Buying a new computer

Anything About Anything...
Slov
Shutout Match Winner

Re: Buying a new computer

Post by Slov »

wow sine thank you so much for this. this is the kind of answer I was dreaming of!

you're right, I did use a lot of reverb on almost every instrument. I'll do some research on it!

Yes the problem with multi tracks is quite annoying, I'll try your suggestions. I couldn't really listen to the whole track with all instruments at the same time so I mixed it one by one and then listened to a couple together like the drums and lead, then drums and those chords etc. I couldn't even listen to the piano by itself because there's so many note changes and reverb on it. But that is one problem I'll get rid off soon, I know some "rappers" that are prepared to pay money for my wack beats, I'll save up.

again thanks for everything sine!! I'll post something new before the New Year's eve, I have a lot of time on my hands right now!
.pG (only like, the best clan ever)

my mixtape fire tho
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Slov wrote:you're right, I did use a lot of reverb on almost every instrument. I'll do some research on it!
I don't use Logic, so I am not familiar with it. One bad habit a lot of newbies do is adding effects to every track. Let's say you have 4 tracks of music and you want reverb on all the tracks. You do not want 4 separate instances of reverb. All that does is eat resources. What you should do, is add an auxiliary input with 1 reverb, then route the 4 tracks to it. A quick youtube search revealed this tutorial, and the very first comments I see describe exactly what I just mentioned.
User 1: What's the difference between setting your main track with the settings the bus aux has Vs. having a bus aux track at all? I normally have all my tracks with their own effects, never really bussed any of them before.

User 2: Efficiency. Especially if you are using the same effect on more than one track, which is a very common occurrence (especially for reverb and delay :-). Also, you should learn this type of routing in case you are ever in a studio with a large format console. Dynamics and EQ are usually specific to a track, but you might bus all your drum tracks to be able to compress them together, etc.
Maybe you can squeeze a few more tracks out of your DAW. ;)
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

That problem is one thing I find jack does REALLY well on linux, being able to route software like its just hardware with plugs in it is incredibly useful. Unfortunately jack is a complete clusterfuck to set up on anything but a few higher end soundcards.
Slov
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Slov »

thanks for everything sine.

I made this today, it has a long intro and some random stuff at the end, it's an inside joke with my friends, too lazy to take it out right now.

Instruments don't really have any reverb on it so I could work normally up to 5 tracks + drums but then I had to do some OG shit and export the whole project as an mp3 everytime I wanted to listen to all instruments at the same time.

[The extension mp3 has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

I always have trouble adding bass. Any tips on making a good bass line?

my mixtape fire tho
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

That song sketch is really impressive. When it kicks in with the drums, wow.
Slov wrote:I always have trouble adding bass. Any tips on making a good bass line?
Buy a bass guitar. Playing an actual bass helps me to work out ideas. Sometimes I record my performance, other times I program the melody into my sequencer and choose a synth voice.
Slov
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Slov »

Well a bass guitar would be great I'll think about it.. but first I'll buy some cheap midi keyboard, it should make stuff a lot easier! It's a Roland A180 for 50 euros. Have you had any experience with it?

I wanna learn how to play piano and as many other instruments as possible, I've never had any music lessons or anything as a kid -.- I know very little about staying in key and stuff like that. Learning about chord progressions on the internet without a piano is so boring..

my mixtape fire tho
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Slov wrote:... but first I'll buy some cheap midi keyboard, it should make stuff a lot easier! It's a Roland A180 for 50 euros. Have you had any experience with it?
You don't have a MIDI controller? Yes, buy one of those first. At the very least it will speed up your production times, at most it will let you add more performance to your recordings. I use a M-Audio Oxygen 8 to audition sounds and tweak controls, but it is bad for performance. Luckily it's been discontinued, because it was terrible.

Slov wrote:I know very little about staying in key and stuff like that. Learning about chord progressions on the internet without a piano is so boring..
Don't even worry about staying in key. Musical keys are not rules you must follow, like staying within the lines of a coloring book. Lessons will help you with technique and sight-reading music if that is what you are interested in. It is more important to play and create often, regardless of what instrument you choose (or no instrument at all).

I have never taken music lessons (except for one basic class in college) and I can't really sight-read sheet music, but I study theory occasionally. There is a dynamic in my life that goes something like this: Play/write music until I get frustrated with it, read books about music/composers to get inspired, repeat.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

How Music Works

Marsalis on Music PBS series, if you can find it, the complete 4 hour-long programs. The couple clips you'll find on Youtube are just that, clips.

...since I know you won't read or take classes or private instruction.
Slov
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Slov »

well this was certainly a nice stroll down the memory lane

I wanna thank sine for being such a nice guy here, you definitely played a big roll in this thing, thanks for the encouragement and support I needed at that time. world would be a better place with more people like you

this track I made recently (with the help of my dear boss dr-880) earned me a spot in a mix on some Slovenian "rasta" radio station, it's nothing big but it is a boost I needed

the intro is weird because the dj wanted it like that so it's easier for her when she's doing the mix live

link: http://www.megafileupload.com/ivSw/SLOW_24_final.mp3

some random track I just made but not sure where to go from here: http://www.megafileupload.com/ivSz/Dub_Beach_2.mp3

my mixtape fire tho
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

The site isn't letting me download the track, probably because using megaupload is a huge security risk. Can you host the songs somewhere else?
Slov
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Slov »

I can upload the 2nd one here, but the first one is too big

let me know if this works, I'm not really sure which site is the best for uploading stuff
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 7708876805
Attachments

[The extension mp3 has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

my mixtape fire tho
Hoax
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Hoax »

Nice! Felt like they needed lyrics or something though, not that I listen to much of the same/might be unfinished
Upload to soundcloud or something so people can stream instead?