Shameless Self-promotion.

Anything About Anything...
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Re: Shameless Self-promotion.

Post by Word »

I think I have a lot of explicitly atheist music (e.g. "Life is a pigsty" - Morrissey, "Heaven" - Talking Heads..."Friend of the Devil", "God must be a boogie man" and "Imagine" :P ) but none of that contains snippets from some talkshow ;)
There aren't a lot of religious songs in my library i'm afraid. I've found "Blues for Allah" (Grateful Dead again) and "God bless the Absentee" (Paul Simon) and "God made an angel" (Timbuk3).

Phytotron wrote:Kate Bush, too.
Running up that hill??
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Word wrote:I think I have a lot of explicitly atheist music (e.g. "Life is a pigsty" - Morrissey, "Heaven" - Talking Heads..."Imagine" :P )
Wait, what the hell are you talking about? How is "Life is a Pigsty" "atheist music" (whatever the hell that means)? And, uh, what song called "Imagine" by Talking Heads?

Note also that I made a distinction between individual songs that feature Christian (or other religious) themes and, as sinewav originally mentioned, a band's/album's overall defining theme being Christian. Morrissey and Talking Heads don't make "atheist music" (whatever that would be), and at least the Talking Heads (not as familiar with Morrissey) have songs with Christian themes (e.g., "Heaven" and their cover of "Take Me to the River").

You're still wrong on criticising sinewav's samples.
Word wrote:
Running up that hill??
Huh?
Word

Post by Word »

Phytotron wrote:
Word wrote:I think I have a lot of explicitly atheist music (e.g. "Life is a pigsty" - Morrissey, "Heaven" - Talking Heads..."Imagine" :P )
Wait, what the hell are you talking about? How is "Life is a Pigsty" "atheist music" (whatever the hell that means)? And, uh, what song called "Imagine" by Talking Heads?
Life isn't a pigsty according to Christian religion, is it? At least the narrator can't be very religious.
I meant John Lennon's song ("imagine there's no heaven...").

Phytotron wrote:
Word wrote:
Running up that hill??
Huh?
Didn't know what you were referring to - Running up that Hill is the only Kate Bush song I remember to have contained the word "God" in some lines (although that's not the main topic).

edit: I admit I shouldn't post at 1.30 am. I tend to write things I don't think about.
Last edited by Word on Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

I'm starting to get a bit disappointed with this fixation on the tiny anti-religion aspect of the music and complete obliviousness to the pro-science/reasoning message. Why focus on the negative? Why define something by such a small, small element? Also, the entire piece can be considered more pro-religion than anti-religion since there is only one sample that speaks against, and an entire song featuring nuns chanting a prayer. :roll:
LucK
Shutout Match Winner

Post by LucK »

sinewav wrote:I'm starting to get a bit disappointed with this fixation on the tiny anti-religion aspect of the music and complete obliviousness to the pro-science/reasoning message. Why focus on the negative? Why define something by such a small, small element? Also, the entire piece can be considered more pro-religion than anti-religion since there is only one sample that speaks against, and an entire song featuring nuns chanting a prayer. :roll:
Because that's the most controversial part. People are attracted to drama.
Word

Post by Word »

I have nothing against that piece, I was just interested to see how many atheist/Christian songs I have to learn whether it ever mattered to me what they are about (subconsciously).
ItzAcid wrote:Back to sine's music! :)
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Word wrote:Life isn't a pigsty according to Christian religion, is it? At least the narrator can't be very religious.
So much illogic in those statements. 1) It's thought that the song is a reference to the themes expressed in the film "Pigsty," which is a commentary on humanity—and Germany, in particular. Nothing atheistic there. 2) How is life not a pigsty according to Christianity? 3) How is life a pigsty according to "atheism?" 4) You continue to harbor this completely distorted, negative definition of what atheism means, and whatever implications you think it must have. We've been over this before and you obviously still haven't learned anything. 5) How do you come to this conclusion that the lyricist can't be religious? 6) Do you automatically define anything that isn't pro-Christian as atheistic? 7) Even anything negative as atheistic?
I meant John Lennon's song ("imagine there's no heaven...").
Good grief, how in the world could you make that mistake? And that song isn't explicitly atheistic. Atheism is not defined as disbelief in specific Christian concepts like heaven—that would make all non-Christians atheists, wouldn't it? Nor is it even defined as "non-religious"—theists can be non-religious. Again, points we've already been over but you've apparently not understood or have refused to accept. Nor was Lennon exactly an atheist, and certainly not a naturalist or skeptic, quite the opposite. Moreover, Lennon spoke admirably of Jesus's teachings, some of which is expressed in that very song. :roll:

Word wrote:Didn't know what you were referring to - Running up that Hill is the only Kate Bush song I remember to have contained the word "God" in some lines (although that's not the main topic).
My mention of her had absolutely nothing to do with that (I don't even listen to Kate Bush or know that song). Sinewav said he doesn't get phased by songs about Jesus, in the same way he doesn't get phased by DIO's metal songs about magic and stuff. (Do you not get the implied correlation there?) I joked, sarcastically, that I took DIO seriously (as opposed to Christian music), and added Kate Bush who's all new-agey or whatever.

sinewav wrote:I'm starting to get a bit disappointed with this fixation on the tiny anti-religion aspect of the music and complete obliviousness to the pro-science/reasoning message. Why focus on the negative?
Exactly. I tried to express that, or at least allude to it, a couple times. And really, above all, that segment and the ideas expressed aren't negative. But, some folks apparently can't conceive that a naturalistic world view—one embracing and promoting reason and science, and absent supernaturalism in all its forms—could be positive, uplifting, inspiring, joyous, profound, awesome (in the classical sense of the word), progressive, constructive, bettering of humanity, indeed all life on earth, as well as our own personal satisfaction. Rather, many evidently believe that the world can only be understood as either a wonderful blessed place under God's glory, or it must be stark, dismal, bleak, hopeless, terrifying, and all-around negative.

I referenced above the discussions that erupted from Word's anti-Dawkins diatribes. Same deal. He smeared him as some kind of destructive ghoul while refusing to see all the beautiful prose Dawkins has written concerning nature and a scientific understanding thereof.

Word, and anyone else who may agree with that attitude, I suggest you watch and listen to all these Symphony of Science music videos. (The only good use of auto-tune I've ever heard.) It's a simple thing, but perhaps this sort of presentation can better impress upon and get across to you that positive, uplifting, inspiring conception of the natural world and life sans gods and other superstitions.
Also, the entire piece can be considered more pro-religion than anti-religion since there is only one sample that speaks against, and an entire song featuring nuns chanting a prayer. :roll:
Ah, yeah, I forgot to mention that in my initial response. :) Just goes to show the cultural attitude. Religious expression is considered normal and almost not even noticed, while nonreligious expression jumps out as abnormal, strange, "controversial," even wrong—as not belonging. It's why it's still an accepted form of overt bigotry to bash atheists.
ItzAcid
Match Winner

Post by ItzAcid »

I really didn't consider the "got" in that passage correct, but I'll take your word, Phyto, that it can be considered such :P. I'm pretty sure we just had a successful conversation! Haha :) . Just kidding but for real everyone,

Back to Sine's music! :)

I'm still loving the music by the way. Been listening to it while I study.
Won Tourneys/Competitions: WWG4 (Hmm, need more braggage like Durka)

Oo oO
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

8) Bonus Material.

Concurrent with the writing of this last installment of music was the "deconstruction" of the entire project. I've broken down all the material into separate tracks so you are not stuck with 3 mixes of songs (though each mix is supposed to be a single movement). All the talking samples have been taken out as well as some intermediate parts. The tracks are rewritten, remixed, and remastered (which took a very, very long time; so much time I really started to hate this whole project, haha).

http://slowwavesleep.com/deconstructed/
Attachments
sws-de.png
flea
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by flea »

Not sure what I was about to click on, but this was excellent. This whole mix reminded me of the Florida album by Diplo .. or even DSOTM!

Well Done.