Which option should I choose? (personal help)

Anything About Anything...
ItzAcid
Match Winner

Which option should I choose? (personal help)

Post by ItzAcid »

For the university I attend, it is a requirement to go out of the country in order to get a "world view" of our studies. For my major, the two most appealing trips is one to Alaska (It is considered to be culturally different enough to count as "out of the country") and another to Cambridge University. In Alaska, I would be conducting personal research with a professional in the area and presenting a report when I came back. It would take place during Summer, and it would last around 8 weeks. As for Cambridge, I wouldn't be working with any professionals. It would just be a regular semester at the university, but of course, it'd be awesome to study there :P. It would take place during the Spring and would last roughly... 12 weeks.

What are the pros and cons of each, in your opinion, and which one should I choose? Just curious for the opinion on which trip would be the most beneficial.
Won Tourneys/Competitions: WWG4 (Hmm, need more braggage like Durka)

Oo oO

raph123
Average Program

Re: Which option should I choose? (personal help)

Post by raph123 »

Alaska. Stay as far away from hoax and potter as possible.

sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

ItzAcid wrote:... Alaska (It is considered to be culturally different enough to count as "out of the country") and another to Cambridge University.
WTF are you serious? If those were the choices I was given from a university wanting me to experience a different "world view," I would demand my money back and drop out immediately. Good luck trying to have a character-shaping experience in either of those places. :roll:

Desolate
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Desolate »

And sylla raph..don't forget the fake one

DDMJ
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by DDMJ »

Cambridge

Nelhybel
Round Winner

Post by Nelhybel »

Alaska, hands down.
Feel free to contact me here or on the grid if you would like assistance or support in beginning a relationship with Jesus Christ.
---
uNa| United Noobs of Armagetron Forums
-=}ID< Immortal Dynasty Forums
_~`Ww_ Wild West Forums

Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

If I were to choose Alaska I'd follow Sarah Palin on twitter just to make sure I don't cross her path while I'm in her sphere of influence

Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Nelhybel wants you to go to Alaska because, aside from the indigenous peoples, it's all right-wing conservative Christians. Yeah, how your university can claim that is culturally distinct is beyond me, especially with you being from TN. Now, if you were going to be staying in a native community, that might be something, but I'm going to assume that wouldn't be the case (correct me if I'm wrong). It is awesomely beautiful there, though—away from the pipelines, anyway—if you would have the chance to get out into it.

I might would choose Cambridge for the library alone. Plus, you can easily tour Europe by train, if you have the time and opportunity.

Go with whichever would provide the greatest breadth and depth of experience and enrichment. At first glance, I would think Cambridge would best offer that opportunity. Or at least would have the potential to—it's up to you to take advantage of it.

Clutch
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Clutch »

Pfft. Just come to Canada. We have..snow
Boxed

Desolate
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Desolate »

clutch might punish you in ways unimaginable, don't go near him

ItzAcid
Match Winner

Post by ItzAcid »

Phyto, that's the pretty cool thing about the Alaskan trip. It's near a native community, but it's not IN it. The research will be partially conducted while in contact with some of the natives, though very limited, and also with the assigned group leaders. So you're not wrong, more like 80-20 :P. Honestly, I'm leaning torwards Cambridge right now. Primarily because I won't have the oppurtunity to ever study there again. I can easily take a trip to Alaska at another time. Sine, those are just my two picks. The trips span a wide range from poverty areas in Africa to art studies in Paris. Honestly, I just avoided the African trip, it being medical assistance, because I'm not sure if I'll be going pre-med yet.

Lol @ Word, Deso, and Raph.

Boxed, I plan to come eventually. Not sure when though ;)
Won Tourneys/Competitions: WWG4 (Hmm, need more braggage like Durka)

Oo oO

Clutch
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Clutch »

Desolate wrote:clutch might punish you in ways unimaginable, don't go near him
Only if you die first :wink:

(No one is going to know what the **** we're talking about..)
Boxed

Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Yeah, I was just about to follow-up since I forgot to ask in my first post: What are the other options? I or someone else might be able to make a compelling case for one of them over your current two preferred picks. :) Indeed, both the art study in Paris and the African study might well qualify, but I don't know what all you're into. Of course, it's not just about your college track, it's about life. That is, again, assuming you aren't restrained to a self- or study-imposed enclave. I've heard that often happens with Americans going to Oxford or The American University in Cairo; they all just tend to stick together and don't venture out, which is a damn shame.

Hoax
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Hoax »

Cambridge because as you said you can go to Alaska any time

þsy
Match Winner

Post by þsy »

Cambridge! Phyto is right, you can pick up a rail card for less than 300 euros which would give you a months travel by train (or less money for less time)

It's not too far from London either, and there are lots of great English people!