Linux! (Split from Tutorials!)

Anything About Anything...
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Linux! (Split from Tutorials!)

Post by Light »

epsy wrote:
Light wrote:Otherwise just ./configure then make && make install like normal.
Or just yaourt -S armagetronad-svn! Oh wait, you might not be using ArchLinux, or even Linux at all!

Yes, that's quite outdated ಠ_ಠ
What kind'a person don't use Linux? :P
Clu42
On Lightcycle Grid

Re: Tutorials!

Post by Clu42 »

I'm a Windows/Ubuntu kinda guy. Ubuntu is how i discovered this game!
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Light wrote:What kind'a person don't use Linux? :P
Bad persons we don't want anything to to with, that's who!

No, seriously, there are builds for Windows and Linux ready in the link I gave. Just Macsters are missing out, not because we hate them, but because I currently can't build proper release packages. Bugs me as much as you. I could put up debug builds, it's just that they're 50 MB or something, and PPC only.

Oh, and of course ZeroInstall also works on Windows :)
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Light »

Phytotron wrote:People who don't have any interest in running a computer via command lines and a terminal or have use for all that other technical stuff, and don't have the kind of attitude you expressed. Develop a distro (if that's the word) of Linux that's completely GUI-based, doesn't require any command-line stuff unless you want to (like Mac), and I'll use it. Sadly, seems like most Linux people have an attitude that disparages such a thing (like, "you don't deserve to use a computer if you won't learn this stuff") or it doesn't even occur to them to make such a thing ("Why would anyone want that? What's the point?"). ::shrug::
Actually, in Ubuntu (and I'm sure many other distros) you don't have to use the terminal for basically anything. There are GUIs for just about, if not everything. Users just tend to lean towards the terminal for everything because think about it ... type "sudo apt-get install game" or go into the list of packages, search for that game, then install it. It's just simple and much more efficient. There's better examples too that would show more time saving, but that's just the first to pop off my head. If you gave it a real shot, you would find out that typing commands is much nicer than GUI many times.

Also, if it weren't for Ubuntu, I would never have found Tron ... so that gives it a big +1 right there. :P I also can't stand going on Windows where you gotta go online to find every program you want, then they always try to install extra crap like toolbars, and the Windows Updates, and the speed difference is really noticable, along with install speeds. Before Linux, I felt Windows was good, but after I gave Linux a real shot, I couldn't go back.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Phytotron wrote:People who don't have any interest in running a computer via command lines and a terminal or have use for all that other technical stuff, and don't have the kind of attitude you expressed. Develop a distro (if that's the word) of Linux that's completely GUI-based, doesn't require any command-line stuff unless you want to (like Mac), and I'll use it. Sadly, seems like most Linux people have an attitude that disparages such a thing (like, "you don't deserve to use a computer if you won't learn this stuff") or it doesn't even occur to them to make such a thing ("Why would anyone want that? What's the point?"). ::shrug::[/size]
Arguing from ignorance. You're so 2008, I say two thousand and late.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Trying not to get too off track but...
Phytotron wrote:Develop a distro (if that's the word) of Linux that's completely GUI-based, doesn't require any command-line stuff unless you want to (like Mac), and I'll use it.
They did develop it: Ubuntu. The GUI (Gnome) is heavily inspired by OSX (a slight mod and it can look exactly like it). The quest to make Linux simpler and more user friendly strangely drew criticism from Linus Torvalds, the creator of the Linux kernel. In a widely quoted email he says "This 'users are idiots, and are confused by functionality' mentality of Gnome is a disease. If you think your users are idiots, only idiots will use it. I don't use Gnome, because in striving to be simple, it has long since reached the point where it simply doesn't do what I need it to do."

Lunix is totally on par with Win/MAC when it comes to everyday stuff like Internet, word processing, business computing, playing music/videos etc.. (actually, the music/video file support is much better than Win/MAC). The software for art/graphics is only slightly behind Adobe's suite (which is too bloated anyway), but Blender makes up the difference. Where Linux falls flat is Audio and Video production (realistically about a decade behind).

The thing that's cool about Ubuntu (and many popular distros like Mint and Fedora) is that you can run the OS off a CD/DVD on your computer and try it out to see if you even like it.

Unfortunately you're right when it comes to the holier-than-thou attitude Linux users have. Then again, I've met a lot of MAC that do the same thing. So, you know, who cares? A computer is a tool, not a lifestyle. And right now Linux is the best tool for my needs.
milan
Average Program

Post by milan »

sinewav wrote:They did develop it: Ubuntu. The GUI (Gnome) is heavily inspired by OSX (a slight mod and it can look exactly like it).

