Shameless Self-promotion.

Anything About Anything...
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Shameless Self-promotion.

Post by sinewav »

I just finished a music project I started in 2003. It's broken into three parts, the third just released today. Part III took a few years to complete. I spent a long time collecting source material, then life got too crazy for me to sit down and write the darn thing. I'm glad I finally finished it; but I kind of had too because I'm going deaf, rapidly. This is possibly the last big music project I'll ever work on since I'm already suffering from moderate hearing loss and my doctor wants to hook me up with hearing aids in both ears. Totally sucks. It's just going to get worse from here on out. :x

Anyway, this is kind of like the soundtrack to my life over the past several years. Enjoy. Or not. :wink:

http://www.slowwavesleep.com/the_finale ... esleep.mp3
F0RC3
Core Dumper

Re: Shameless Self-promotion.

Post by F0RC3 »

I listened to it. pretty soothing. i liked most of it probly exclude about 5-6 minutes of it and the rest i like. Good work man.
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

I've given this my first listen and, just going to say that it's so fvcking awesome in many ways. I enjoyed every minute of it, and I'm going to listen to it many more times to be able to appreciate all the details.

You had something to say with it and you made it interesting all the way through. It's brilliant work and I'm impressed beyond words at the moment. I'll give more detailed feedback after a few listens.
sinewav wrote:I'm going deaf, rapidly.
:o :? :( :( :( :( :( :( :( Very sad to hear that, especially after hearing this soundtrack.

Edit: Oh yeah and there's probably a ton of references in there I don't get (but I don't know, just assuming). But I can live with that :<
theroze
Match Winner

Post by theroze »

Nothing more to add to Titan's post.
apparition wrote:You being able to kill so many players that quickly and efficiently is evidence that the community skill level must be dropping... Sad :/
Reigning champion of: Sir-spam-a-lot 2011
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

sinewav wrote:This is possibly the last big music project I'll ever work on since I'm already suffering from moderate hearing loss and my doctor wants to hook me up with hearing aids in both ears. Totally sucks. It's just going to get worse from here on out.
Beethoven wrote some of his best works when he was old and deaf. :wink:
I liked many parts of the track, except the atheist bit of course - i just think that doesn't belong there (I'm sure someone else will say that's the best part) :P
The intro reminded me a lot of Kraftwerk (Autobahn), the middle part of the first half sounded as smooth as David Gilmour's last album and the ending a lot like Peter Gabriel's Moribund the Burgermeister.
I don't know...I think the center part sounds a lot like a mix between Depeche Mode, Jacques Loussier and Pink Floyd...if that's possible lol
(I know too less about music to describe it in a proper way so I just compare it to tunes I know)
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

Word wrote:I liked many parts of the track, except the atheist bit of course - i just think that doesn't belong there
I think it's up to sine to decide what belongs in the "soundtrack of his life." Just saying.

Hearing this made me feel like I got to know sine better as a person, and every part he included is important.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

I think it's up to sine to decide what belongs in the "soundtrack of his life." Just saying.
I was obviously joking :roll:
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

F0RC3 wrote:i liked most of it probly exclude about 5-6 minutes of it and the rest i like.
Word wrote:I liked many parts of the track, except the atheist bit of course - i just think that doesn't belong there
These opinions actually reflect the view of my closest musical friend who also found it "preachy" and boring in the middle. And, I knew he would say that, because it is. The goal of this last piece is to push past ideas I started in the previous two. Both Part I and Part II contain excerpts about society, creativity, and music. But in this final part, I wanted to take some musical risks and, keeping in line with the format I started, topical risks too (science vs religion, free will). As my friend and I discussed this last night we reminded ourselves about the creative process. Sometimes you just need to throw a bunch of stuff at the wall and see what sticks, haha. It's definitely a bit esoteric in spots. But in one sense it's shortcomings are it's strengths because it shows creative risk-taking, even if the execution falls short.

:wink: Thanks for listening.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I'm in the process of deconstructing the entire project into individual songs instead of three "mixes" of songs. They will be music only and void of all commentary. When I finish, I'll come back here and link to it.
Nelhybel
Round Winner

Post by Nelhybel »

Sine, this was awesome! Like seriously, I really thoroughly enjoyed this.

My favorite part, interestingly, was the atheist part - not for the what was being said, but because of the ambiance created by the sound of the music at that part and the tone quality of the voices speaking.

I'm very saddened to learn about your hearing, and I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers that it doesn't get worse.

Again, this was really cool; definitely a fantastic work of art!
Feel free to contact me here or on the grid if you would like assistance or support in beginning a relationship with Jesus Christ.
---
uNa| United Noobs of Armagetron Forums
-=}ID< Immortal Dynasty Forums
_~`Ww_ Wild West Forums
teen
Round Winner

Post by teen »

very progressive. listening to it as we play pickup :)
ElmosWorld
Match Winner

Post by ElmosWorld »

teen wrote:very progressive. listening to it as we play pickup :)
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Nelhybel wrote:...and I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers that it doesn't get worse.
Well, if you are going to go through the trouble of praying, then pray my hearing returns completely, and I get millions of dollars. After all, your god has infinite power. And if he had any intentions of helping at all he would have already. But if it makes you feel better...
Last edited by sinewav on Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
teen
Round Winner

Post by teen »

Everything is okay in the end, if it's not ok, then it's not the end
scene
Core Dumper

Post by scene »

Enjoyed listening to it! Good work!
sinewav wrote:
Nelhybel wrote:...and I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers that it doesn't get worse.
Well, if you are going to go through the trouble of praying, then pray my hearing returns completely, and I get millions of dollars. After all, your god has infinite power. And if he had any intentions of helping at all he would have already. But if it makes you feel better...
He was just trying to make a kind gesture... :( Optimism! :P I wish you the best of luck and hope your hearing doesn't get any worse.
Clutch
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Clutch »

Oh my ****. What effect are you using on your guitar (if it was a guitar) at 1:48, because I want it. Some kind of weird flanger/phase mix or something it sounds like.

Some parts sounded like it was from a coldplay instrumental haha I love it though, good work. I know I wouldn't have the willpower to work on a music project for 8 years :/ (and I'll beat you to it: because I'm a stoner)
Boxed