Admin Abuse

Anything About Anything...
xbigjointxweedxkushx

Admin Abuse

Post by xbigjointxweedxkushx »

So i have played sumo before, but my first time playing fort, i was trying to figure out how to play, i asked in team chat, but the round started. After the round started i started grinding on someones wall then killed them, and then my team started freaking out. I asked how to play and the said to watch and learn. My momma always said that the best way to learn is by doing. So i continue playing and i get kicked off the team, then i try to join blue team and someone named 'free kill' asks in chat if it was open or if it was a tourny. Someone on my team said "he just joined and started tking and trolling". i tried to say that this was my first time playing fort when i got kicked. The admin was not present during my alleged trolling, and he solely went off one persons word. I believe that he should have stayed and reviewed the situation, or maybe explained to me what i was doing wrong, but instead he abused me. I'd like to receive an apology, but i do not wish to see any punishment put down on free kill. I believe this is a reasonable request and isn't outlandish at all. Thank you for taking the time to read my post.
Clutch
Shutout Match Winner

Re: Admin Abuse

Post by Clutch »

1. I lold at your name, never seen a more stereotypical stoner username
2. Fort sucks anyways
3. Fort is intolerant at the best of times, and completely unfair at worst
4. You should talk to the owner of the server if you want to complain, for all the good it'll do
Boxed
Ratchet
Match Winner

Post by Ratchet »

Okay. I will uh... I'll be the first person to take a stab at this. Certain people are going to read this and jizz at the welcoming of a list of links and random shit that you're never going to want to read.

People in fortress are very unforgiving as far as learning how to play goes. Basically, you have to try and make sense of what to do over the course of 2 rounds or you're going to get suspended and griped at. I do recommend spectating the game for a few rounds, and try getting a general idea of what each position on the team is doing and what you'd be expected to do at that position.

I'm not sure what exactly happened, so I can't say whether you merited getting kicked. It's unfortunate that you got kicked, but I wouldn't expect an apology from anyone. If they have the power to kick someone, odds are they have enough control over the server to not have any consequences for kicking people who didn't necessarily do anything wrong. Basically, they don't have to apologize to anyone. It's their server.

If you want to be able to play fortress and not get yelled at and abused for not knowing how to play; I'd suggest reading a basic fortress manual. There are about a hundred that you'll be linked to in the next 24 hours, but I recommend just getting a basic idea, and then taking to a fortress server to learn the rest.

http://wiki.armagetronad.org/index.php/Fortress
"Dream as if you'll live forever,
Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean
xbigjointxweedxkushx

Clutch wrote:1. I lold at your name, never seen a more stereotypical stoner username
2. Fort sucks anyways
3. Fort is intolerant at the best of times, and completely unfair at worst
4. You should talk to the owner of the server if you want to complain, for all the good it'll do
Lol! Thanks for the advice.
Ratchet wrote:Okay. I will uh... I'll be the first person to take a stab at this. Certain people are going to read this and jizz at the welcoming of a list of links and random shit that you're never going to want to read.

People in fortress are very unforgiving as far as learning how to play goes. Basically, you have to try and make sense of what to do over the course of 2 rounds or you're going to get suspended and griped at. I do recommend spectating the game for a few rounds, and try getting a general idea of what each position on the team is doing and what you'd be expected to do at that position.

I'm not sure what exactly happened, so I can't say whether you merited getting kicked. It's unfortunate that you got kicked, but I wouldn't expect an apology from anyone. If they have the power to kick someone, odds are they have enough control over the server to not have any consequences for kicking people who didn't necessarily do anything wrong. Basically, they don't have to apologize to anyone. It's their server.

