Do you really care about littering?

Anything About Anything...
gawdzilla
Liz of the many names

Re: Do you really care about littering?

Post by gawdzilla »

I was being honest, I don't care. Did you want me to lie or..?

chrisd
Round Winner

Post by chrisd »

Phytotron wrote:And is anyone shocked by Liz's response?
I might consider being shocked by Liz' response, if you could convince me that doing such is pleasurable and/or that my shockedness at Liz' response would contribute to the saving of the world. It seems rather obvious that neither good reason for shockedness is true, so I prefer not to be shocked.

Lucifer
Project Developer & Local Moonshiner

Post by Lucifer »

chrisd wrote: Since I am vegetarian, I automatically do not pollute as much as my animal corpse-loving fellow human beings. On the other hand, I really like standing under the hot shower for a long time.
That's not entirely true. I've seen plenty of vegetarians throw trash on the ground. Also, vegetarians can only eat food from arable land. Meat-eaters can eat food grown on land that's otherwise useless. :)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden

Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Except those animals still need to be fed food (however low quality it may be) that's...grown on arable land, in excess of that necessary for humans. And the resulting pollution, poorly regulated, from that "otherwise useless" land is immense. Not exactly neutral impact.

http://www.nrdc.org/water/pollution/nspills.asp
http://www.nrdc.org/water/pollution/ffarms.asp
(Yes, I'm citing the NRDC.)

chrisd
Round Winner

Post by chrisd »

Phytotron is right. Eating plants is easily an order of magnitude better for the environment than eating animals. The food for the animals needs to be harvested, transported, processed and so on. First turning the plants into animal and then into human is a very inefficient process. One needs at a minimum ten times more plant to feed humans this way. Besides, factory farming is a major source of diseases nowadays. Bird flu, anyone? Also, this is not the only disease that is spread more easily because of factory farming. The hidden costs of factory farming are paid via our health insurance bill.

apparition
Match Winner

Post by apparition »

So I threw a banana peel into a bush on my way into work this morning. Littering?

Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Not if you can assume not several other people per day choose to do the same at the exact same bush. A single banana peel rots quickly enough to be invisible, but you still don't want to create a wild compost heap.

apparition
Match Winner

Post by apparition »

Should I have thrown it in the gutter on the side of the road instead of whipping that sucker even further onto the bush then?

sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

I feel like that class of litter, the stuff that is immediate food for something else, is much more tolerable and as long as it is out of site I have no real problem with it. Litter it is, but a single, mostly-eaten piece of fruit will usually be devoured by animals within a day or two.

apparition
Match Winner

Post by apparition »

Cool. Cuz I throw apple cores, banana peels, pits, seeds, etc. all over the place. Just not where people walk, play, ride bikes, etc.