Education! (Split from Drawing Game)

Anything About Anything...
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Re: Education! (Split from Drawing Game)

Post by Light »

I can't agree with him on so many things, but having troubles getting it out into words. My main problem is his generalizing of men & women, and what they like & do.

Personally, when I think of a game, sexy women and nudity are not what I'm wanting. Sure, I don't dislike it a lot of times, but I care a lot more about the gameplay than graphics & models. I guess it helps sales though.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Light wrote:
I can't agree with him on so many things, but having troubles getting it out into words. My main problem is his generalizing of men & women, and what they like & do.
Well, you're wrong. You should have read the FAQ.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Light

Post by Light »

Lucifer wrote:Well, you're wrong. You should have read the FAQ.
I only saw the first link when sine said it related to the topic.

// Edit: Found what you were talking about. It still doesn't sound that great in the middle of a rant, but at least he makes it clear I guess.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Twitter vs Female Protagonists in Video Games
Fred Flamethrower.gif
Fred Flamethrower.gif (998.19 KiB) Viewed 2336 times
Light

Post by Light »

That's ... hmm :/ Personally, I like having female characters in gaming. I've always used them in a lot of PC games since they don't look as dumb as the male characters most of the time. I've never really given thought to how off balance it is in console gaming though.

I guess it's not very equal in PC games either, but with many, at least you get a choice between them. I wouldn't have expected responses like that for pointing it out though.
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

Doesn't really have to do with online gaming does it?
Anyway, girls, don't get your knickers in a twist... "Tomb Raider!", isn't that enough? Guy's love that series, and the films.

I have to add this: I found out that one of my favourite series is actually a female protagonist a few years back and it annoyed me, dunno why, but it did, that series is the "Metroid" series, now that ik this i can still enjoy the games, exactly the same as i did before (actually makes sense with the shape of the armour/suit)

There's lots of games, stop moaning, you have plenty;
http://www.giantbomb.com/female-protago ... 287/games/
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Light wrote:...female characters in gaming...don't look as dumb as the male characters most of the time. ...at least you get a choice between them.
Choose Your Character.jpg
No, it's not any better in PC gaming.
Light wrote:I've never really given thought....
Pretty much sums you up.
ConVicT wrote:Doesn't really have to do with online gaming does it?
Are you kidding?
Anyway, girls, don't get your knickers in a twist...
Are you ******* kidding?
"Tomb Raider!", isn't that enough?
You can't be ******* serious!
I found out that one of my favourite series is actually a female protagonist a few years back and it annoyed me, dunno why, but it did
I think I know why.
There's lots of games, stop moaning, you have plenty;http://www.giantbomb.com/female-protago ... 287/games/
You have got to be ******* kidding.

It's beyond my comprehension how a person can be so thoroughly ignorant and sexist, yet not even realise it and claim he's the opposite.

You two just need to stop.
Light

Post by Light »

Phytotron wrote:
Light wrote:...female characters in gaming...don't look as dumb as the male characters most of the time. ...at least you get a choice between them.
Do you purposely try to find them games, because I don't come accross ones like that normally. Normally in games I see, males are given rediculous faces and made "buff", while women are more "normal looking". I haven't been on many games with half naked women, as I play games for the gameplay, and not because of something like that.
Phytotron wrote:
Light wrote:I've never really given thought....
Pretty much sums you up.
Nice taking things out of context, when it was used about console games, which I don't actually play.
Phytotron wrote:You two just need to stop.
Can you actually explain what I've done wrong here?
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Light wrote:
Phytotron wrote:
Do you purposely try to find them games, because I don't come accross ones like that normally. Normally in games I see, males are given rediculous faces and made "buff", while women are more "normal looking". I haven't been on many games with half naked women, as I play games for the gameplay, and not because of something like that.
You don't get out much, do you? I see lots of women every day, and NONE of them look like any woman I've ever seen in a video game.

- Iron Maiden
Light

Post by Light »

Lucifer wrote:You don't get out much, do you? I see lots of women every day, and NONE of them look like any woman I've ever seen in a video game.
I never see men that look like what is in games either. It's fantasy ... And usually they're covered in armor, so you don't quite see much of them anyways.
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

You can call me ignorant, stupid, "I think I know why" (for whatever reason you think you know why, I have no clue) or whatever you want to say but the fact of the matter is, you're most clearly the oblivious one.
After all, you're posting the links, it's you that thinks everything is rosey, not me.
Dunno how you see the world tbh but you obviously have different views of it from me, so lets just leave it there between you and I otherwise it'll never end :roll:
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

I'm not just consistently picking sides here (just because I agreed with Light from the beginning) I'm not that stubborn tbh.
But a lot of the unrealistic things you all hit out with are just.........DO YOU LIVE IN A HOLE?
I think we've had a few good points but they have been just side stepped due to the stubbornness from you' plus all of the conformists here.
Posting a link to a site where others feel the same as you on a subject doesn't make it fact and if it does make it fact in your eyes then please say "It does" so then i can post 50 links that oppose it (Just pointless) type what you think and not other peoples views *Lazy C**t.
Light

Post by Light »

I'm pretty sure I just suck at explaining what I'm trying to say. A lot of what I see you guys saying is mostly agreeing with what I tried to say in the first place. Though, I don't agree with anyone completely, and I probably never will.

And Convict, I can't agree with the past few posts you made. I don't really remember the older ones at this point, but the only reason I didn't say something is because I knew they would. When you throw out sexist or biased remarks, you pretty much lose me completely. You seem to go back and forth on a few things.

But with Phyto, it seems like for the most part, we're in agreement, but he just likes to attack. At least that's how it looks from my side. If you wanted to get a point across, it would do more to actually explain, and see if maybe something was misunderstood or clarify / add more detail about it, to see where eachother would actually stand. Simply attacking does nothing, especially when you take things out of context and attack that.

And Lucifer ... You confuse me. lol I'm pretty sure on the main points at least, we're in agreement. I just don't think I can explain things correctly to get the right message across. And to clarify when I said they're more normal looking, I put that in quotations because I was comparing them to how the men looked. I don't really think anyone in games is a normal as in reality.
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

Light wrote: Convict, I can't agree with the past few posts you made. I don't really remember the older ones at this point, but the only reason I didn't say something is because I knew they would. When you throw out sexist or biased remarks, you pretty much lose me completely. You seem to go back and forth on a few things.
I agree, some of them were immensely stupid but that's just cuz I was getting tired of saying the same thing over and over, so, thought I'd throw a few curve balls!
Don't be a Judas :P The whole point (even when I was sidetracking and shit, is still the same point) IT IS ACCEPTED IN GAMING!!!!
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Light wrote:
Lucifer wrote:You don't get out much, do you? I see lots of women every day, and NONE of them look like any woman I've ever seen in a video game.
I never see men that look like what is in games either. It's fantasy ... And usually they're covered in armor, so you don't quite see much of them anyways.
Ah, yes, it is fantasy. That's why Lara Croft has an impossible figure that appeals to men/boys.

However, I've played games where the male characters looked surprisingly realistic. In trailers for games, too. I'm not saying the fantastical ones aren't there, because they are, but by way of comparison....

- Iron Maiden