What are you listening to right now?

Anything About Anything...
þsy
Match Winner

Re: What are you listening to right now?

Post by þsy »

Whaaa! First of all Word, I didn't try and provoke Phyto - I was interested to see what he thought of my unusual music project, that's all...

And I don't want to voice any negativity, but it should be said that some people are being very dismissive of other's opinions about music. It's all down to taste, so stop belittling people and the music they like!

And sine.wav: how dare you criticise a non-native English speaker on his English! Perhaps you'd care to reply to Slov's comments in Slovenian? Make sure you don't make any mistakes!
Last edited by þsy on Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Slov
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Slov »

edit: sry double post..
Last edited by Slov on Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
.pG (only like, the best clan ever)

my mixtape fire tho
Slov
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Slov »

or am i doing it on purpose

my mixtape fire tho
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

þsy wrote:And sine.wav: how dare you criticise a non-native English speaker on his English!
Right, because proper spelling, capitalization, and punctuation are inherent to the English language. :roll:
Slov
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Slov »

nah it's not about music I never cared about that, it's just that phyto get's away with insulting people randomly (I wasn't offended by his last post here, but remember some other topics..)
im outta here tho

my mixtape fire tho
þsy
Match Winner

Post by þsy »

Besides picking on his use of English, why does he need to punctuate and spell correctly? And laughing because he can't read long paragraphs (which he can, I should add)... nice 1 !
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

þsy wrote:...why does he need to punctuate and spell correctly?
Because it shows a commitment to communication, which is the vehicle of knowledge. When people don't take the time to express their ideas properly it says, "my ideas aren't really worth much because I don't present them in ways to be understood." It shows ignorance, selfishness, and laziness.

Imagine you meet a very pretty girl, but she has every manner of disgusting habit you can imagine. Very quickly you might think, "I don't care how pretty she is if I'm sickened by her behavior and embarrassed to be with her." That's what poor writing does to ideas (though in this case, Slov's ideas are bad too). And it's obvious he's not making the errors commonly associated with non-native speakers. That would be excusable.

But hey, if you want to stick up for your buddy when he's clearly causing trouble that's fine by me. I'm sure everyone will still respect you. You're the nicest player in Tron.
þsy
Match Winner

Post by þsy »

I'm not saying I support what Slov said - I just feel it's a bit of a low blow to comment on someone's English, that's all :)

But let's get this discussion back on track, right now I am listening to Nick Drake, it is bliss
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

Yeah, I like Nick Drake as well, especially "Day is Done".
fingerbib
Core Dumper

Post by fingerbib »

he said.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

þsy wrote:And I don't want to voice any negativity, but it should be said that some people are being very dismissive of other's opinions about music. It's all down to taste, so stop belittling people and the music they like!
Oh, drop the postmodernistic relativism. Music, like any other art form, is open to critique. And a lot of it is mindless, entertainment garbage, whether some people, even most people, like it or not. A person has every right to say "that sucks" as they do to say "OMG dat wuz teh awsum!!!!"

Even if you wanted to claim relativism, I would think that, too, would validate the right of someone to belittle or be dismissive of another person's taste. After all, who are you to tell me I'm wrong, huh? Don't be so negative!

You see, by castigating Person A for being "very dismissive of [Person B]'s opinions about music," you are in fact yourself being dismissive of Person A's opinions about music, aren't you? By castigating Person A for belittling Person B's tastes, you are in fact belittling Person A's tastes. See how that works?

Opinions are not sacrosanct. If they're all of equal validity, they're all equally meaningless. This is why postmodernism/relativism is useless.

Besides all that, all of you—all of you—make negative judgements and comments all the time, including insults. Stop trying to pretend like mean old Phytotron is the only one who does it. The only real difference is you all tend to agree with one another.

þsy wrote:I'm not saying I support what Slov said - I just feel it's a bit of a low blow to comment on someone's English, that's all :)
sinewav wrote:It's obvious he's not making the errors commonly associated with non-native speakers. That would be excusable.
There are a lot of other people on this forum who speak english as a second language and make mistakes; we don't get on them—not in a castigating manner, anyway. Plenty of examples of this.

Hilarious.

[Not hardcore, but maybe that's the point. Hardcore has gone to shit, beginning about 20 years ago. "Get your two-step on"—I just now had to look that up; I had no idea "two-step" had gone from country-western to a hardcore dance step. The very idea of a hardcore dance step is ridiculous.]
Last edited by Phytotron on Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

promo for the "this is spinal tap" sequel :)
fingerbib
Core Dumper

Post by fingerbib »

Word wrote:
promo for the "this is spinal tap" sequel :)
Hahaha, very good ;-P

Phyto, It wasn't meant to be taken quite so seriously.
he said.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Did you miss the "Hilarious?" You people. :roll:
fingerbib
Core Dumper

Post by fingerbib »

Phytotron wrote:Did you miss the "Hilarious?" You people. :roll:
Got to admit, I read that as so deadpan I thought you hated it.
he said.