World to end May 21st(this Saturday)

Anything About Anything...
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Re: World to end May 21st(this Saturday)

Post by Titanoboa »

Phytotron wrote:So, deflection aside, will you or won't you stand by those quotes as you do the ones you posted?
I'll say they're just as valid laws as, say, the sabbath.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Unsatisfactory answer.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

well, it's probably the same i tried to clarify with the "eye on an eye" example. these laws have to do with the circumstances they were made in, and they were useful. most people were poor and children were the default pension plan and the future soldiers of the tribe, so the women were supposed to care about them to guarantee everyone's existence. you don't even need to quote the bible to explain that feminists/"modern women" weren't regarded as a big help back then...
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

If it wasn't clear, other than the aside about reckless reproduction and dominion, this exchange is with Titanoboa.

And you're being worse about your edits than I am.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

I'm just a bit slow at 2.00 AM :P

and the "reckless reproduction" is again something you make out of it because you live in a time where the problem of overpopulation is more important than 2000 years ago where having many healthy children was only seen positively.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

Says you.

Dang, ran up against the character minimum.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

vogue wrote:
Titanoboa wrote: Homosexuality is a sin and like any other sin, it needs to be dealt with in the only way possible. It needs to be laid at the cross, repented of, and never done again.
I've lost all respect for you, tool.
Totally agree, sadly. Anyone ignorant enough to hold onto the belief that homosexuality is bad, especially in this day and age, gets a big, fat, ZERO on the respect_o_meter.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

Let me also add (as my last post of the night), that the "be fruitful and multiply" clause is also used as support for anti-gay bigotry, in the oft-repeated sloganeering form of "homosexuality is unnatural because it doesn't result in reproduction." (Or, more crudely, the "Adam and Steve" slogan.)

Which is additionally disturbing because, by this logic, these Christians believe the only purpose of entering into a pair bond, or marriage, is procreation. Certainly an objectionable view. (And, you know, "every sperm is sacred.")

But then it's also farcically amusing because, a) they commit a naturalistic fallacy (natural is moral, unnatural is immoral), when b) the basis for their morality is supposedly meant to be spiritual, not naturalistic (which is otherwise usually derided as pagan or otherwise ungodly). Strike on top of a strike. Strike squared.
Mecca
Match Winner

Post by Mecca »

Am I the only one that got the memo or something?

In one of my conversations with God a while back, he told me that all the anti-gay stuff was in the bible so that not everyone wanted to be gay.

He wanted to make sure that there was enough reproduction going on to keep us going until the whole end of the world thing that is supposed to happen in 2072. Yes, 2072. Apparently someone along the line had poor handwriting and the 7 got morphed into a 1.
Mecca
Match Winner

Post by Mecca »

Olive wrote:Image
Sorry for the double post, but QFT.
Cody <3
Match Winner

Post by Cody <3 »

Titanoboa wrote:Aww, I started writing a reply but halfway through I had to go play football. Now I have a lot more to respond to :D Oh well ^^

Code: Select all

Leviticus 11:7-8
And the pig, though it has a divided hoof, does not chew the cud; it is unclean for you. You must not eat their meat or touch their carcasses; they are unclean for you. 
Looks like I'll see you in hell Tit!

Seriously anyone who follows Leviticus Laws is an idiot.

Code: Select all

Leviticus 11:10
But all creatures in the seas or streams that do not have fins and scales—whether among all the swarming things or among all the other living creatures in the water—you are to regard as unclean. 
OMG NO MOAR RED LOBSTER?
NEW 1v1 Sumo SB Tournament SITE
http://1v1sb.weebly.com
Kijutsu
Match Winner

Post by Kijutsu »

Cody you noob, check your PM.
Cody <3
Match Winner

Post by Cody <3 »

vogue wrote:Cody you noob, check your PM.
I did, nothing there, did you send it to the Cody user?
NEW 1v1 Sumo SB Tournament SITE
http://1v1sb.weebly.com
Cody
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Cody »

/me is noob XD I forgot i had 2 accounts lululul I use this one too login cause cody <3@forums doesnt work lol
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

Your confusion is justified. It seems like the Old Testament laws have been an issue for Christians for a long time (although to me it seems like it's only a problem when non-christians quote them to invalidate the book as a whole). For it to make sense, the Old Testament has to be read through the light of the New Testament, through the light of Jesus Christ. Without Jesus and NT, OT will just seem like an unfulfilled book full of completely irrelevant text. And without OT, the things Jesus does in NT will seem like random nonsense at times. No, OT and NT fulfill eachother, and while it'd be very convenient to edit out the Laws of the Old Testament, they are there for a reason.
This is a subject that has loomed large in the history of interpretation. Whenever Christians become serious about applying the Word of God, the question always arises as to the principles for doing so. During the Protestant Reformation this was a particularly vital matter, since whole nations were reorganizing themselves according to their views of the Scripture.

A prime example of this took place in 1643, when the English Parliament called for “an assembly of learned and godly divines… for the settlement of the government and liturgy of the Church of England, and for the indicating and clearing of the doctrine of the said Church from false aspersions and interpretations.” The context for this was the English Civil War, the issue of which was the freedom of the people to be governed according to the Bible and not according to the king. So this issue before us was of singular importance to them.

The Westminster Confession, which is that body of learned divines produced, and which is our own doctrinal standard, deals with the Law of God in its 19th chapter. It specifies three categories of the Old Testament Law: the moral law, the ceremonial law, and the civil law. The moral law, that which represents God’s own moral character, is summarized in the Ten Commandments. These are forever binding, in both old and new covenants. The Confession puts it this way: “The moral law doth forever bind all, as well justified persons as others, to the obedience thereof” (WCF XIX. 5). In other words, the moral law as summarized in the Ten Commandments, but also emphasized in many other places of the Bible, is binding upon us today. Therefore, it is our duty to not worship no idols, to honor our mother and father, to bear no false testimony, etc.
The second category is the ceremonial law. These are, according to the Confession, “typical ordinances, partly of worship, prefiguring Christ” (WIW. 3). What this mainly refers to is the sacrificial system of the old covenant, although it also includes the whole cleanliness code including restrictions on food and the like. I have been preaching through the Book of Hebrews in the early service, and next week I will be preaching from one of the main passages that tells us how to think about such ceremonial laws. Heb. 10:1 tells us, “The law is only a shadow of the good things that are coming--not the realities themselves.” The context of Hebrews 9 and 10 makes very clear that it is the sacrifices he has in mind; it is the ceremonial law that is a shadow set aside when the reality comes, not the unchanging moral law of God.

This gets to the question about coming to see a minister when you have a boil. That regulation was wrapped up in the ceremonial law. It served to make a statement about sin, which corrupts the flesh, and the sacrifices the priest offered in that case very blatantly represented the saving work of Jesus Christ. The point here, however, is that the ceremonial law pointed forward to the work of Christ, which now has come so that they are set aside.
The third category is the civil law. These are the laws that represented the criminal code, with its procedures and punishments, as well as a myriad of regulations and restrictions. These would include the various capital crimes, like murder, adultery, and many other sins. The Westminster Confession describes them as “sundry judicial laws, which expired together with the state of that people; not obliging any other now, further than the general equity thereof may require” (XIX. 4). In other words, these laws were for regulating the nation of Israel, which was then but no longer is the particular people of God.