The Stupid Questions Thread!

Anything About Anything...
INW
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Re: The Stupid Questions Thread!

Post by INW »

Mkay1 wrote:@Jonathan: I get lots of views by the ladies, or were you talking about the avatar? If so, then 9001 per month.
Wow, that's more than 9000!
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Hear me now and believe me later: A quick search for "snow zombie" was fruitful in producing not only zombies in the snow, but Nazi zombies in the snow. And not only Nazi zombies in the snow, but Nazi zombies in the snow accompanied by butt RAWK and chainsaws. Only thing it's missing are flame throwers, but maybe that's just not in the trailer. Dead Snow (trailer)

Also found this stupid Arctic Zombies flash game, complete with butt rock.

And I suppose if The Walking Dead continues to be successful, it'll eventually reach winter time and we'll see some zombies in the snow.

Tank Program wrote:Which makes me wonder, how do zombies hide in a snow environment?
Wait, since when did zombies hide?
apparition
Match Winner

Post by apparition »

Holy shit Dead Snow looks amazing. Wonder if it's on Netflix Instant...

EDIT: YES IT IS!
Clutch
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Clutch »

For some reason, I never get tired of zombie-killing action movies :D
Boxed
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

You've found some interesting things there, Phytotron.
Phytotron wrote:Wait, since when did zombies hide?
Well, they're hardly as scary if you can see them coming, aren't they? I'd generally say their hiding is achieved simply by being in the dark. I was thinking bright, bright, daylight. Hiding in the dark doesn't quite work then.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Right, darkness and shadows provide a creepier and more ominous atmosphere. But...

Don't you always see them coming? I mean, they ain't exactly sneaky. They're usually portrayed as brain-dead (har!) and lurching around. The terrifying thing about zombies isn't that they hide and pop out at you unexpectedly. Rather, it's the sheer, overwhelming numbers and relentlessness of them. It's the fact that you can see them coming, but there ain't a damn thing you can do about it!

Hmm, also recall the opening scene in the original Night of the Living Dead. Pretty scary, and in stark daylight. But, yeah, after that it got better.

By the way, I'm not including some of the goofier schlock zombie flicks. I'm not even familiar with those. Yeah, generally speaking, when zombies move from the dark to the light it goes from being scary to just plain explicit gore.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Re: The wtf is your avatar/signature thread.

Post by Phytotron »

apparition wrote:Z-man wtf is your avatar? [etc.]
Heh, I was searching for something else when I happened to stumble upon this:
Z-Man wrote:It's a ferocious beaver taking a digestive nap after devouring some people who asked stupid questions :)
original post; followup with another drawring
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

Just goes to show how much I know about horror, which is practically zip. You're right about the relentlessness, but for some reason I never think of it that way. I've probably been affected by the ways newer media treats them. In computer games, there are generally never too many zombies - otherwise the player couldn't win. And in some of the books I've read they've even been portrayed as essentially human. It's more like a knowledge that zombies ought to be scary rather than an actual fear, which probably goes back to me not being a horror person.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

Yeah, I'm nothing approaching an aficionado, either. (Or, especially, one of these pirates/robots/ninjas/zombies are k00l! kids.) I've probably only seen a handful of movies—Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Return of the Living Dead, Sean of the Dead, heh—and don't think I've ever read anything involving zombies. I did follow that Walking Dead series, though, and plan to continue the next season.
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

I can't actually, now that I think about it, watching any zombie horror films. I can think of maybe two books with zombies in them, but that begs the question then. How exactly did I learn about zombies? Obviously I know them from somewhere. Argh. I'm pretty sure the knowledge pre-dates high-school. I begin to suspect some VHS rental or made for TV movie or something, but it's not impossible that it was in a book. I've always been a voracious reader. Can anyone else (my age, or any age I suppose) remember where they first encountered zombies?
Clutch
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Clutch »

Huh. Odd. I can't remember either O.o The earliest memory I have of zombies is playing Left 4 dead, but that only came out a couple of years ago..I know I've known about them for longer then that o.o
Boxed
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

Well, zombies are just part of common cultural mythology nowadays. It's like trying to pinpoint when you first learned about werewolves, vampires, unicorns, goblins, fairies, or aliens. (Or god.)

The modern concept probably gained its most widespread popular familiarity and became cemented following Night of the Living Dead (1968). But I know people were aware of the voodoo-related and other concepts of zombies, or zombie-like beings, prior to that.

The Wikipedia page on zombies has a whole history on the subject, beginning with its roots in voodoo, then tracing the concept in popular culture. "The Undead, hungry for human blood, or flesh, have been found in the earliest surviving literature. Appearing as long ago as The Epic of Gilgamesh (2150-2000 BCE)."
Clutch
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Clutch »

Phytotron wrote:(Or god.)
Shitstorm incoming
Boxed
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

Why? Are you trying to start one? What was the purpose of that?

There's no need for it. There's nothing controversial about that statement.
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

I can't think of when I first heard about any of those. Werewolves I'm almost certain was through a book though, and I think vampires as well. Aliens I'm pretty sure was a movie. I seem to remember some Goosebumps books and Animorphs books. I think there was also a Goosebumps TV series. Might actually have been cartoons for some of this stuff.