@Faildows users: how do you put up with it?

Anything About Anything...
Kijutsu
Match Winner

Re: @Faildows users: how do you put up with it?

Post by Kijutsu »

Word wrote:I own Vista
stopped reading

I've never had issues with XP and 7, apart from easily fixed ones. Dunno, I'm too stupid to use Linux etc.
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

kyle wrote:
Phytotron wrote:As for the -bits and RAM, from what I've read 32-bit chips (any OS) can't recognize RAM above 4 GB. And of course, you need a 64-bit processor to run a 64-bit version of a given OS.
Like i said Linux can if you configure the kernel to handle it.
It's a workaround.
Natively, 2Gb was the upper limit, with the 4Gb workaround as standard coming into play later. Still, I don't get why so many computers are shipped nowadays with shitloads of ram, but an x86 OS.
nux
Round Winner

Post by nux »

delinquent wrote:Still, I don't get why so many computers are shipped nowadays with shitloads of ram, but an x86 OS.
Because stupid people buy it because they believe having more makes them more important.
There's a difference between knowing your shit, and knowing you're shit. Grammar does matter.
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

nux wrote:]Because stupid people are stupid.
'Nuff said.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

nux wrote:
kyle wrote:When forced to use linux one of the first things that annoys me is I am no longer able to hover over an inactive window and scroll.
Ah, you reminded me of how xfce allows you to do this, but changes focus to that window.
Um, since when has that been a problem in KDE? That's one of the things that annoys when I'm forced to use Windows. I can't just hover over ANY window and scroll, even the one in focus. I have to hover over the scrollbar itself to get it to scroll. And if the window isn't in focus, I have to bring it into focus.

KDE has never behaved like that for all the years I've been using it.

I am annoyed that middle-click paste is no longer guaranteed to work. That annoys me a lot, I had become so dependent on it.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

I can scroll an inactive/unfocused window in Ubuntu, too; didn't even realize. Didn't know you could do that middle-click paste thing, either. I knew that was how you paste into the terminal, but didn't realize it nixed the 'copy' middle-man. Actually, erg, that's a little annoying since simply highlighting something replaces what you had initially ctrl-c copied. Although, your original ctrl-c copy is preserved when you do a regular ctrl-v paste. Hmm. Two layers of clipboard. Hmm.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Your control-c clipboard is independent of the middle-click clipboard. That really is just "paste what's highlighted wherever the mouse cursor is at". In Firefox, it used to be treated as a url and try to load it, unless you were in a text input widget, so you used to be able to highlight a url on a webpage and middle-click to load it.

Amazingly useful. But starting to disappear. :(

Also, there are clipboard apps to expand your clipboard so that it holds a lot more than just whatever you last copied/cut. You can go back through the history and retrieve stuff. Neat.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

kyle wrote:When forced to use linux one of the first things that annoys me is I am no longer able to hover over an inactive window and scroll.
Just realized my typeo in that i mean when force to use Windows not linux.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Lucifer wrote:Your control-c clipboard is independent of the middle-click clipboard.
I'm getting some crossover behavior, where middle-click will still paste whatever you last ctrl-c copied, provided you didn't highlight anything in between. That's what I was sloppily describing above.
Also, there are clipboard apps to expand your clipboard so that it holds a lot more than just whatever you last copied/cut. You can go back through the history and retrieve stuff. Neat.
Yep, I briefly mentioned here a clipboard history add-on I'm using as a dock applet under Cario/GLX-Dock. :) It has a configuration option as to which items it should remember: Clipboard, Selection, or Both. 'Both' is bad because every little thing you highlight—say, when editing text—gets sent there and just clutters it up. Gladly, that option is there to make it actual clipboard only. Or, it also has an option to separate Clipboard and Selection, but the Selections are still mostly useless to me. It also has the option to have a "list of persistent items which can be accessed with middle click," whatever use that may have.

I imagine most such apps have similar options.

Clipboard history applets also exist for OSX, incidentally. And I would assume Windows.
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

They do for windows, and are in fact, native to the Microsoft Office environment. Also, with the advent of the sidebar from vista up, and XP if one chose to install it, there is a widget that is in fact integrated into the copy/paste function that can remember up to about 30 copied items.

There are also a number of registry tweaks that can be enabled/disabled that have an effect on the copy/paste function, although on windows 7 this was limited from about 30 to about 10. Sadly, the registry is apparently phasing out of existence, which is a shame for those who did enjoy a little customisation. I also think the startup folder is returning, as the number of programs with an autoexec /s function in the registry is growing out of control, leading those who are a little less computer literate to become somewhat inundated with annoying useless shit that, in their eyes, slows their computer down to a crawl and leading it ot become "broken".

On that note, I hate the way many shady programmers take advantage of people who know how to type, surf the internet, empty the recycle bin and not much else.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

I had to log into Windows 7 last night, and while I was there checked that scroll behavior. True that you can't scroll an out-of-focus window, but not true that you have to hover the cursor over the scroll bar. What was strange was this inconsistency: In the case of Wordpad and Paint, the cursor could be anywhere on the screen and it would scroll, whereas in Firefox and IE the cursor had to be somewhere over the active window.

Personally, I'm indifferent to any of these behaviors, including the Linux (is it all Linux distros?) way of scrolling out-of-focused windows. They each have their pros and cons and in the end it's a wash.
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

Phytotron wrote:Personally, I'm indifferent to any of these behaviors, including the Linux (is it all Linux distros?) way of scrolling out-of-focused windows. They each have their pros and cons and in the end it's a wash.
What are some of the cons you see in this? Having liked this feature I really do not see any.

Also on a side note. I beleive in Windows if the window has multiple panels/frames that are scrollable, you must have the panel/frame active to scroll in it. I beleive regedit is something someone could test and see if this is still true.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

The ability to scroll an out-of-focus window? Just the fact that you could do it inadvertently. I also can't really think of an instance where having that ability would be especially useful for me, though that could be habit; same as I can't think of uses for additional workspaces.

So, on this it's not big things, you see. In the end, this is one of those cases where none of the various ways of doing it especially bother me or especially appeal to me. Hence, indifference.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

One case that crops up often for me is: I browse documentation in one Window and work in another. With Linux style scroll whell input, I can scroll the documentation without having to switch focus. Of course, this is only useful if my hand happens to be on the mouse currently.