Elections 2012 [third-party candidate option added]

Anything About Anything...
Post Reply

Who should be President of the United States in 2013?

Poll ended at Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:59 am

Obama
19
54%
Romney
6
17%
A third-party candidate
7
20%
Nobody of the above, I don't vote.
3
9%
 
Total votes: 35

Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Posts: 4163
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:13 pm

Elections 2012 [third-party candidate option added]

Post by Word »

I thought it would be interesting to make a poll here which ends a week before the actual elections (40 days from now), November 6.

(If this turns into a discussion about politics that's fine too, of course, as long as it remains civil)

edit: Um, the question is poorly formulated, but I'm not editing it to "Who should be elected?" (because Obama already is president and thus can't be the next) since the poll would be resetted as a result.
Last edited by Word on Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:43 pm, edited 6 times in total.

User avatar
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Posts: 1830
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse
Contact:

Re: Elections 2012

Post by kyle »

you failed to add Gary Johnson
Image

Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Posts: 4163
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: Elections 2012

Post by Word »

corrected, didn't think he'd matter :P

User avatar
Ratchet
Match Winner
Posts: 780
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:55 am
Contact:

Re: Elections 2012

Post by Ratchet »

I won't be able to vote in this election which is pewp! I turn 18 next May :<

I think I would vote for Obama though. People will always complain that the government doesn't do enough (they are absolutely right) but Obama has done a fairly decent job. I'd rather someone proven to be a little bit successful than take a chance on someone who could bring it all crashing down. Obama has improved jobs a bit, is working and doing an acceptable job (to the best of my knowledge) at establishing good relationships with foreign countries.

I don't know all the ins-and-outs of each presidential candidate, nor all the statistics and such that Obama has improved upon. I should be at that point in my life that I start to pay attention to these things and realize it's my duty to follow them closely and choose wisely, but I also have 4 years to work on life-skills and such to be ready for it :D

I'll try and pay more attention and get a more educated opinion on each candidate, but if I were to vote today it'd be Obama.
Image
"Dream as if you'll live forever,
Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean

User avatar
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Posts: 2333
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:09 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Elections 2012

Post by compguygene »

Gary Johnson, FTW! Voting as a "lesser evil" voter, as most Americans do, is just a fail. Voting for a candidate that you don't believe in, which many of the people that will vote for Obama or Romney will be doing, is part of the reason we have had such crappy Presidents in the USA, ever since Kennedy. Johnson has been gaining a lot of support, especially because of his views on Gay Marriage and Abortion. I generally vote for Constitution Party or Libertarian Party candidates, as they best represent my political viewpoint, which neither the Democrats or Republicans do. Most people think their vote is "wasted" if they don't vote for a Democratic or Republican candidate. I disagree.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm

Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Posts: 4163
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: Elections 2012

Post by Word »

Isn't Gary Johnson the "lesser evil"-option per se?

User avatar
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Posts: 1830
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse
Contact:

Re: Elections 2012

Post by kyle »

Ratchet wrote:People will always complain that the government doesn't do enough (they are absolutely right) but Obama has done a fairly decent job. I'd rather someone proven to be a little bit successful than take a chance on someone who could bring it all crashing down. Obama has improved jobs a bit, is working and doing an acceptable job (to the best of my knowledge) at establishing good relationships with foreign countries.
Maybe but People also don't want a government that will eat all thier money either!
Image

User avatar
F0RC3
Core Dumper
Posts: 176
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:33 pm

Re: Elections 2012

Post by F0RC3 »

Ron Paul......................

User avatar
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Posts: 2333
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:09 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Elections 2012

Post by compguygene »

Gary Johnson is the Libertarian party candidate. Lesser evil voters look at the 2 crappy choices for president and pick the "lesser evil" of the two.
Unlike other countries, 2 parties pretty much dominate the system in the USA.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm

User avatar
Ratchet
Match Winner
Posts: 780
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:55 am
Contact:

Re: Elections 2012

Post by Ratchet »

kyle wrote:
Ratchet wrote:People will always complain that the government doesn't do enough (they are absolutely right) but Obama has done a fairly decent job. I'd rather someone proven to be a little bit successful than take a chance on someone who could bring it all crashing down. Obama has improved jobs a bit, is working and doing an acceptable job (to the best of my knowledge) at establishing good relationships with foreign countries.
Maybe but People also don't want a government that will eat all thier money either!
Can the government survive without using and abusing all the taxes they are receiving, though? They're so used to just getting all of this money and blowing it on whatever they want and sticking the rest in their pockets that I'm not sure if it will ever become a non-issue. All of these people get elected in the government and before their first year is up they begin to realize that the government is all about the money. They become corrupt so fast it's silly and they lose all notions of "lowering taxes."
Image
"Dream as if you'll live forever,
Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean

User avatar
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Posts: 5041
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:06 pm
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.
Contact:

Re: Elections 2012

Post by Phytotron »

kyle wrote:you failed to add Gary Johnson
Word wrote:corrected, didn't think he'd matter :P
He won't, not in the least. There's no reason for him to be in that poll, unless you're going to include all the other 3rd-party/independent candidates as well. He's no standout among the rest of them, neither in terms of substance nor chances.

Sigh. This thread is bound to be stupid as hell. Wait, too late. Rather, bound to continue to be stupid as hell.

