50%
Bridge
50%

Total votes: 12

sinewav
Graphic Artist

Pickups. Not The Fortress Kind.

Post by sinewav »

I've loved the neck position right from my first days playing.
teen
Round Winner

Re: Pickups. Not The Fortress Kind.

Post by teen »

Neck for sweeping and arpeggios!
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

My "favorite" is whichever one best suits the purpose at that moment. And that depends on the music I'm playing, the type of guitar on which it's being played, and the type of pickups. So, can't answer.

Plus, you exclude the tele middle position, and that just ain't right.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Phytotron wrote:Plus, you exclude the tele middle position, and that just ain't right.
My pickup config is modeled after the tele. I've got single-coils in the neck and bridge, but my middle position is wired out of phase so it has massive twang. I can totally skank in that position. But no matter what, I always find myself gravitating toward the neck every time.
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

When playing pop/rock with many people involved, I usually use the bridge pickup to not collide with keys and acoustic guitar(s). Accompanying jazz, I most usually go for the neck pickup. Playing solos, it depends on the solo of course.

And it's usually not an as conscious decision as I make it out to be above. Depends on my mood at the moment too.

Overall, I personally prefer the sound of the neck pickup (with almost 0 "tone"!).
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Titanoboa wrote:Overall, I personally prefer the sound of the neck pickup (with almost 0 "tone"!).
Nice! I usually leave my tone between 2-3 for just about everything unless I there is a part I really need to cut through for.
Titanoboa

Post by Titanoboa »

Yeah. I used to hate ever bringing the tone (on either pickup)* over 50%. And I hated the sound from the bridge pickup (and still do when playing alone). But I've (unwillingly) learned that it sounds good with bridge pickup and 10 tone in some situations.

*I play on a telecaster, so only two single coil pickups.
nelg

Post by nelg »

Titanoboa wrote:Tit 3
Humans use duct tape to fix everything. God uses nails.
Your wrong.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

sinewav wrote:my middle position is wired out of phase
On purpose? :wink:
Titanoboa wrote:Overall, I personally prefer the sound of the neck pickup (with almost 0 "tone"!). ... Yeah. I used to hate ever bringing the tone (on either pickup)* over 50%. And I hated the sound from the bridge pickup (and still do when playing alone).
Then something's wrong.

Also,
teen wrote:Neck for sweeping and arpeggios!
Just :roll:

nelg wrote:Your wrong.
His wrong what? Also, that's his signature, if you hadn't noticed. Don't comment on it here where it's completely irrelevant.
nelg

Post by nelg »

Phytotron wrote:
Titanoboa wrote:Overall, I personally prefer the sound of the neck pickup (with almost 0 "tone"!). ... Yeah. I used to hate ever bringing the tone (on either pickup)* over 50%. And I hated the sound from the bridge pickup (and still do when playing alone).
Then something's wrong.

Also,
teen wrote:Neck for sweeping and arpeggios!
Just :roll:

nelg wrote:Your wrong.
His wrong what? Also, that's his signature, if you hadn't noticed. Don't comment on it here where it's completely irrelevant.
I hadn't noticed... i can put my signiture on here. ah crap its removed
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Phytotron wrote:
You know it! Totally on purpose. You see, I'm one of those kids who spent more time taking apart my toys than playing with them. As soon as I got a guitar, I started rewiring it and swapping / adding parts. About 2 years ago I put a knob on my bass that worked like a combination high-pass filter / gain reduction because I wanted certain dynamics for a couple songs in my metal band. Oh, and I added a kill-switch so I could flip it the bass on/off really fast for fun! (I was envious of my friend's SG because it had independent volume for each pickup -- but I only had one pickup at the bridge.)
Titanoboa

Post by Titanoboa »

nvm, pm.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

You should check out those old Electra guitars, sinewav.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

I only own "cheap" guitars, and I'm totally familiar with SLM's catalog. When I shop, I find a neck and body I like for as inexpensive as possible, then customize it -- pickups, bridge, tuners, everything. The final product is usually about the same price as a name-brand, but it's completely tailored for my purposes. I've never owned a Fender or Gibson or even an Ibanez, Jackson, or Dean yet I usually get some great tone.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

sinewav wrote:I've never owned...an Ibanez, Jackson, or Dean
No one should, heh. Well, those 70's and early 80's Japanese Ibanezes can be really good; at least as good as the CBS Fender and Norlin Gibsons of the time. And supposedly the 80's USA/pre-FMIC Jacksons were of good quality, but sooo not my type.

Yeah, I figured you might dig those MCP guitars, as well as some of the other models with all the switches.
When I shop, I find a neck and body I like for as inexpensive as possible, then customize it -- pickups, bridge, tuners, everything. The final product is usually about the same price as a name-brand, but it's completely tailored for my purposes.
I think the modification/upgrading (as distinct from customization of a fundamentally good quality instrument) approach is limited—the whole "you can't polish a turd" thing—but you obviously do it as a hobby as well. Hmm, spellcheck doesn't recognize "turd."

You mod/build pedals as well, right? You do BYOC kits and whatnot? You could make a nice little side-bizness with them skillz.