Shameless Self-promotion.

Anything About Anything...
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: Shameless Self-promotion.

Post by sinewav »

Clutch wrote:Oh my ****. What effect are you using on your guitar (if it was a guitar) at 1:48, because I want it. Some kind of weird flanger/phase mix or something it sounds like.
Not a guitar. Here, I'll show you what that craziness is. You'll freak. Take your time to go though the whole thing.
Clutch wrote:I'm a stoner
I was too before. Never hurt my ability to make music. In fact I'm pretty sure I was stoned when I sketched out Part II (some of that was written in '96 when I used to get high). You just gotta have a good musical idea and work on it when you have the time. This isn't 8 years worth of work -- it just took me that long to fit it into "life." Music is easy when you are a kid and have free time, not so much when you are my age.
Clutch
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Clutch »

sinewav wrote:
Clutch wrote:Oh my ****. What effect are you using on your guitar (if it was a guitar) at 1:48, because I want it. Some kind of weird flanger/phase mix or something it sounds like.
Not a guitar. Here, I'll show you what that craziness is. You'll freak. Take your time to go though the whole thing.
That things pretty sexy. Did you actually make that yourself? :o Or rather, re-made other products into this one? I'm interested, since I've been going to the local music store to get some pedals to get some cool effects that I like (I've been listening to Tom Morello) but there just isn't enough products because my city is relatively small and I guess the guys at Long and McQuade don't see fit to put a music shop with more than 12 guitars and some crappy equipment. So if it's possible to screw around with multiple pedals into one, maybe I could get something decent. Although, I almost definitely don't have the know-how to do it, so I guess all this is moot :/

sinewav wrote:
Clutch wrote:I'm a stoner
I was too before. Never hurt my ability to make music. In fact I'm pretty sure I was stoned when I sketched out Part II (some of that was written in '96 when I used to get high). You just gotta have a good musical idea and work on it when you have the time. This isn't 8 years worth of work -- it just took me that long to fit it into "life." Music is easy when you are a kid and have free time, not so much when you are my age.
I think I know what you mean. Ever since I started working, I've been thinking "Wow..this is going to be what it likes after highschool.." Except instead of having 2 8 hours shifts a week, I'll have one pretty much every day, and I won't be able to hang out with friends as much, or as many as I do now.

Not going to lie, life after school seems like total and complete shit
Boxed
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Clutch wrote:That things pretty sexy. Did you actually make that yourself? :o Or rather, re-made other products into this one? I'm interested, since I've been going to the local music store to get some pedals ...maybe I could get something decent.
Yeah, I made it out of broken pedals. But there is no need to build something like that if you can get a hold of working ones. :wink: I made that because I'm too cheap to buy new stuff. And broken effects are still "interesting" effects.

Sounds like you and your band need to take a field trip to a larger music store. Might be worth the drive if there is something a few hours away. I'm a big fan of effects pedals. Some are totally impractical but fun for their limited use (like auto-wah); others become a permanent part of your sound, like my Sansamp and Ibanez Wah I use in my bass rig.

Clutch wrote:Not going to lie, life after school seems like total and complete shit
Yep. But if you manage to get more freedom than responsibility you'll have a blast getting older.
FoFo
Core Dumper

Post by FoFo »

/me liked it :)

Your message contains 15 characters. The minimum number of characters you need to enter is 21.
Pr3
Round Winner

Post by Pr3 »

Clutch wrote: Not going to lie, life after school seems like total and complete shit
....oh yes, yes it is complete shiz :D
Clutch
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Clutch »

THATS IT. I'm quitting my job so I can party while I'm still young.
Boxed
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Word wrote:Beethoven wrote some of his best works when he was old and deaf. :wink:
Beethoven was also a compositional genius—an exceptional case, to be sure. (He also stopped actually playing once he went deaf, and contemplated suicide, sooo....) A better reference might have been to someone like Pete Townshend (for a famous rocker). Or, I recently came to know this fellow Joel Styzens, who deals with tinnitus and hyperacusis. (Albeit, these may be somewhat different cases—sinewav wasn't specific about his condition. Still, related, at least.)
whomever wrote:What's with that "atheist part" being in there?
Yeah, god forbid oratory or music contain anything that might ask of or cause you to think.

I have no real comment on the music. I'm not really into the "ambient" kind of stuff, so I'll just leave it be neutral. :)
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Phytotron wrote:sinewav wasn't specific about his condition.
I have a pretty strong case of tinnitus, but it's not as bad as stories I've heard. I have a mild case of hyperacusis, too.

I've always had trouble hearing, but a few months ago I realized how bad it was when I went to buy a pair of nearfield monitors at a music store. I was running test tones through them to check their range and was surprised when I couldn't hear 14kHz. I knew right then it was my ears and not the tweeters. Later I scheduled a hearing test. According to the physician, my biggest problem is that I can't really hear between 2-6khz. She says it is indicative of nerve damage, which I can pinpoint to a bad sinus infection a few years ago. But since my hearing was sketchy to begin with, this is probably just accelerating the inevitable.
Phytotron wrote:
whomever wrote:What's with that "atheist part" being in there?
Yeah, god forbid oratory or music contain anything that might ask of or cause you to think.
It's always so interesting how believers are shocked and appalled but such things. Yet, I have quite a few Christian bands in my music collection and I'm not phased at all when they sing about Jesus -- in the same way I'm not phased when DIO sings about magic and stuff.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

I totally take DIO seriously. Kate Bush, too.

