) and New Orleans is below sea level. Imagine what a storm like this would do to your own country? Except New Orleans is in worse shape to begin with.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
eggcozy
Average Program

Post by eggcozy »

winds up to 160mph now

Here is a pretty picture of it.
http://www.quehubo.com/eng/katrina_gallery.php
iceman
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Yorkshire, England. Quote: Its the fumes, they make one want to play

Post by iceman »

whoa :o
Image He who laughs last, probably has a back-up
sorry about the large animated gif
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Ouch.
Sabarai
The Former Man of Cheese

Post by Sabarai »

:o it's big :P
DrJoeTr0n
"On a Roll. Paper wise."

Post by DrJoeTr0n »

....Surfs up? :?

I'll be amazed if new orleans is left, those water pumps are already pumpin alot as is.
microbus
Core Dumper

Post by microbus »

175 mph winds as of an hour ago... and hurricane force winds
extend out over 100 miles from the center...
Anyone around there, run like hell.... New Orleans could be
part of the ocean by tomorrow :(
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Heh, out here in Austin we're already getting our own weather dictated by the hurricane. The way Katrina's headed, she might very well skim the area, depending on how long she stays strong after hitting land.

Good luck egg.

- Iron Maiden
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Well, that's good news. Better to have Katrina break up on the Appalachian hills than on the Texas plains, I say. ;)

http://www.weather.com/maps/news/atlsto ... large.html

Of course, that still spells death for New Orleans. They say there's 100,000 people that can't get out, tourists and low income residents. They're piling up in the Superdome and some other places, and higher levels on skyscrapers have been given some sort of ok for vertical evacuation, so to escape the flooding you can get up in a skyscraper. But that exposes you to the winds.

If you want to do something, you might consider burning a catfish. ;)

- Iron Maiden
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Lucifer wrote:Well, that's good news. Better to have Katrina break up on the Appalachian hills than on the Texas plains, I say. ;)
Not good at all. I think, if I recall correctly, most deaths that came from Andrew (or one of the last big ones) occurred in Appalachia. Those people have it rough enough as it is.
Fonkay
Match Winner

Post by Fonkay »

I heard from some people that some hotels that people are evacuating to aren't taking pets (even in the light of tragedy) and some of them had to leave their pets behind. And when they get back they are to be charged with animal cruelty. So they are losing their pets, and being fined for trying to save their own lives. :o How sad.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

http://www.nytimes.com/packages/html/na ... A_GRAPHIC/

According to that map, and based on eggcozy's rough bearing, it looks like you're right in her path, egg. Well, maybe you shouldn't be reading this right now, approximately 7 hours or so before you should get to see the old girl up front.

Katrina's been downgraded to a Category 4 storm, sucking in dry air from the west. I guess that's the best we Texans could do for you was to fart some dry air your way. ;)

- Iron Maiden
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Katrina hit land. Looks like she's changed direction a tad and might not pass her eye right over New Orleans after all. Not that that helps much, an Alabaman buoy measured like a 20' wave. (or maybe it was a 40' wave, it was huge in any case)

Still scheduled to pass her center by New Orleans around 11am CDT.

- Iron Maiden