Do you really care about littering?

Anything About Anything...
Lord Pein
Round Winner

Do you really care about littering?

Post by Lord Pein »

We all hate littering; but do you really care? Do you go out of your way to help make earth a cleaner place? Do you go out of your way to try to save the environment? Hmm?

Discuss.
Last edited by Lord Pein on Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://i52.tinypic.com/11ipyet.png
Thursday July 22nd 2010: Airman's team beat Lizmatic's team in fortress.
DDMJ wrote:Good idea...but what if the arma player is Luke-jr :?
MrsKsr
Shutout Match Winner

Re: Do you really care?

Post by MrsKsr »

On a grand scale I don't do very much, quite impossible for a nobody 19 year old from Europe, but I do pickup litter from the floor and scold people for dropping litter, aside from that Idk what else I could do. I quite like Canada's approach though, in some places you can be fined something like $500 for littering. Pretty sweet deterrent.
"You may say I'm a dreamer but I'm not the only one;
I hope some day you will join us, and the world can live as one"

“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.”

I believe that to truly love is the ultimate expression of the will to live.
Slov
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Slov »

can't say I "really" care, I still sleep with lights turned on.. not very green :P
.pG (only like, the best clan ever)

my mixtape fire tho
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Yes. We avoid garbage where we can (buy unpackaged vegetables, for example) and properly split and recycle where we can't, we never ever leave junk in parks. And I give people who litter a friendly reminder not to. Or yell at them. They probably think I'm crazy, but I don't care.

And yeah, in other areas, we try to be as eco-friendly as feasible. No compromises on home electronics, though, apart from separating what we have from the net completely when it's unused.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

I pickup litter from the floor as well but since I found out that splitting garbage is pointless in Germany (the waste is mixed again when it's thrown in the dustcart, they split it on the scrap heap's conveyor belts) I don't do that anymore. We have one of the most innovative dumping grounds here.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Seeing someone litter is one of the few things that make me lose my temper.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Word: Yeah, they do that in most places, but by separating them, you avoid cross-contamination and increase the value for recycling. I don't think paper soaked with kitchen waste for a week is as usable as pure paper.
INW
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by INW »

sinewav wrote:Seeing someone litter is one of the few things that make me lose my temper.
Especially when they are within throwing distance of a trash can...

Pisses me off. I don't litter.
apparition
Match Winner

Post by apparition »

I absolutely hate cigarettes and the people that just toss them on the ground. Seriously, stop being so stinky and careless, smokers.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

chewing gums/dog turd is worse when you step in it :skull:

I still split paper but we don't have to do that with plastic/residual waste anymore.
FFIIXXIITT
Match Winner

Post by FFIIXXIITT »

I don't really care; the generations that came before us did some substantial damage that will not be reversible while the people in charge are soooo worried about profits and sustaining their riches. We should just hope that god has a plan for all that trash.
Van-hayes
Round Winner

Post by Van-hayes »

We have a compost/trash system here, 1 week it is trash bags the next is the green bin for compost. You don't have to take part in it, but your trash will just sit there for 2 weeks. We have a pretty decent recycling program too with big blue bins in town for cardboard/plastics/bottles and a bottle depot if you want to collect the deposit. Also, when smoking I put my butt in a trashcan/ashtray or throw it back in the pack if there is no trashcan near me.

The thing that pisses me off the most is the fast food bags thrown out the windows of cars and onto the roads.
You've gone too far, turn back!
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Van-hayes wrote:The thing that pisses me off the most is the fast food bags thrown out the windows of cars and onto the roads.
Yes. That makes me rage big time. The pinnacle of self-centered ignorance.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

I almost got hit on my bike the other day by someone tossing a cup out the window. Then, at a stoplight, I saw a coffee cup rolling around on somebody's roof, where they'd obviously set it on top of the car and forgot about it.

Really, my car is trashed most of the time in part because I won't throw trash out the window (and obviously in part because I forget to remove it from the car when I get to my destination).

Truthfully, though, in this day and age, litter is probably the least of our environmental concerns. Sure, once upon a time it was a serious problem, but it's been curbed quite a bit over the last 50 years. You'd do more to help by using the recycling bins when they're there, and looking at other things you could be doing, like, I don't know, riding a bicycle instead of driving. If everybody in America either rode a bike or took public transportation once a week for their commute to work, we'd be able to almost completely eliminate our use of foreign fossil fuels. And that means a substantially decreased investment in meddling in foreign governments to get favorable oil trading deals, which would have ripple effects throughout the economy (some of them bad, some of them good) and environment due to decreased production of many things (bullets, guns, tanks, etc.).

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Keep America Beautiful Announces Results of Nation's Largest Study of Litter and Littering Behavior

litterbug.jpg
litterbug.jpg (17.96 KiB) Viewed 2719 times
Brightside.jpg

A "green" lifestyle is a virtuous one. Reject consumerism.