Armagetron vs Tron Legacy

Anything About Anything...
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Armagetron vs Tron Legacy

Post by Word »

Some weeks ago i've read an interesting comparison (spoiler: it's french) concerning similarities of the latest Sherlock Holmes movie and the video game Sherlock Holmes - The Awakened (an adventure by Frogwares).

Since the game is at least 2 years older than the movie, it prompts a simple question - could it be possible that the game influenced Guy Richie?
Both the game's and the movie's characters and atmosphere derive from Doyle's books, but there are some details which have developed out of Frogwares'/Guy Richie's artistic freedom. They fit in the Sherlock Holmes world but they weren't originally part of it. It could simply have to do with our current view of the 19th century.

Likewise, I think there are similarities between Armagetron and Tron Legacy - things you can't find in the first movie, but in AA.
Could it be that AA influenced the movie?
  • There's a lightcycle scene that looks like a fortress round, it's a 5v5 and both teams form a swine array.
  • the map looks similar to something from ctwf :o
  • CLU could be a clanleader
  • there is something like respawns now
  • this time, there is nothing that could be interpreted as "playing open". there's a scene in which someone grinds a wall so that his cycle and body burst. in other words, there must be something like heat build-up/rubber.
(If you find more, add it)

(I'm not going to post pictures before the DVD isn't released :P )
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: Armagetron vs Tron Legacy

Post by sinewav »

I'm going to go ahead and say yes, Armagetron could very well have influenced TRON: Legacy. And, it's not just because I got a giddy feeling seeing those cycles lined up in a V-formation, 5 versus 5 (coincidental change?). There were other themes in the movie that felt like threads I've read here.

But aside from that, movie producers have an essential duty to fulfill when borrowing millions of dollars to make a movie -- market research. There is no way Disney would have missed this game during pre-production. As for how much of an influence this game (and forum) had on the movie, we'll likely never know.
Magic
Core Dumper

Post by Magic »

Nor do we care as long as this remains the premeir tron video game
nsh22
Round Winner

Post by nsh22 »

suprisingy i found a few similarities as well in aa.
but funnily enough some of the sounds in tr2norigins are very close to the sounds daftt punk... but im thinking the person who did our audio may be in touch with DP
Lucifer wrote:I think you got the wrong thread, this thread is the one where we're debating banning sinewav and dubStep until they have a threesome with dubbie's mother.
HEXadecimal
Core Dumper

Post by HEXadecimal »

sinewav wrote:There is no way Disney would have missed this game during pre-production. As for how much of an influence this game (and forum) had on the movie, we'll likely never know.
They should've straight up asked us to consult. Agreed, they have at least heard of us.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

The wingman formation was the only thing that could have directly come from AA, but is also OBVIOUS. :)

I started chuckling about the ramps and shit, and my fiance gave me a weird look, and I just said "Phytotron". She just nodded her head and kept watching the movie, even though she doesn't know any of y'all. ;)

For the record, CLU is from the first movie. He got killed in the first movie very early, and obviously Flynn made a new one between the two movies.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Wow, fiance. Well done.

I don't know how to respond to my being a one-word reference between you and her. Really?

Original Clu (Codified Likeliness Utility), a hacking program intending to find evidence of Dillinger's wrongdoing in the mainframe:
Attachments
Clu_driving1.jpeg
Seems like I used to have an animated gif of this, but can't find it.
Seems like I used to have an animated gif of this, but can't find it.
Outside Corner Grinder

Post by 2020 »

haven't seen the new fllm yet
got excited by the first test and trailers
then it just went downhill from there

yup
5v5 and V formation

if people are now admitting disney were undoubtedly were aware of us
why respond as they did when i suggested we should approach disney directly during 2009?
hold the line
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

i heard from someone that we all know that they sent an e-mail to Disney about this game back when the idea for the new movie started.

So most likely they did indeed look into it, there was even a scene that looked kind of like luke-Jr's cube idea.
ZiNgEr
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by ZiNgEr »

This makes me really wonder. If any of us had come across Disney researchers on the grids. And just written them off as trolls.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

That makes me wonder, were there any trolls on the grid pretending to be Disney researchers?
Lord Pein
Round Winner

Post by Lord Pein »

Chances are, if Disney researchers tried to get anything from AA, it wouldn't be from fortress. New players get booted from fortress servers almost instantly. Isn't fortress usually 6v6 and not 5v5 anyways?

IMO: The v formation is not specific to AA and I don't think they got that from this game. Seriously, neither position 1 blocked center, total noobs.
http://i52.tinypic.com/11ipyet.png
Thursday July 22nd 2010: Airman's team beat Lizmatic's team in fortress.
DDMJ wrote:Good idea...but what if the arma player is Luke-jr :?
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

Lord Pein wrote:IMO: The v formation is not specific to AA and I don't think they got that from this game. Seriously, neither position 1 blocked center, total noobs.
LOL!
Escape
Average Program

Post by Escape »

We should have at least gotten an interview ;) lol

I am offended that they didn't incorporate sumo in the movie though, (haven't seen it but it seems pretty obvious...), eitherway, that would explain the silent noobs xD
Graveyards only hold the Corpses, Zombies, and invite the Dying...
Would you want me to give you a free "ticket" to join?
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Attachments
V-formation.jpg
V-formation.jpg (5.32 KiB) Viewed 2282 times
V-Formations-A.jpg
V-Formations-B.jpg