What are you listening to right now?

Anything About Anything...
Slov
Shutout Match Winner

Re: What are you listening to right now?

Post by Slov »

sinewav wrote:Listening to that new Frank Ocean album, "Endless." Can't find a link to a stream, but if you can get a copy of it and "Blonde," do it. Good stuff man.
it's awesome. maybe too soft at some points for my taste but Pink + White is a 10/10 song
.pG (only like, the best clan ever)

my mixtape fire tho
Clutch
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Clutch »

Boxed
Clutch
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Clutch »

Sorry for double post.
**** you 2016, seriously. RIP Leonard Cohen, a great Canadian. Hallelujah
Boxed
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

I really like the soundtrack and the atmosphere of this game called Virginia, and more recently, I watched Westworld and Stranger Things and listened to those shows' soundtracks a lot. It's no secret that these shows are great, but I'd still recommend them to everyone who hasn't watched them yet (I'm aware of the fact that the Westworld soundtrack consists mostly of cover versions - with the exception of "Paint it black", I like these new versions more than the original songs).
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

I'm not sure about whether or not I should watch Westworld. I'm so much a fan of the original movie that I'm naturally concerned they're going to **** it up in the TV show. But the movie, man, it's one of my favorite movies, and I first saw it when I was like 10, on one of those Saturday matinee movie programs on TV.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Word

Post by Word »

It's also one of my favourite movies (I was about 12 when I saw it for the first time) and the new show sometimes alludes to it, either in the form of smaller easter eggs (in 1973 there was an accident, a few years after the park opened, and the current owner is a corporation named Delos, but there are much more, even in the soundtrack), or certain characters that seem to have been carried over from the first film (perhaps one of the next seasons borrows from the sequel more heavily). However, the looks, names and clothes of these characters don't really give anything away and those allusions aren't just there for the sake of it, they serve two purposes - firstly they play with the expectations of people who know the films (which is why I'd recommend to watch the old films before watching the new show - apart from the fact that they're fun in their own right, it enriches the experience a little and you're in for more surprises when you think you know where it's going - I feel like this show was made exclusively for wiseacres like myself), and secondly, for the most part they are really part of the story or to be understood as metaphors. The show is much more sophisticated than the film (a certain maze plays a crucial role), both in dialogue and the overall complexity of the story.

The biggest difference is that in both Westworld and Futureworld the audience was supposed to root for the humans, not so much the robots, who were nothing more than simple killing machines without real consciousness, and the cause for their rebellion is a simple malfunction. The tv show keeps the audience guessing lots of things, e.g. about the park's inhabitants: Who is conscious/human/a robot/follows a pre-programmed loop or acts in a certain way because of somebody else's manipulation and what is their respective secret agenda?

At the beginning, you'll probably be confused - the show needed quite a lot of time to make me grasp how time and flashbacks are used, but that's not uncommon in something with the name Nolan on it, and those time jumps made perfect sense in retrospect. Also, Anthony Hopkins and Ed Harris seem to have had a lot of fun playing their part in it.

I've read a few articles on the show, including this one, and an interview where Jonathan Nolan said he played lots of GTA and Assassin's Creed, and Westworld is often compared to a rich man's fantasy MMORPG. It only just occured to me, but another film that makes a similar case for treating NPCs with dignity happens to be the original Tron film; and I just realized how the sequel was a disappointment for me in part because it didn't really address that very theme (perhaps there's something worthwile in here for Armagetron's story mode?) and instead focused on action set pieces.

I'm sure you'll love it. The final episode actually made me weep a little, for at least six different reasons.
Word

Post by Word »

Clutch
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Clutch »

What Am I To You from Adventure Time. Catchy as hell. Skip to 50 for just the song.
Boxed
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Clutch wrote:Catchy as hell.
The music production in that series is great, and not just segments like that, but the whole soundtrack. Quite inspirational to me. Lots of unique sounds and instrumentation.
Clutch
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Clutch »

That's for sure, the soundtrack is just great. I'm assuming you're a Marceline fan :wink: I've mentioned it before, but you should check out Steven Universe if you haven't already.

One more for funsies, I Remember You. To the other 3 people on this forum: this song is a massive Adventure Time spoiler, click at your discretion
Boxed
Word

Post by Word »

sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Really neat project. I don't have time to go through the whole thing but I'm glad I learned of it. Thanks for sharing.
Word

Post by Word »

You're welcome. Her supporting band on that album, The Big Moon, isn't bad without her either, I listened to them on Spotify just today.
Clutch
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Clutch »

Scared - The Tragically Hip

Slightly late, but RIP Gord.
Boxed