If you want to be able to play fortress and not get yelled at and abused for not knowing how to play; I'd suggest reading a basic fortress manual. There are about a hundred that you'll be linked to in the next 24 hours, but I recommend just getting a basic idea, and then taking to a fortress server to learn the rest.

http://wiki.armagetronad.org/index.php/Fortress
I understand that i should look into learning how to play it, but i mean, cmon, who is going to read some ******* tutorial about playing? I just figured that the players wouldn't be such ass holes. I also hoped that the admin would have had the sense of mind that should accompany having admin in a server to actually review the situation before issuing a punishment. Thanks for the help guys :)
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

You had 4 team kills in 4 rounds played. A suspension probably would have sufficed, but getting kicked once isn't abuse… so cut down on the hyperbole.
I believe that he should have stayed and reviewed the situation, or maybe explained to me what i was doing wrong, but instead he abused me.
Do you really need an explanation about why team killing is bad?
xbigjointxweedxkushx

I didn't know i was team killing, i was trying to figure out how to play. The only game i had played prior was sumo, and that's a free for all.
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

While I sympathise with being unwilling to read a load of jargon that may or may not be difficult to understand for a new player, it's rather taken for granted that new players in any sort of game, armagtronad or not, will at least read up in some basic methods of play.

Had I seen the wiki's I would have read them myself, as it stands I started playing fort under another name, and after having been kicked quite a few times, I began to learn and subsequently changed it. You might do well to follow that advice, as although few will admit it, many people hold what you might call a grudge against a new player who ***** up a round or two (intentionally or not). As long as you learn some basic principles, and at least try to play half decently, you shouldn't have a problem, and then if anyone does give you grief, change your nick.

I also understand the concept of "why should I have to change my username just because I played badly at first" but I'm afraid you cannot fight human nature in this context (online, over a multiplayer game).

I wish you well. Live long, and prosper.

Yeah, I'm watching every Star Trek film and episode ever made atm, bear with me.
Ritsuka
Round Winner

Post by Ritsuka »

Just be grateful it was dlh and not Syre.
nux
Round Winner

Post by nux »

xbigjointxweedxkushx wrote:I didn't know i was team killing, i was trying to figure out how to play. The only game i had played prior was sumo, and that's a free for all.
So, you see players with the same color as you, they start at the same position as you, and when you kill them it says "core dumped teammate" and you dont realise? It never occurred to you to hit the tab key and see their team names? Some things are common sense man. If you cant figure out stuff like this, i suggest you try a different game, a simpler one, like tetris or pacman.
There's a difference between knowing your shit, and knowing you're shit. Grammar does matter.
Mecca
Match Winner

Post by Mecca »

Welcome to Armagetron!
PokeMaster
Match Winner

Post by PokeMaster »

delinquent wrote:I also understand the concept of "why should I have to change my username just because I played badly at first" but I'm afraid you cannot fight human nature in this context (online, over a multiplayer game).
Well if he can't, then maybe we, as experienced players, should. Just a thought.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

That's a wonderful idea, in theory, but the fact remains that too may individuals will continue to be... lets say "difficult", so it's up to people themselves how to take it. On the chin, or in the anus. Then again, it's up to us to counter it and give the community a balanced perspective. I.E, just like in real life. You're always going to have people who stir things up, or who are generally disagreeable. The same rule applies here.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that a lot of the issues centre more around how people react to things, rather than the initial fire in the first place.

/life lessons
PokeMaster
Match Winner

Post by PokeMaster »

Totally. It seems that in general though that the community reacts negatively towards new players, and I would imagine that a lot of people follow that because it's the status quo. I think individual efforts can hopefully have a big impact though.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Clutch
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Clutch »

PokeMaster wrote:Totally. It seems that in general though that the community reacts negatively towards new players, and I would imagine that a lot of people follow that because it's the status quo.
No more alt+f4 for h4cks? :(
Boxed
Ratchet
Match Winner

Post by Ratchet »

Clutch wrote:
PokeMaster wrote:Totally. It seems that in general though that the community reacts negatively towards new players, and I would imagine that a lot of people follow that because it's the status quo.
No more alt+f4 for h4cks? :(
Shift+esc always worked better for me anyways! More rubber!
"Dream as if you'll live forever,
Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean