9/11 - 10 Year Anniversary

Anything About Anything...
INW
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

9/11 - 10 Year Anniversary

Post by INW »

Most people know it was yesterday (for Americans).

I am wondering how the rest of the world (non-Americans) sees the event of 9/11.

Do you guys see it as just any other day of the year in which some tragic event occurred or is it a little deeper like most Americans?

I've seen a lot of comments from non-Americans (or so they say) about how the U.S. is trash and that we deserved the attacks and I've also seen a lot of sympathetic comments.

How was Sunday for you guys?
MrsKsr
Shutout Match Winner

Re: 9/11 - 10 Year Anniversary

Post by MrsKsr »

Meh, been 10 years. Worse stuff has happened.

Also,
"You may say I'm a dreamer but I'm not the only one;
I hope some day you will join us, and the world can live as one"

“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.”

I believe that to truly love is the ultimate expression of the will to live.
LucK
Shutout Match Winner

Post by LucK »

MrsKsr wrote:Meh, been 10 years. Worse stuff has happened.

Also,
<quoted picture snip>
To most Americans 1 US death is worth more than all of those that died in Iraq/Afghanistan.
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

And the rest of the world see them highly for that.
Kijutsu
Match Winner

Post by Kijutsu »

I don't care.

Your message contains 13 characters. The minimum number of characters you need to enter is 21.
MrsKsr
Shutout Match Winner

Post by MrsKsr »

Mhm, and you wonder why nobody likes Americans...
"You may say I'm a dreamer but I'm not the only one;
I hope some day you will join us, and the world can live as one"

“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.”

I believe that to truly love is the ultimate expression of the will to live.
Clutch
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Clutch »

mfw I saw this thread and knew what was going to happen.

Boxed
matchbox53
Round Winner

Post by matchbox53 »

I really dont get what is your intentions inw really? you think america is the only country that lost lives or they had it the worse ?

Go take a look around see how many people were murdered all over the world and until today it didnt stop.

@luck What the hell are you trying to say ? your ego has no limit.
LucK
Shutout Match Winner

Post by LucK »

matchbox53 wrote:I really dont get what is your intentions inw really? you think america is the only country that lost lives or they had it the worse ?

Go take a look around see how many people were murdered all over the world and until today it didnt stop.

@luck What the hell are you trying to say ? your ego has no limit.
I didn't say I believed that. I said MOST Americans I thought it was common knowledge that there are a lot of Americans who think this way.

Ps. If you really think I have a big ego you are wrong. I joke a lot about how I think I am the best I thought it was obvious that I am not the best. Sorry didn't think I had to point out obvious shit.
Slov
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Slov »

it was a big tragic and a lot of people died and I do agree worst things have happened but that doesn't take away the fact it was horrible. RIP everyone who passed away on that day (civilians, firefighters and rest of people who tried to help).

And I'm sure if somebody was recording wars like they recorded the 9/11 (people jumping off the building just so they don't burn alive) and broadcasted it on TV, things would be different..
.pG (only like, the best clan ever)

my mixtape fire tho
scene
Core Dumper

Post by scene »

It was a sad day for america. And, since I am american yes I do see it as a tragedy and don't think it should be forgotten within america. I know also that there are plenty of terrorist attacks elsewhere in the world including many in Europe. Those deaths are also tragedies.
owned
Shutout Match Winner

Post by owned »

LucK wrote: To most Americans 1 US death is worth more than all of those that died in Iraq/Afghanistan.
I honestly have no idea where you get this idea. There are undoubtedly some horrible people in the country who think that, but to say that these people form a majority of the population is downright ridiculous. You might have made more sense had you said "To most Americans, a US life is worth much more than the life of a citizen of Afghanistan or Iraq."

I want to make a few points about what people have said.

1) The act of caring more for people from your own country is definitely not an American-centric view, especially in relation to people in poor areas. This is especially obvious when you realize that mass murders and genocides occur a lot in Africa (with the most recent being in Darfur) and countries around the world do very little to stop them.

2) Comparing tragedies, especially using death counts to say stuff like "Worse things have happened" is really counterproductive. I could just as well show a graph comparing the Rwandan Genocide with Mao's Great Leap Forward and say that because the latter had 40 times as many deaths, the former wasn't really a big deal and should be ignored. Instead, tragedies should be respected for what they are, a tragic loss in human life.

3) The reason Americans are having ceremonies even 10 years after is not primarily due to the number of deaths: cars kill 10 times as many people per year. The main reason the day is remembered is because of the context. 9/11 was the first major attack on US soil by an outside force since Pearl Harbor and showed that Americans were not as safe as they believed. The day also represents a fundamental change in the direction our country moved in and is the defining moment of the past decade in America. Another reason we commemorate the day is because it, in the words of some columnist I can't remember, "brought out the best of us." There was definite heroism in the first responders who risked their lives by going into the towers, sometimes even against orders, just to save lives. In addition, there was a sense of national unity afterwards that I think many Americans hope would still exist today.
INW

Post by INW »

Meh, hope this thread doesn't explode. Luck just didn't give it a good start.
matchbox53 wrote:I really dont get what is your intentions inw really? you think america is the only country that lost lives or they had it the worse ?
Where did you get that from?

I asked a question or two, I didn't express my feelings at all towards the attack so quit with the false, flaming inferences.
owned wrote: 3) The reason Americans are having ceremonies even 10 years after is not primarily due to the number of deaths: cars kill 10 times as many people per year. The main reason the day is remembered is because of the context. 9/11 was the first major attack on US soil by an outside force since Pearl Harbor and showed that Americans were not as safe as they believed. The day also represents a fundamental change in the direction our country moved in and is the defining moment of the past decade in America. Another reason we commemorate the day is because it, in the words of some columnist I can't remember, "brought out the best of us." There was definite heroism in the first responders who risked their lives by going into the towers, sometimes even against orders, just to save lives. In addition, there was a sense of national unity afterwards that I think many Americans hope would still exist today.
Great point and explanation.
It is sort of weird but after 9/11, my mom was scared to death to fly in a plane to visit my relatives in NH because we would have to cross over NY to get there. Now my mom works for Delta Airlines and we fly all the time.
The fear from 9/11 has slipped away and some people have forgotten and are moving along. It will probably just become a picture in a history book in 1 generation, like Pearl Harbor.
vogue wrote:I don't care.
Hmmk, at least you didn't flame America and say we are pathetic (which is understandable from anyone, including Americans).
Concord

Post by Concord »

not all civilians are innocent