Apology

Anything About Anything...
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Re: Apology

Post by compguygene »

Jonathan wrote:
compguygene wrote:I find it interesting that Jonathan has chosen to bring up the example of Homosexuality as a place where 99% of Christianity is just plain wrong and/or dumb. I am not gonna turn this thread into a debate about that. I just would like to point out the example in my own life of my son, who is openly Homosexual, attends our church, and is not judged or mistreated by either my family or my church. We all love him as our Lord commands us to. Any less than that would put us in the place of being idiots, hypocritical, and driving my son away from us. If our church did that, we would be gone, and with great protest as to why.
My point of all this is very simple. You should be guided by LOVE at all times. This is what our Lord did, much to the derision and complaint of the religious leaders of his day.
Yes, acceptance is the right thing to do. But you can't just explain the Bible away, can you? It isn't just homosexuality either, but that happens to be one of the most striking examples. I wonder if Jesus lived today, would he tell us to discard the Bible altogether and just be good? Interestingly, it would put many 'enemies' of Christianity in a Jesus-like position. I guess that makes Christians like modern-day Jews. That's some confusing nomenclature, but you get my point. :)
There are too quotes of Jesus that are intriguing to ponder.....
Jesus Crhist of Nazareth wrote:I came not to destroy the Law, but to fulfill it.
Jesus Christ of Narareth answered the question, what is the greatest commandment? wrote:You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the great and foremost commandment. And a second is like it, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself
In these two quotes he does not negate the Jewish Law, but says that true love of your God and your neighbor will guide you in all you need to do. To me, that really says it all. As to the parallels of the Jews and Christians of today, I would say this. Pentacostals and Charismatics are like the Pharisees and Baptist and Fundamentalists are like the Sadducees. When I state that I am a Christian, I mean it in the true sense of the original meaning of the word, as in a follower of the teachings of Jesus Christ of Nazareth.
Jonathan, I would suspect that on most moral and ethical issues you and I would agree 100%. Simply put, whether you believe in God or not, there are some things that are Right and some things that are Wrong. It is sad that on many of those things I cannot fully agree with those that proclaim to be my brother or sister in the Christian faith (note the word proclaim there, sometimes ya' really gotta wonder).
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Mecca
Match Winner

Post by Mecca »

There is no way the bible is legit anymore. So much of it has been changed since Bible 1.0.

Pretty sure of Jesus were to read
It now, he would get about 24 pages in, close the book and say "dafuq".
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

Mecca wrote:There is no way the bible is legit anymore. So much of it has been changed since Bible 1.0.
Don't get me started. A while ago I saw on TV that some guys were preaching Islam in the most conservative towns around here. Among the things one of them said was that it was like Windows 7 vs. Windows Vista or whatever, and that we just had to get used to it. Well, yes, they're the more recent major branch that claims to be more truthful. The thing is, Windows was created by man. And I don't need any version of it to take over my life.

compguy: We've had it coming: how do you know it's all true? All the evidence says it isn't. I was raised in a Christian family, and have been a Christian myself for some time; I know what it feels like. That obviously didn't convince me. ;)
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

Jonathan wrote:compguy: We've had it coming: how do you know it's all true? All the evidence says it isn't. I was raised in a Christian family, and have been a Christian myself for some time; I know what it feels like. That obviously didn't convince me. ;)
Well, I do have an answer to that. By definition, I only know that it is all true by faith. Said faith is not unsubstantiated, but substantiated by the evidence that I do see. Said faith is also a gift from God. I fully acknowledge that I cannot prove the existence of God or the truth of his Word by logic and reason alone.
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

What happens, happens. It doesn't seem to be anything that wouldn't be expected of nature. I don't need a god to explain that. And I think this is where we're deadlocked.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

Jonathan wrote:What happens, happens. It doesn't seem to be anything that wouldn't be expected of nature. I don't need a god to explain that. And I think this is where we're deadlocked.
As always, I can agree to disagree. Just know that I respect you and your position.
Ritsuka
Round Winner

Post by Ritsuka »

Wow tit you've made me see the light. No more gay sex for me thanks.
snake
Average Program

Post by snake »

The fact that your making a topic to apoligize is allready a step in the right way... Go on this way ;)
Ritsuka
Round Winner

Post by Ritsuka »

ye tit, we're all very disappointed.

are we still not addressing the fact that titan has completely lost it? :/
Titanoboa wrote:I'm bowing before the cross and I find victory. Wish I had my bible with me.
I think it's clear that this is either some serious trolling or Titan has indeed lost his mind.
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

Ritsuka wrote:ye tit, we're all very disappointed.

are we still not addressing the fact that titan has completely lost it? :/
Titanoboa wrote:I'm bowing before the cross and I find victory. Wish I had my bible with me.
I think it's clear that this is either some serious trolling or Titan has indeed lost his mind.
Titan is neither trolling, nor has he lost his mind. He is experiencing a bit of a crisis of faith and the pains of spiritual growth. I don't expect people who have no faith or belief in God to understand that. After all, to most of you any sort of a belief in God is a mental disorder or mental defect.
Titan felt the honest need to apologize for past behavior on his part that he regrets? What is the problem here?
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

compguygene wrote:After all, to most of you any sort of a belief in God is a mental disorder or mental defect.
Yes, just like believing in unicorns, fairies, and the thousands of other gods that don't exist. It takes REAL spiritual strength to face the reality that there is no one watching out for you from beyond. To be a good person without any hope of eternal reward is much more noble than prostrating before a vengeful, psychotic, impotent (and let's not forget imaginary) god.

The real spiritual crisis happens when you realize the bible is a lie.
Mecca
Match Winner

Post by Mecca »

/thread
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

sinewav wrote:
compguygene wrote:After all, to most of you any sort of a belief in God is a mental disorder or mental defect.
Yes, just like believing in unicorns, fairies, and the thousands of other gods that don't exist. It takes REAL spiritual strength to face the reality that there is no one watching out for you from beyond. To be a good person without any hope of eternal reward is much more noble than prostrating before a vengeful, psychotic, impotent (and let's not forget imaginary) god.

The real spiritual crisis happens when you realize the bible is a lie.
I find it most intriguing how atheists want tolerance for everything but religious beliefs. I am only asking that you agree to disagree and respect that we don't agree without the insulting. However, you have made it your personal mission on these forums to denigrate and insult any sort of Christian belief whenever the occasion arises. To me, this speaks more of your character than anything. We get that you find us mentally defective, insane, dumb, and wrong. Must you constantly persist in "shoving it in our face" at every opportunity? It's not like Titan and I are the only Christians around here.

Kinda funny, I am preaching about love in this topic, and you are spewing some real hatred at my beliefs, because you can....

And to make this perfectly clear. I am NOT trying to convert anybody to my beliefs. I have made it perfectly clear in this thread that I respect the beliefs of those, like yourself, that do not share my beliefs and hate what I believe. Is it really asking so much that you merely be tolerant of my beliefs? You certainly seem in other threads to be tolerant of Hinduism or Buddhism, which you do not seem to attack. Must you attack Christianity at every turn with such vigor?

On a personal note, I am not attacking Atheism. I both understand and respect your choice of belief. I merely ask that you do the same.
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

I'm all for tolerance. But tolerance is not the same as granting immunity to criticism. I'm with sinewav on this. Religion shouldn't be exempt from criticism. I think we're pretty much beating a dead horse here, though.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

I agree that religion should not be above criticism. I also think we are beating a dead horse here as well.