What are you listening to right now?

Anything About Anything...
Vogue
Match Winner

Re: What are you listening to right now?

Post by Vogue »

I listen to music literally all day long, so I may need a more durable turntable. Can't say I want to spend more than $200, but if it can't be helped I'll probably save up for it. Been trying to read up on how connecting a turntable to speakers would work, but it all looks very difficult and intimidating... :/

sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Ok, here you go: Dual DTJ 301 USB (also comes in black, model 301.1, and slightly more expensive)

If you tell me what kind of speakers you have I can explain how to hook it up.

Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon. Not as cheap, but worth the extra coin, and still budget value where quality/audiophile turntables are concerned. "Entry-level audiophile," I guess you could say. The 'Phono USB' version comes with a built-in preamp with RCA outs if your receiver (if you even have one) doesn't have a phono input, and makes for easy transfer into your computer. You do have a stereo receiver, don't you?

I say belt drive. DD is for DJ's spinning records. But at the low end price range you're looking at (which would exclude the above turntable), audio quality isn't really your priority, so I guess it doesn't make much difference.

Slov wrote:how heaven sounds like
Again with the massive superlative over something incredibly inferior.
sinewav wrote:The shitty compressor they used over the track totally ruins anything that might have been good about it.
Nah, the fact that, as far as I can tell, 90+% of it is ripped off is what ruins it.

sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Phytotron wrote:Pro-Ject Debut Carbon.
Sleek!

Vogue
Match Winner

Post by Vogue »

Thanks, Sinewav. It won't come as a surprise when I say that I don't have a stereo receiver.......... also don't have any speakers yet, only some logitech ones for my PC. I'll have to buy those as well.

sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Vogue wrote:...also don't have any speakers yet, only some logitech ones for my PC.
You can hook the turntable to those. What model Logitech?

Vogue
Match Winner

Post by Vogue »

sinewav wrote:
Vogue wrote:...also don't have any speakers yet, only some logitech ones for my PC.
You can hook the turntable to those. What model Logitech?
Logitech X-230 I want new ones, though. Had these for years now.

Buying the turntable you suggested at the end of the month. :D I'm pretty excited.

sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Vogue wrote:Logitech X-230
The best way to hook up this turntable is through your computer. Once you attach a USB cable to an open port it will show up as a sound device. Simply choose this device for recording in your OS' audio properties (and change it back when you want to listen to iTunes, etc...).

A second option is to plug the speakers into the turntable's RCA outputs using an adapter cable such as this: 2 x RCA Male, 1 x 3.5mm Stereo Female, Y-Cable. Of course, this means unhooking your speakers from the back of your computer every time you want to listen to records, which is a work.

A third option is to get a switch box (cheap) or a small mixer (expensive) and hook both the turntable and computer up to it. This is probably way more complicated than you need. And if you plan to buy new speakers in the future you can just have one set for your computer and one for the turntable.

EDIT: Changed "playback" to "recording"
Last edited by sinewav on Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vogue
Match Winner

Post by Vogue »

So if I understand correctly, plugging it in via usb (to pc) is the easiest method?

sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Vogue wrote:So if I understand correctly, plugging it in via usb (to pc) is the easiest method?
Yup. Just play records through your computer right to the speaker. Since I don't own a USB turntable or Windows 7 I have never done this, but I will try it at work this week and see if I can get some screenshots for you. Even if it doesn't work, there are still 2 more ways to use the deck with your speakers. You will be listening to records soon.

Slov
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Slov »

.pG (only like, the best clan ever)

my mixtape fire tho

sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

sinewav wrote:Since I don't own a USB turntable or Windows 7 I have never done this, but I will try it at work this week and see if I can get some screenshots for you.
It works exactly as I expected. After Windows recognized the device and installs the correct drivers, right-click the audio widget in your taskbar and open the properties.

In the playback tab, choose the soundcard connected to your speakers. This is the one you normally use. You might even look at the name before you hook up the turntable just to be sure. Do not use the USB Turntable as playback because you won't hear any sound. This makes sense if you think about it.

In the recording tab, choose the USB Turntable and edit the properties. Check the "Listen" box, then select your playback device from the drop-down menu.

Windows might be able to manage this automatically so you don't have to set it up every time. I didn't test that. Also, some soundcards might not allow play through, but this is rare and I think most of this is done through software anyway.

Let me know if you have any trouble.
Attachments
usbtt-record.jpg
usbtt-playback.jpg

Slov
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Slov »

just realised I made this topic almost 4 years ago :o time flies..
also scrolled through some of the pages at the beginning.. good times lol

Band of Horses - The Funeral

listened to this song a lot in spring when I had a bunch of exams to pass and when stress level was at the all time high. now every time I listen to it now, I get that bad feeling in my stomach back, just like the one I had at that time lol. music sure has amazing powers..
.pG (only like, the best clan ever)

my mixtape fire tho

wap
Round Winner

Post by wap »

My grandpa always used to listen to this kind of music, so I immediately recognized it when I heard it some time ago. I like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnFfKbxIHD0

Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

Vogue wrote:Thanks, Sinewav. It won't come as a surprise when I say that I don't have a stereo receiver.......... also don't have any speakers yet, only some logitech ones for my PC. I'll have to buy those as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPVas43rfUE

I bought these (spontaneously in the store, didn't check any reviews of anything before I went) per recommendation of the dude who worked there, and they are so good for that price. (32.6 euro). The review isn't really satisfactory imo (1.I turned up the bass to almost max.. --> 2.it might be a little bass-heavy) but he's right that it works great for movie-watching as well as listening to music. (Great, clear mid for jazz, and good bass for your type of music :) )
I haven't maxed the volume yet, cuz I just moved and neighbors, but it gets loud if you want it to.

I haven't opened the sub myself, but I think all you'll need is a screwdriver and a pair of brains to customize it to your needs.