cya

Anything About Anything...
eggcozy
Average Program

cya

Post by eggcozy »

No more tron for me. Aside from the increased number of complete asses playing the game, I truly think that the 0.2.7.1 server has reduced the amount of skill needed to be good at the game.
I know I'm sounding a bit like Digital Logic who I constantly argued with about double binding (I was only slightly on the pro-db side), but the 0.2.7.1 server has actually made me dislike double binders ... or at least the people who's only move is to db, 180 camp a bit and shoot out with unrealistic speeds (this seems to be most people). Grinds no longer take any skill (it's pretty easy to accidentally get a perfect grind) ... and the timing of the game just seems to be off in newer versions.

On another note, I don't feel that Swampland is a breakfast server anymore ... the defining characteristics being low speed, hi accel ... and reasonable cycle delay ...

I'll try to remember to start Breakfast 0.2.6.0 occasionally for about 3 weeks at which time I'll be taking a trip to europe. BOC will probably be down for good after that.

Good luck to those trying to make tron a good game again, although after my first looks at the upcoming .2.8.0 server, I don't expect much ... the high priority items seem to be fancy features rather than better game play.

cheerio
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

(post empty, Lucifer doesn't like parting shots. If you want a fight, stick around to finish it)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Re: cya

Post by dlh »

eggcozy wrote:No more tron for me. Aside from the increased number of complete asses playing the game, I truly think that the 0.2.7.1 server has reduced the amount of skill needed to be good at the game.
I know I'm sounding a bit like Digital Logic who I constantly argued with about double binding (I was only slightly on the pro-db side), but the 0.2.7.1 server has actually made me dislike double binders ... or at least the people who's only move is to db, 180 camp a bit and shoot out with unrealistic speeds (this seems to be most people). Grinds no longer take any skill (it's pretty easy to accidentally get a perfect grind) ... and the timing of the game just seems to be off in newer versions.

On another note, I don't feel that Swampland is a breakfast server anymore ... the defining characteristics being low speed, hi accel ... and reasonable cycle delay ...

I'll try to remember to start Breakfast 0.2.6.0 occasionally for about 3 weeks at which time I'll be taking a trip to europe. BOC will probably be down for good after that.

Good luck to those trying to make tron a good game again, although after my first looks at the upcoming .2.8.0 server, I don't expect much ... the high priority items seem to be fancy features rather than better game play.

cheerio
This fit my theory that people who post on this board write with way too many ellipses. Let me introduce you to your new favorite character—the em dash. Yes, there is more than one kind of dash. Everytime you want to include a sudden stop or change of topic mid-sentence use an em dash. An ellispe means missing text, or it means you are stuttering. To make an em dash on your Mac hold down option+shift and press the '-' key. Holding down just option and pressing '-' would make an en dash (half an em), but we won't get into that.

In egg's post I only see one place where it could be used correctly in place of the ellipse. "I don't expect much—the high priority…" Note the correct usage of the ellipse.

The biggest abusers of the ellipse; Luke-Jr and TnA.

Oh, and I told you that you should have copyrighted the Breakfast settings. That way, there would be no dispute over what a real Breakfast server is. Instead, the term is open for interpretation. I consider Swampland to be real Breakfast server.

(Standard goodbye as thread dissolves into flamewar incited by me?)
Sabarai
The Former Man of Cheese

Post by Sabarai »

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww... :(
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Well, alls I can say is I can't really blame eggcozy for feeling the way he does. That shtuff does get boring and annoying when that's all a person does. Of course, I've had my diatribes about that elsewhere. (I'm obviously as yet unable to comment on his evalutation of the upcoming version, but I sure hope it won't turn out to be true. See thread on Gamer's Manifesto. :) )

It is true that ellipsis points are used to indicate that one has omitted material from a quotation. It should also be noted that the proper manner of typing them is to type three periods with a space before and after each period. Four periods should be typed to indicated an omission between two sentences (a period for the sentence followed by three spaced periods. . . .).

The em dash, used for dramatic pauses or brief digressions, is a handy bit of punctuation indeed. However, it is primarily—and some would argue, exclusively—used in literary writing. It generally should not be used in academic and/or scholarly works, such as research papers. (It may also be typed as two adjoined hyphens.)

Yes, ellipses are used excessively on not only this board, but also on the web—nay, throughout the country—in general. One may also add the following common transgressions:
• lack of capital letters to begin sentences or proper nouns
• non-words such as u, r, 2, b4, and cya
• overuse of abbreviations and acronyms (e.g., wtf, omg, stfu)
• ridiculous and deliberate misspellings thought 2 b 2 kool 4 skool
• inability to construct a complete sentence with proper syntax
• no understanding of proper paragraph usage
• unnecessary CAPS
• misplaced and dangling modifiers
• sentences and clauses ending with prepositions (e.g., "who I constantly argued with")
• confusion of whose with who's
• use of good when well is the proper word
• little understanding of verb tenses beyond what happens to come naturally
• elementary-level vocabulary
• the seemingly ubiquitous use of your instead of the correct you're
• incorrect usage or commas and semicolons, if used at all

Yes, poor grammar and spelling are widespread, often coupled with an indignant pride in one's own ignorance of the language. To put it another way: peeps r dum.