User avatar
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Posts: 2333
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:09 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Elections 2012

Post by compguygene »

Phytotron wrote:
kyle wrote:you failed to add Gary Johnson
Word wrote:corrected, didn't think he'd matter :P
He won't, not in the least. There's no reason for him to be in that poll, unless you're going to include all the other 3rd-party/independent candidates as well. He's no standout among the rest of them, neither in terms of substance nor chances.

Sigh. This thread is bound to be stupid as hell. Wait, too late. Rather, bound to continue to be stupid as hell.
Phyto is right, you should include all the other 3rd party candidates.

Phyto, I assume you are a "lesser evil voter" in that you believe that if you don't vote for a Democrat or Republican, that your vote is a wasted vote?
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm

User avatar
Kijutsu
Match Winner
Posts: 676
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:37 pm

Re: Elections 2012

Post by Kijutsu »

F0RC3 wrote:Ron Paul......................
The only worthy candidate, but he's too idealistic.

@Everyone voting Obama, hahahahahahahahahaahahahhahahhaaha.. hahahahaa.. haha.. ha.

User avatar
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Posts: 5041
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:06 pm
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.
Contact:

Re: Elections 2012 [third-party candidate option added]

Post by Phytotron »

And do you even know the totality of Ron Paul's positions? Most of his supporters don't. What the hell do you care, anyway? You hate America. Or just trolling again? Yeah, probably. Nothing new there.
compguygene wrote:Phyto, I assume you are a "lesser evil voter" in that you believe that if you don't vote for a Democrat or Republican, that your vote is a wasted vote?
Yes, obviously. That's precisely what I said; it's right there, plain as day. Indeed, this post demonstrates that position. So does this one. Or this one. And this one. Among others I'm sure exist but can't think of a way to search for. :roll:

Sigh. You're talking to a guy who has voted for Nader each time he has run. I've been active in support of third-party ballot access, etc. I made absolutely no statement, neither explicitly nor implicitly, that I'm a "lesser evil voter." The point, to reiterate, was that there is no reason to single out special consideration for, and inclusion in that poll of, Gary Johnson out of all the other third party/independent candidates in the field. There's nothing remarkable about him. Were this '92 and we were talking about Perot, or '00 and Nader, that would be different. But your boy Johnson is no more extraordinary than any of the other also-rans this year.

At this point I began to make an argument about how, this time around, a vote for Obama cannot be simplistically described as a "lesser of two evils" vote. About how there actually is meaningful difference between he and Rmoney. About how far the GOP has gone off the rails into right-wing extremist lunacy. And about how much is at stake in, at minimum, staving off that assault. But then I realized, what am I thinking, who am I talking to? You probably believe Obama's part of some malevolent new world order secret society intent on world domination, your stuff about he not being "constitutionally qualified to be President," and who knows what other nonsense, so I just deleted it.

By the way, you said "since Kennedy." What did you like so much about JFK, and Vietnam aside, what's your beef with LBJ? Or will my even broaching that subject throw this into a bunch of assasination conspiracy crap?

User avatar
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Posts: 2333
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:09 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Elections 2012 [third-party candidate option added]

Post by compguygene »

My apologies for completely ignoring the evidence of your posts on this forum as to you NOT being a lesser evil voter. I obviously forgot and failed to search :oops:. Obviously, we share the same viewpoints on voting your conscience.

No conspiracy discussion here. No point.

I will only say this, given who appears to be Obama's actual father, there are no questions as to constitutional legitimacy as President. I am thankful for this. Based on some early evidence about President Obama, I have assumed for a while now that the "Birther Movement" is mostly a distraction, and one that I fell for. The real questions about Obama are who was his father, and what did he do when he was allegedly attending Colleges where nobody ever remembers seeing him on campus. If you want to know more about that, google is your friend.
If you fully buy into the Left-Right paradigm that Citizens of the United States are fully indoctrinated in, then you will always vote for only candidates "that matter". Considering that both the Democratic Candidate, Barak Obama, and the Republican Candidate, Mitt Romney, derive their primary and largest financial support for the banking/financial community, I cannot in good conscience vote for either of them. Anybody who honestly thinks either of these candidates are going to do much of anything with the idea of actually helping the citizens of the United States of America, is either blind to their history, or deaf to what they have stated and their voting records.
Personally, I view the Democrats/Republicans to be Brand X/Brand Y of the tyranny that they wish to implement after the coming Global Economic Collapse. Keep in mind, I always vote for the person, not the party. So, there are plenty of decent Democrats/Republicans that I have voted for through the years, and would do so again in a heartbeat.
I am merely pointing out that if people voted according to their conscience, instead of how they are told to vote, elections would be quite different. Voting for a "Third Party" candidate is not a wasted vote, but helps to establish that party and candidates.
Also, I would have you consider this. We are overdue for some third party to rise up and knock out one of the 2 big parties. Even though I am mostly a conservative, I firmly believe that the Republicans are overdue to be knocked out. Unfortunately, the tea party, which was started as an independent, libertarian focused group was co-opted by the Republicans. Both the Democrats and Republicans have done a lot in the last 40+ years to co-opt and absorb or destroy any serious competition that comes along.
I too, would have voted for Ron Paul if that would have been an option. I also knew that the Republicans would never allowed Dr. Paul to win the nomination, and there was a ton of evidence of fraud in the process.
See, elections that are not close cannot easily be manipulated via fraud.
Anybody who has studied the George W. Bush vs. John Kerry election can find tons of fraud in the counting of the Florida votes that would have swung the election to Kerry. This is not the first, or the last example of election fraud in the USA. Electronic voting makes it easier to commit.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm

Post Reply