Tronformer

Anything About Anything...
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Re: Tronformer

Post by Phytotron »

Word wrote:Don't forget Grid Bugs :wink:
Phytotron wrote:Gridbugs would pretty obviously be the Insecticons.
Oh yeah, Bit. I'm fairly certain there was a similar character in Transformers. Some cutesy thing that didn't really talk? Hrm, can't recall off the top of my head.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Colored for more Tron!

Ugh, this took so many hours to finish. I don't think I can animate any more of these, but maybe make some simple drawings when I get time. Word should take this to the next level and transform a 3D model. :)
Attachments
lightcycleArcee.gif
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

Yeah but I did 3d so often that it's time to do something 2d :) I will have some time after next tuesday.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Oi and oy, you da man. But...pink! Bad guys are blue.
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Very, very slick. ^^
theroze
Match Winner

Post by theroze »

Holy shit. I can watch this for hours and never get bored.
apparition wrote:You being able to kill so many players that quickly and efficiently is evidence that the community skill level must be dropping... Sad :/
Reigning champion of: Sir-spam-a-lot 2011
chrisd
Round Winner

Post by chrisd »

sine is the coolest!!!!!!!!!!!
Gonzap
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Gonzap »

this is just brilliant, you got talent bro
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

I thought this needed some sound effects. So I did some. Hope you don't mind, sine. Bear in mind that all I've seen of transformations is a bit of one series when I was like 9 and two of the recent movies, so it's probably not what anyone expects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WQoiveqemw
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Heh, nice. I would have added a "thunk - thunk" when the legs hit the ground too.
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

I wanted some clicks and stuff, but it's just too quick. A composite noise seemed like the best bet. What we have there is a mix of steam engine, grinder, and beat to quarters.
vov
Match Winner

Post by vov »

Nice one :)
Jonathan wrote:That does look impressive.
Tank Program wrote:That was pretty impressive. Now it needs to go and stomp on other light cycles.
Care to explain how that will work with light cycle physics? :D
Press Shift+Escape, obviously.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

Tank Program wrote:Bear in mind that all I've seen of transformations is a bit of one series when I was like 9 and two of the recent movies, so it's probably not what anyone expects.
Yeah, forget the recent movies; they're garbage, on so many levels. Any episode of the original 1980's Transformers—a 23-minute cartoon aimed at children, created primarily for the purpose of selling toys, mind you—had a better story/plot, characters, and dialogue than any of the Michael Bay abominations. Even the visuals are cooler, I say. I think the cartoons are actually fairly entertaining, and much more watchable as an adult than the absolutely banal, vacuous ACTIONPACKEDEXTREMEEXPLOSIONSANDGRAPHICSINYOURFACETEENAGEANGSTYSEXYEYECANDYSHINYOBJECTSSENSORYOVERLOADYEAH!!!!! stupidity that is the recent movies.

So, as I sorta alluded to earlier, the original "Generation 1 (G1)" Transformers, especially the first two seasons, is the gold standard. And as it pertains to the transformation sound effects, they're downright iconic. Here are a couple examples: It's "an 8hz pulse, repeated five times, with each pulse lasting a roughly equal amount of time, whose pitch can be represented by the absolute value of a declining (for robot mode to alt-mode) or increasing (for alt-mode to robot mode) sine wave. In general, the larger the robot, the deeper the pitch of the sound, and the longer the duration of the pulses." I also found a site, TFCog, that has collected sound effects from some of the different series. The G1 collection has a several transformation samples.

All that said, I figure the appropriate transformation sound effect for a lightcycle "Tronsformer" might be a combination of the sound effects heard in the original scene, right after the lady says "prepare to transport to lightcycle grid" and right after Sark hits the button and the lightcycles rez from those bars they're holding. There's also a sound that, I think, was included with one of the earliest moviepacks for this game, as part of intro.wav. I'd dig it out, but it's on my external drive and I've been having trouble with that. :x :(

Also, combiners. Guys, combiners. Imagine, if you will:

Two Recognizers form the body: the first in normal configuration forming the lower torso and upper legs, or as [whatchamacallits] for the legs to attach to/around; the second on top with its legs out horizontally and shortened to form the upper torso, shoulders, and head. Legs formed by Tank Programs, and arms formed by lightcycles, a pair each. Tank Program turrets become an arm or shoulder cannon, Solar Sailor transforms into a light sword. Oh, and one of the platforms from the jai-alai scene becomes the combiner's identity disc. :D
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Phytotron wrote:Also, combiners. Guys, combiners. Imagine, if you will:
Hmmm, I might try a sketch of that. But I'll be damned if I animate it. Takes... Too... Long...
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

Yeah, I wouldn't expect you to do the whole animation deal. It would be cool to see it drawn up nice, though. And I don't draw very well, less so on the computer. Were you so inclined.

Here's a really quick and super-crappy illustration of what I sorta had in mind for the torso and arms, using images I swiped from the web. I can't really think of how the Tank Programs would reconfigure into the legs, but they would attach overtop/around the Recognizer's former legs there. And I guess the front wheel of the Lightcycle could open up into a hand, or just attach accessories like they had with Transformers. The scaling is probably wrong there; I didn't look up images for reference. If the Lightcycles needed to be smaller, they could maybe expand their midsections lengthwise, as some of the old Transformers did. And, of course, the cycles could be flipped, nose to nose, tail to tail, whatever looked better or made more sense structurally.

:roll:
Attachments
bad draft.png