All that said, Steven Pinker reminds us of the difference between prescriptive language and descriptive language (Grammar Puss), as does Dr. Language.

:D
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

eggcozy wrote:Grinds no longer take any skill (it's pretty easy to accidentally get a perfect grind)
On Swampland you hit a wall (the thing holding you back, not the visible wall) soon after approaching with rubber. The depth of that wall is not fixed and it's hard to get significantly deeper than that. So if someone accidently gets deep he/she has a great advantage. It takes a ton of adjusts to get significantly deeper than your own wall, let alone someone else's if it's deeper.
IMO any reasonable/playable settings can lead to interesting games. They give players certain advantages and disadvantages in different situations. The player who exploits them best (along with predicting others and such) is the better player. Note that I'm replying to the settings part, not the Swampland/Breakfast part.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
eggcozy
Average Program

Post by eggcozy »

nemostultae wrote: Everytime you want to include a sudden stop or change of topic mid-sentence use an em dash. An ellispe means missing text, or it means you are stuttering.

flamewar incited by me?
Yes, the flame war has begun. I've never been one to adhere to many of the pedantic rules of grammer. The ellipse is quite a powerful tool for indicating a moment of thought ... comas usally indicating a quick pause, and a dash, as nemo has said, indicating a change of topic. The ellipse on the otherhand can indicate a brief moment of thought ... as well as provide the reader an opportunity to digest the preceding text. The real power comes though in the ability to add additional periods to indicate the extent of this pause in thought .... four periods may foreshadow a rather thoughful statement ..... five ... you better listen up ...... six, your grandma died ....... seven, small pox was released from a crop duster over Halton City ........ I've never used eight, but if I had gotten her pregnant, I would have used it in my letter to mom.

And yes, ellipses are used when omitting text in quotations, but language is meant to evolve. I wouldn't be surprised though if expanded use of ellipses does not become mainstream because of the reluctance to admit that one is actually pausing to think.
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

It's [...] mid quotation.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Wow, you've just made up your own entire set of grammatical and punctuational rules there, eggcozy. :o

Tank, you shouldn't place the ellipsis points between brackets. It should look like this:

"Tank, you shouldn't place the . . . between brackets."
Sabarai
The Former Man of Cheese

Post by Sabarai »

Shouldn't it be like this? (...) that's the way it works in dutch...
iceman
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Yorkshire, England. Quote: Its the fumes, they make one want to play

Post by iceman »

I agree with egg's original post about no skill needed in 0271

In 0271 I can crash into a wall, wait around for a while thinking about what to do then turn and survive with a perfect tight grind !

I prefer 0260 servers because hitting a wall kills ya dead and thats how it should be

Hope things are better in 0280, I know you guys have been adding a lot of options to try and get that 0260 feel

Hope it works well
Image He who laughs last, probably has a back-up
sorry about the large animated gif
Thak
Average Program

Post by Thak »

See you later eggcozy, hopefully on a server full of non-retarded players sometime.

A lot more people seem to be playing just for the win, and not for fun, and keep doing that slingshot, slingshot, slingshot, quintriplebinding, run away to do another slingshot thing. These players can be beaten, but it makes the game annoying - not fun.

Does anyone remember the game two years ago? Everyone who played it, played it completly different. There was no double binding, no secret tricks, but a huge variety of strategies competing against eachother. Like a giant game of chess.

I complain about double binding all the time, and people say it is built into the game, so its a fair move etc. But the bottom line is, the game is less fun from people using it, and absolutely relying on it. Haha, Digital Logic's 'crutch of the weak' line is perfect.

And what is with no one making 5 person spirals anymore.
root down
Round Winner

Post by root down »

non db for life
stakes is high
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

I've been dbing less and less over the last couple of months. It's gotten to where I might only use db 5-7 times in a round. :)

There have been some really nice new tactics to come out recently. I remember not too long ago people complaining about wall hugging, where someone would just hug the rim wall on a really tight grind and nobody watch people hurl themselves at the wall trying to get them. When's the last time that happened? (Ok, so maybe the wall huggers are just doing 180s on the wall now where before they wouldn't)

I don't think the 180s are the problem y'all think they are, I think the problem (and I've said this time and time again, and regardless of what eggcozy says, it's a high priority item for the next release) is that there's no more grind. I can assure you that the new version will have the grind back. It might feel a little different, and it might require players to run the new version of the client, but it will be back. It already has it, in fact. That, by itself, is enough to make these db-crutchers find new tactics to win. And when the game again requires more skill to be competitive, the jerks eggcozy was talking about will have to find something else to do, or go back to playing counterstrike.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

Sabarai wrote:Shouldn't it be like this? (...) that's the way it works in dutch...
I'm going by APA rules.