What are you listening to right now?

Anything About Anything...
Hoax
Shutout Match Winner

Re: What are you listening to right now?

Post by Hoax »

Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Clutch wrote:Otherside - RHCP
As a buddy of mine and I say, there's Red Hot Chili Peppers, and then there's RHCP.
Clutch
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Clutch »

Probably going to regret this but I have to ask...why?
Boxed
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Clutch wrote:Probably going to regret this but I have to ask...why?
The same reason fans of any long lasting band are divided. There are three stages a band goes through: the endearing early recordings, the maturation of the band's songwriting, and eventually the point where they start to become a parody of themselves. Ask older metal-heads which was the last Metallica album. Most will say the "Black Album." Some will say it was "...And Justice For All" (RIP CLIFF). Also, Van Halen's last album is 1984 to me, but strangely, I have a friend who is one year older and likes the 5150+ albums better. What a weirdo.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers were, "back in the day," pretty radical. They were a post-punk bank who did a lot of genre mashing. The songwriting was ingenious at times, garbage at others -- but that is expected when exploring new territory. I used to dig them in the 80's, often stealing my sister's "Uplift MoFo Party Plan" cassette and listening to it in my beat up Chevy Nova on the way to school (why did she even have this tape? I think is was an ex-boyfriend's or something). Anyway, the early Chili Peppers' stuff was good fun. But by the time "Mother's Milk" came out something was different. It had some good songs but the music and production was changing. I lost interest before the release of "Blood Sugar Sex Magik" and then the band went on to huge popular success, headlining Lalapalooza in '92 (I think it was '92. I was there and left during their set after my whore girlfriend... well I won't get into it...).

Anyway, there is a whole generation of RHCP fans who are eating up the garbage they put out and wouldn't, or should I say couldn't, get into their early stuff because there is some context missing. I guess you just "had to be there."

:P And thus I fulfill the role of old music snob once again!
Clutch
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Clutch »

-edit-

I'm an idiot :oops:
Last edited by Clutch on Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boxed
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Clutch wrote:Sorry I was born in the wrong time
Nah, it doesn't really matter. You should like music because you like it. We all get turned on to music for different reasons and even then your tastes will likely change. There are some bands I like today that I didn't when I first heard them and other bands I thought were great whose music no longer inspires me. I'm also guilty of enjoying some pretty bad pop music. However, these is still a cultural thing going on with certain music styles that binds cohorts together. This is part of the reason parents usually hate the music their kids listen to. But there are always exceptions. I used to play in a band with a drummer who almost exclusively listened to classic rock, like the Doors and Led Zeppelin -- all bands that broke up before he was even born. I think the only "newer" group he liked was Rage Against The Machine. I was in a band with this guy for over a decade and his music taste was never a problem musically or personally. It just doesn't matter (much).

Also, I love the Doobie Brothers, Steve Miller Band, and Fleetwood Mac. Not exactly the music of my generation, haha.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

Mecca
Match Winner

Post by Mecca »

wap
Round Winner

Post by wap »

Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

sinewav wrote:eventually the point where they start to become a parody of themselves.
Except, they aren't really a parody of themselves. They're just boring, bland, vanilla commercial pop now. I'll never begrudge a band for changing its sound, being one of those "fuh, what happened to these guys?" guys, but I will begrudge a band for sucking. Those first three albums with Hillel is where it's at, and the half of BSSM that sounds like Hillel could've written it (mind-boggling in light of what we now know of John, musically), along with Subway to Venus. Hillel was that band. They were like P-Funk's dumbass white stepchildren with him.

Also, "...and Justice for All." Duh. Though I find all of it pretty boring these days. "Hey guys, let's play in E, OK?"
Clutch wrote:Sorry I was born in the wrong time
That don't make no sense, son. If you're only listening to music that came after your birth, you're doing it wrong. And if you're listening to anything that preceded your birth, but you're not bothering to learn and understand the context of it, you're also doing it wrong.
Word wrote:Adrian Belew
That most promising young Kentuckian!
Clutch
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Clutch »

Errr yeah I honestly don't remember what I was trying to get across with that comment. Pretty sure I was just being a sarcastic douche, since 90 percent of my music is from before my time, as even this thread could probably prove. Please spare me
Boxed
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

North Korean Children Playing The Guitar

You just know there's gonna be documentaries about this in a few decades and we'll find out with what methods they were taught, and I'm not looking forward to it.

:/
saragei
Core Dumper

Post by saragei »

Jethro Tull -- Thick as a Brick
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CPqcZGLsmU
Never trust a species that grins all the time. It’s up to something. —Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
Warum sage ich überhaupt was? Das ist, als würde man seinem Navi widersprechen —Bernd das Brot, Kika-Lounge
TheWizard

Post by TheWizard »

3 songs I've been listening atm :)
Kyuss - Hurricane
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKc5hZxNwps)

Aphex Twin - Window licker
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FATTzbm78cc)

Dead Prez - Hip Hop
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jNyr6BJZuI)
Clutch
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Clutch »

J.D. McPherson - North Side Gal

I want to try an upright bass so bad..
Boxed