BitCoins!

Anything About Anything...
Luke-Jr
Dr Z Level

BitCoins!

Post by Luke-Jr »

Neat new crypto-currency: http://www.bitcoin.org/

And yes, I accept it for hosting payments... ;)
Concord
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Re: BitCoins!

Post by Concord »

it's basically like every other form of currency. I mean a dollar bill doesn't have much more intrinsic value than a little piece of data.
Luke-Jr
Dr Z Level

Post by Luke-Jr »

Concord wrote:it's basically like every other form of currency. I mean a dollar bill doesn't have much more intrinsic value than a little piece of data.
Except governments (really a bank) print dollar bills, creating inflation. There can never be more than 21mil BitCoin, so inflation is non-existent once those 21mil exist.
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

Before anyone mentions it, the FAQ said bitcoins can be split in 10^8. That means 21 million isn't as small as it sounds.

I wonder how this will hold up.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Hoax
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Hoax »

Luke-Jr wrote:
Concord wrote:it's basically like every other form of currency. I mean a dollar bill doesn't have much more intrinsic value than a little piece of data.
Except governments (really a bank) print dollar bills, creating inflation. There can never be more than 21mil BitCoin, so inflation is non-existent once those 21mil exist.
Ignorant theory as there are many things that affect an inflation rate
syllabear
Shutout Match Winner

Post by syllabear »

If you go by the monetarist view of things, the formula to denote inflation is

P = (MxV)/Q

If what is said is true, M is constant since there is no increase in quantity of money, and V is (fairly) constant since the velocity of transactions should be instant (over the internets), hence inflation will be defined (unsurprisingly) by the level of economic activity, Q.

However, as Q also rarely changes by most policies, using a monetarist view on things, that only the volume of money will change inflation, is in fact, correct. So hoax, its hardly ignorent, its more likely that luke jr is simply a monetarist, and you are a keynesian.
The Halley's comet of Armagetron.
ps I'm not tokoyami
Hoax
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Hoax »

Yeah correct, I'm suprised you posted that actually unless you just educated yourself. I think it's a flawed theory but I guess it will be interesting to see it play out without politics getting involved
Luke-Jr
Dr Z Level

Post by Luke-Jr »

syllabear wrote:If you go by the monetarist view of things, the formula to denote inflation is

P = (MxV)/Q

If what is said is true, M is constant since there is no increase in quantity of money, and V is (fairly) constant since the velocity of transactions should be instant (over the internets), hence inflation will be defined (unsurprisingly) by the level of economic activity, Q.

However, as Q also rarely changes by most policies, using a monetarist view on things, that only the volume of money will change inflation, is in fact, correct. So hoax, its hardly ignorent, its more likely that luke jr is simply a monetarist, and you are a keynesian.
Actually, transactions are not instant. The time it takes varies greatly, in part dependent on how much of an (optional) transaction fee you offer, and how many verifications your recipient considers to be "complete".
Lord Pein
Round Winner

Post by Lord Pein »

Interesting, especially considering how the concept is the same as the green masks I have on Runescape.
http://i52.tinypic.com/11ipyet.png
Thursday July 22nd 2010: Airman's team beat Lizmatic's team in fortress.
DDMJ wrote:Good idea...but what if the arma player is Luke-jr :?
syllabear
Shutout Match Winner

Post by syllabear »

@hoax, no I am a fan of economics, did it for IB (AS equivilant). Was my best subject even.
The Halley's comet of Armagetron.
ps I'm not tokoyami
Van-hayes
Round Winner

Post by Van-hayes »

So what happens if someone decides to hoard as many of them as they can, to where they become rare? Do they just create more, become more valuable or do they lose all worth once no one else can get any and people stop using them?
You've gone too far, turn back!
Luke-Jr
Dr Z Level

Post by Luke-Jr »

Van-hayes wrote:So what happens if someone decides to hoard as many of them as they can, to where they become rare? Do they just create more, become more valuable or do they lose all worth once no one else can get any and people stop using them?
Well, nobody can create more (short a major leap in technology rendering all present-day cryptology worthless). If they hoard merely "a lot", I imagine the value would adjust over time. If they hoard too much (like 90+%), then it might render the currency useless and lose all value.
Van-hayes
Round Winner

Post by Van-hayes »

Ah ok, I didn't read through the whole thing first time through.
You've gone too far, turn back!
Outside Corner Grinder

Post by 2020 »

i think a new currency is a false option

better to add a weighting system and/or a recommendation system
ie
a multidimensional economy
hold the line
wap
Round Winner