Hmm, I don't think we have any Christian records in our collection. Of course there's the odd song here or there, found in some styles more than others (e.g., blues or bluegrass tunes based on gospel or hymnal standards, some classical pieces). Nothing wholly or predominantly Christian, though. No actual "Christian bands"—no DC Talk, heh.

Oh, well, I reckon you could, at least in part, count the amazing, unnerving 16 Horsepower. That music, entirely sincere (as far as anyone knows), puts to shame and renders comical any kind of metal or anything else that consciously tries to sound dark or sinister or "evil" or spooky. The imagery it invokes is Reverend Henry Kane territory. If The Jesus Lizard were making music 'round the turn of the century, and David Yow was a Nazarene preacher. Intense music, and always leaves me unsettled (in a good way) after listening to it. (I actually began this post late last night, but when I went looking for some other video selections I got sidetracked down the line of listening to all these songs. Then had to go sit on the back pine porch for awhile before hittin' the hay.)

A few more selections: I Seen What I Saw, Haw, Black Soul Choir, Heel on the Shovel.... Lots of live stuff on there, but I decided to go with the album versions and videos.

There's a weekly local public radio program that runs here on Sundays at 5AM called "Workin' on the Building," which is all old gospel soul recordings. (It follows the awesomely raucous, raucously awesome "Woody's Roadhouse.") I have a friend who was born and had lived most of her life out west and, consequently, was not familiar with that kind of music (or much historically black American music in general). I played her that show and the first thing she said was, "wow, had I heard this as a little girl I might not have left the church, if only to stay for the music."

On that other hand, that sort of sentiment turns when you hear or read someone express something like the following (found on a youtube commentary, but is quite commonly expressed):
Such a blessing to see these kids serving God at a young age! We got to keep raising training our children in the ways of God. Nothing else will do. I am so blessed by the performance. Much props to all who participated in working with these precious souls. It was well performed and I no it took a lot of work. But, what we do for God will last forever! God Bless!
That's incredibly disturbing to me.

EDIT: Just added another particularly dark tune.
Last edited by Phytotron on Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
ItzAcid
Match Winner

Post by ItzAcid »

@ Phytotron:

I'm only disturbed by the lack of correct usage of words and the use of "got". :P

Just because the ideas of a song may be atheistic doesn't mess the music up for me personally (me being a Christian ha). Some of the ideas are beautifully expressed. I don't listen to any songs that directly bash and ridicule my standing, but atheist ideas aren't disqualified just because of my beliefs :P. Example: Rufus Wainwright. Some of his stuff is borderline though :).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbO6P-_Zx0Y

Edit: I truly enjoyed your music sine :D. It was great and well thought out. I'd give it two thumbs up ;).
Won Tourneys/Competitions: WWG4 (Hmm, need more braggage like Durka)

Oo oO
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

You don't find the forced collective brainwashing of children disturbing? I think it's rather more like psychological and emotional child abuse. Like I said, god forbid children be given a broad education, taught reason, critical thinking, and (dare I speak it) the natural sciences, and be encouraged to think for themselves—without fear—and come to their own conclusions on belief. No, must "keep raising [and] training our children in the ways of God. Nothing else will do." Nothing else will do. Nothing else will do. Hallowed are the Ori.
ItzAcid
Match Winner

Post by ItzAcid »

No, I do find that disturbing. I was just having fun with the post and their lack of correct usage :) It's the extremists that give ordinary followers of any religion bad name, which is sickening. Children definitely deserve to hear every possible side. Bias is killer.

Oo oO
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

That quote is from an ordinary follower watching a recording of an ordinary children's gospel choir. This is an entirely commonplace mentality among religious folks (and no, not just in the black church).

(As for their "lack of correct usage of words," in this instance it's just dialect. Even I don't have much problem with it. That is, except for using "no" in place of "know"—that's torturous.)
ItzAcid
Match Winner

Post by ItzAcid »

Phytotron wrote: This is an entirely commonplace mentality among religious folks (and no, not just in the black church).
Debateable but understandable. I don't personally feel this way, and I consider myself commonplace :P However, it could be the majority in some areas. Haha @ the side comment.
Phytotron wrote:As for their "lack of correct usage of words," in this instance it's just dialect. Even I don't have much problem with it. That is, except for using "no" in place of "know"—that's torturous.)
Haha, it was the "no" that got me. I didn't pay attention to anything else until I read that :P. It made me think, "Hmm... what else could be wrong?".

Back to sine's music! :)

Oo oO
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

ItzAcid wrote:Back to sine's music! :)
No way! I have to take this at least one more level of digression! On the subject of the "got," I was reminded of the etymology of its usage. In some sense (if even only an arcane one), it could be construed as correct. Interesting and amusing to me, anyway. From the Separated by a Common Language blog:

irregular verbs: gotten, fit, knit

do you have/have you/have you got