Windows 8 General Discussion

Anything About Anything...
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Re: Windows 8 General Discussion

Post by compguygene »

I am using Cario Dock (no Open GL). Sadly, I cannot rid myself of the task bar as yet. I don't like the way that Cario displays the workspaces. In the course of my normal business it is easiest at times to organize tasks by workspace, I use 9 workspaces at times. Also, I have a few icons in the system tray there that really can't seem to easily be shown elsewhere. I am beginning to get your point of the OSX user interface being superior in that way. However, for its shortcomings, I am very happy with my Xubuntu experience. For the record, to improve the user interface, I did add the full KDE evironment

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install kubuntu
. Kubuntu would not install on my laptop originally, but Xubuntu would. This has been a nice compromise for me.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Paladin
Average Program

Post by Paladin »

Is anyone aware if you can change the default location of Users in Windows 8 from the C to the D drive? I'd prefer to avoid using symbolic links if there was a cleaner approach.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

In 7, it was possible just by moving the profile directory, the system would track that move automatically.
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

If not, you can get around it by using a shortcut, since windows doesn't usually differentiate between accessing a file directly and accessing it through a shortcut. As long as the s/c remains where the user folder was, you should be fine.
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

I would recommend using Vistart , if u hate Windows 8, that's what i started using because i have no "RPEnabled" file and "Start Menu Selector" doesn't work for me either. I'm glad these two methods didn't work though because with Vistart You get to keep the metro UI and still have a start button. :D
Attachments
start button.PNG
start button.PNG (4 KiB) Viewed 4781 times
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

Phytotron wrote:...video card...Linux support...
My advice to most people would be to avoid Nvidia products because Nvidia deliberately hinder the progress of open source software (drivers) for their products. I recommend getting an ATI/AMD video card because ATI/AMD (same company now) don't hinder the progress of open source software (drivers) for their products and, in my opinion, their products are as good as their Nvidia counterparts. Other companies do make video cards but I would stick with ATI/AMD because they are more established in the video card industry hence cards are more readily available (especially secondhand) and also have better resources regarding them.
Playing since December 2006
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

On the other hand, the quality of NVidia's closed source drivers for Linux has been a lot better than those from ATI in the past. Haven't checked on it lately.
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

If you don't intend on running Crysis for Linux, get a 3rd generation Intel Core CPU(iX-3XXX). The integrated graphics chip manages really well and the drivers are basically plug and play(so much to ask). Or you can wait for their 4th gen line :-)
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Monkey wrote:open source
I don't care. Also, what Z-Man said.
epsy wrote:If you don't intend on running Crysis for Linux, get a 3rd generation Intel Core CPU(iX-3XXX).
I have the i5-2300. It struggles on the handful of free 3D games I've tried—mainly FPS's in the Ubuntu Software Center (crap games, just wanted to test the graphics), and a few different types of games in Windows. I wanted to try the demo for that Amnesia: The Dark Descent, but it wouldn't even run. Oh well. Back to my consoles and 2D emulators...sometime. :)
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

...And now they're skipping Windows 9.
takburger
Match Winner

Post by takburger »

ConVicT wrote:...And now they're skipping Windows 9.
coz devs used to do windows version "9*" for 95 and 98. So they had to skip it coz 9*==9
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

I wonder when Chrome and Firefox will start using larger increments. Pity we don't have another millennium coming up.

Apple, on the other hand, likes to reuse old version numbers.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn