we're all going to die

Anything About Anything...
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: we're all going to die

Post by sinewav »

gawdzilla wrote:why everyone's fighting in this topic is beyond me
Although some of it is immaturity, I wonder, seriously now, if a lot of the angry venting stems from genuine frustration with the state of the world. Not "the world is a bad place and I hate you and everyone in it," but "there are a lot of big things going on and I'm not involved the way I'd like to be, that is, helping people overcome suffering."

I've been watching the world much closer than normal because, let's face it, there have been some serious global events unfolding over the last few days and weeks. After reading the news I find myself quite bothered, but it's because I feel helpless and confined; and that in turn makes me feel a little useless. No one likes to feel useless. I wonder how many of us look at the pictures of devastated Japan and think "I have food and water right here in my house, if only I could share it with these people, now."

I'm going to spend some time over the next few weeks looking into humanitarian aid organizations and see if there is a place for me in these systems. Maybe by helping others I can expunge my selfish desire to feel useful.

<deep thought />
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

These last few years we (as in humanity) as a global community have become increasingly aware of these types of events. I can't claim that as my own statement, but someone said it to me (or I read it somewhere) and I think I agree. The amount of communication going on is going up and with it our awareness.

So let's not be poking fun at Japan, but rather let's appreciate that nature is quite powerful. The environment is powerful. There is not a lot you can do about a 10 m wall of water. How we respond though can have almost as great an impact. Talking about doomsday (in my opinion) is superstition, and my reaction to this is maybe a bit bland. I don't plan to take any action, but I will be aware and I will be sympathetic because that's the least I can do.
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

Tank Program wrote:Talking about doomsday (in my opinion) is superstition,
As far as I've read, Jesus didn't encourage people to go crazy, but rather to stay calm & aware of what's going on to know what'll happen next. Revelations is a hard book to interpret, and I doubt the (physical) writer had a clue what most of the metaphors were about.

I mean look at this...
Revelation 11:8-10 wrote:Their bodies will lie in the public square of the great city—which is spiritually called Sodom and Egypt—where also their Lord was crucified. For three and a half days some from every people, tribe, language and nation will gaze on their bodies and refuse them burial. The inhabitants of the earth will gloat over them and will celebrate by sending each other gifts, because these two prophets had tormented those who live on the earth.
People who read this text, say 1500 years ago, or even 200 years ago, probably found it highly unlikely that everyone in the world would be able to see the same thing. Then came the TV (& later on, internet)...

Oh and this "Egypt" doesn't refer to the nation, so don't jump to conclusions.

So yeah "wah we're all gonna die" is probably not the proper way to react.. Or "Save yourselves!!! RUN!! gogogo GET A RELIGION BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!" (which would be superstition indeed)...
Just stay sane, well informed & aware.

(edit: fixed 8-10 to 11:8-10)
Last edited by Titanoboa on Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
apparition
Match Winner

Post by apparition »

Refreshing :)
Lord Pein
Round Winner

Post by Lord Pein »

sinewav wrote:
gawdzilla wrote:why everyone's fighting in this topic is beyond me
Although some of it is immaturity, I wonder, seriously now, if a lot of the angry venting stems from genuine frustration with the state of the world. Not "the world is a bad place and I hate you and everyone in it," but "there are a lot of big things going on and I'm not involved the way I'd like to be, that is, helping people overcome suffering."

I've been watching the world much closer than normal because, let's face it, there have been some serious global events unfolding over the last few days and weeks. After reading the news I find myself quite bothered, but it's because I feel helpless and confined; and that in turn makes me feel a little useless. No one likes to feel useless. I wonder how many of us look at the pictures of devastated Japan and think "I have food and water right here in my house, if only I could share it with these people, now."

I'm going to spend some time over the next few weeks looking into humanitarian aid organizations and see if there is a place for me in these systems. Maybe by helping others I can expunge my selfish desire to feel useful.

<deep thought />
More food for thought:

I read a short story last semester titled "The ones who walk away from Omelas" by Ursula K LeGuin. I suggest you read it.
http://i52.tinypic.com/11ipyet.png
Thursday July 22nd 2010: Airman's team beat Lizmatic's team in fortress.
DDMJ wrote:Good idea...but what if the arma player is Luke-jr :?
Cody <3
Match Winner

Post by Cody <3 »

03/10/11 < Japan tsunami
+
09/11/01 < americans die
=
12/21/12(end of the Mayan calender)

!
NEW 1v1 Sumo SB Tournament SITE
http://1v1sb.weebly.com
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Cody <3 wrote:03/10/11 < Japan tsunami
+
09/11/01 < americans die
=
12/21/12(end of the Mayan calender)

!
Coincidence unless you can show it's happened more than once.
Olive
Match Winner

Post by Olive »

haha cody,
good one.
Olive a.k.a ZeMu, MoonFlower & chicken.
theroze
Match Winner

Post by theroze »

I have recently experienced that nothing happens without a reason, and there's a lot to think about the 'End of the maya calendar' and all the natural disasters, especially the most recent one from Japan. I'm kind of split between the thoughts:
→ Is god trying to give us a hint that we (the humanity) have to change
our current attidute, that we can still 'save' the world.
OR
→ It's a foretaste about that, what is going to happen, to clarify that it's
not stoppable anymore.
apparition wrote:You being able to kill so many players that quickly and efficiently is evidence that the community skill level must be dropping... Sad :/
Reigning champion of: Sir-spam-a-lot 2011
syllabear
Shutout Match Winner

Post by syllabear »

Coincidence unless you remember that the japan earthquake happened on the 11th. I.e. 03/11/11 (in your rediculous date format)

Add it up and it doesn't result in the stupid mayan calander result.

Perhaps people should stop focusing on idiotic bullshit and more on the loss of life in Japan.
The Halley's comet of Armagetron.
ps I'm not tokoyami
dariv
Round Winner

Post by dariv »

syllabear wrote: Perhaps people should stop focusing on idiotic bullshit and more on the loss of life in Japan.
I kind of agree. Discussing a religious reason why two tectonic plates moved, meanwhile people are still suffering in pretty large numbers, it's not very pleasant. Don't be surprised if your pondering does not go down well with other people.

Imagine your house was flattened and then submerged in water with absolutely no warning.... I can't even begin to imagine what I'd do next.

http://www.redcross.org.uk/Donate-Now/M ... ami-Appeal
pLxDari - Challenge us!
Olive
Match Winner

Post by Olive »

i dont believe in god;
why would he bring most suffering to his most dedicated followers?

the poorest areas are often most religious.
Or one must state being poor is in their benefit, somehow.

No, I don't believe its a message from God, nor that the disaster is influenced by mankind untill any scientific evidence is given. Havent these disasters taken place throughout history? Only now we feel its effect. When we walked around with clubs there were earthquakes and tsunamis too. Was God sending the prehistorical-us a message too?
Olive a.k.a ZeMu, MoonFlower & chicken.
Lord Pein
Round Winner

Post by Lord Pein »

Olive wrote:i dont believe in god;
why would he bring most suffering to his most dedicated followers?
Lord Pein wrote:
More food for thought:

I read a short story last semester titled "The ones who walk away from Omelas" by Ursula K LeGuin. I suggest you read it.
http://i52.tinypic.com/11ipyet.png
Thursday July 22nd 2010: Airman's team beat Lizmatic's team in fortress.
DDMJ wrote:Good idea...but what if the arma player is Luke-jr :?
chrisd
Round Winner

Post by chrisd »

All the talking about the destruction of the world and so on is the infantile version of religion. For religion to actually have any effect, it must be about being connected lovingly to the Ground of all Being. This is done by radically choosing love over fear. There is much fear in all the talk about destruction. That is what leads to the dark side. This is the same with all the talk about sin in Christianity, by the way. It shows that mainstream Christianity has rendered itself ineffective by having large amounts of darkness in the mix.
Outside Corner Grinder

Post by 2020 »

we are kacking in our own house in the kitchen
many problems result from this...
and we can talk about it
we can pray to god
we can do many things
but
it may be sensible stop kacking in the kitchen

that is
inhibiting individual behaviour that results in social disorder
and even
investing in behaviour that prevents the problems from arising in the first place

we are going to see much much worse
imho
hold the line