Actually Ubuntu doesn't use gnome for a while now.

Modern linux distros are really much more n00b friendly in everyday computing than other OSes. Use win or mac from live disc and see for your self, o, no, sry, you can't, no such thing, but as sine said, you can on linux. Measure installation time for win and any modern distro. You can have fully operating OS (with codecs, office, all sorts of players, games...) under 20 minutes with linux, try that with win. And don't forget virus paranoia you are liberated from on linux....and many, many more things that make your life easier.
syllabear
Shutout Match Winner

Re: Linux! (Split from Tutorials!)

Post by syllabear »

For more amusing pictures, just search for images relating to "windows mac linux comparison"
The Halley's comet of Armagetron.
ps I'm not tokoyami
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

milan wrote:Actually Ubuntu doesn't use gnome for a while now.
Gnome is still included alongside Unity. But you're right about all the modern distros, they are much more n00b friendly. I use Mint on a second computer. Personally, I'm likely to start using Fedora soon because I haven't heard enough good stuff about Unity. Seems like Unity is Ubuntu's "Vista."
ItzAcid
Match Winner

Post by ItzAcid »

syllabear wrote:Image

For more amusing pictures, just search for images relating to "windows mac linux comparison"

:lol: So true.
Won Tourneys/Competitions: WWG4 (Hmm, need more braggage like Durka)

Oo oO
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

sinewav wrote:Seems like Unity is Ubuntu's "Vista."
A bit. It's certainly a bit unfinished. I wouldn't use it on my machines in its current form, but it's about perfect for my wife's netbook. There's a button to run Firefox and one for Thunderbird :) I'm hoping it'll get to an universally usable state in the next LTS.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Well then, maybe I'll have to look into this Ubuntu thang sometime. No command-line necessary, ever, for an average user? I mean, even this "compiling from source" stuff. I don't wanna do it. Plug and play? Internet setup?
sinewav wrote:Unfortunately you're right when it comes to the holier-than-thou attitude Linux users have. Then again, I've met a lot of MAC that do the same thing. So, you know, who cares? A computer is a tool, not a lifestyle.
I absolutely agree, and have made the same point on this forum to people who post all that stupid pro-Linux, and especially the anti-Mac stuff. Like this, for instance. Considering what OS one uses to be part of his "identity" is absurd, at best. Linux users are every bit as guilty as some of the flakey Apple fans. And, like I said, I think that attitude has shaped a lot of the Linux, and more broadly the open-source, "community." "What, you're not as geek and tech-savvy as us? F'ck you, then. Go away."

I don't use Mac because of some notion of what it "says about me." I use it because I'm familiar with it, it's simple and intuitive, and it, as they say, "just works." I don't even want to deal with the degree of geekiness required to run Windows, dig. I'm not a geek (not that there's anything wrong with that!), and have no interest in becoming one. I'm happy to point and click.

Of course, I would still have to get a new computer, which is money (and no, I'm not going to build one, people :roll: ). Unless, can it run on an eMac? And then I'd have to figure out how to transfer all the files over and sheeit.

And here's another question: Is there any computer hardware that isn't made by slave labor in China?
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Phytotron wrote:No command-line necessary, ever, for an average user? I mean, even this "compiling from source" stuff. I don't wanna do it. Plug and play? Internet setup?
Pretty much. But that's also a reason NOT to switch. If Linux is just as good as a Mac, then just use the Mac, right? If you can afford it and don't mind proprietary systems, why not?

Now, the reason I switched to Linux had to do with Windows Vista. As soon as that thing rolled out I was like, "uh, no way. I'm not going there." And there is no chance I could ever afford a Mac, so that was out of the question too (plus I don't like them as much, having used one 8 hours a day for about a decade). In some sense, I was kind of forced into Linux, haha. I can't afford a Mac or a computer strong enough to run Win7, so I use the much lighter, faster, leaner Linux system.
Jip
Round Winner

Post by Jip »

Phytotron wrote:Well then, maybe I'll have to look into this Ubuntu thang sometime. No command-line necessary, ever, for an average user? I mean, even this "compiling from source" stuff. I don't wanna do it. Plug and play? Internet setup?
You can experience a basic feeling for it on http://www.ubuntu.com/tour/
You can boot your computer with a Desktop CD and see if it runs. The setup of ubuntu 11.10 is very simple.
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

Something I've noticed about Apple stuff is that it feels robust in a sense. I don't mean that in the sense of never crashing (I wish I could say that), but it feels right somehow. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it's something that I've only found in Apple. If not for that, I'd certainly be using more alternatives.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn