Diplomacy Information Leak

Anything About Anything...
ItzAcid
Match Winner

Diplomacy Information Leak

Post by ItzAcid »

wikileak cables- YAY.

Have to love being hated more than you already are. Should be an interesting turn of events when our allies read some of these cables. /o Private Manning = Idiot. Some things are better left unknown, even with the Freedom Information Act.

(If you haven't heard about this, google either "us diplomacy scandal" or "cables wikileaks" for the exact documents.)
Won Tourneys/Competitions: WWG4 (Hmm, need more braggage like Durka)

Oo oO
syllabear
Shutout Match Winner

Re: Diplomacy Information Leak

Post by syllabear »

WD USA for letting these documents be leaked (although wiki leaks founder is Ausitralian so I won't give you all the blame).

WW3, GL HF everyone!
The Halley's comet of Armagetron.
ps I'm not tokoyami
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

there wasn't anything that surprised me...our cancellor isn't creative...our minister for foreign affairs is a twerp...nothing really new. I could have told them the same :P

i got this link from oddeuro:

http://news.slashdot.org/story/10/12/01 ... ke-Taliban
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

How much of the substance of the cables have any of you actually read up on?

Amazing how the same sheep (e.g., Tea Party) who rail against so-called "big government" have no objection, and even support for, anti-democratic government secrecy and the corruption of foreign policy, such as crossing the once-sacred line between spying and diplomacy, among several other shames revealed. That these same people revile modest good-government spending that supports and promotes the economy and our nation's people, but ignore or support the insane spending on unnecessary, fallacious wars and the subsequent corrupt governments propped up in their wake, as well as the secret war in Pakistan—all further revealed in the WikiLeaks.

Freedom is participation in power (Cicero). Information is the currency of democracy (Thomas Jefferson). These WikiLeaks are a good thing. They reveal a "profound hatred for democracy on the part of our political leadership." There's so much in there that we, as citizens (although many Americans seem to be happy to live as corporate serfs), have a right to know, and should know. The outrage and feigned claims of "this will harm our troops" are the manifestation of political embarrassment.

Pfc. Bradley Manning, who, according to the Associated Press, was able to defeat “Pentagon security systems using little more than a Lady Gaga CD and a portable computer memory stick.” = Hero.
Concord
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Concord »

most americans think laws are good. why expect the people to support an organization that breaks them?
syllabear
Shutout Match Winner

Post by syllabear »

Everyone should have the right to private opinions. A lot of politicians are getting hate for their private opinions expressed in these leaked documents. That is wrong.

Every country spies on each other. If you are so naive that you think otherwise...
The Halley's comet of Armagetron.
ps I'm not tokoyami
owned
Shutout Match Winner

Post by owned »

What wikileaks released was this:

1. A few things that were unknown before, but not much of real significance.

2. A lot of things that everyone already knew, that really had no consequence whatsoever.

3. A lot of private diplomacy talks. There are plenty of times where a us diplomat described a foreign leader or national by unappealing terms.
There were also quite a few times when an internal analyst said something that another country was doing in a frank and true way, but in a way that would be politically damaging for any politician to use.

So in my view, this leak has accomplished very little good, but much more bad. I think wikileaks should really parse through the data before they release some internal talks like those mentioned in 3 that I think should remain secret.
Mkay1
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Mkay1 »

The founders intention was to do harm. He called for Secretary of stare, Clinton to resign.

He also plans on releasing more documents, "that will bring an end to a major bank". He compares it to ENRON's demise. There are rumors it is the Bank of America.
Van-hayes
Round Winner

Post by Van-hayes »

I think he called for Clinton's resignation because she was the one asking the diplomats to spy. Not sure exactly since I just skimmed through some of the ones for Canada, the rest I heard from other news outlets. There wasn't a whole lot in there for Canada that I saw.
You've gone too far, turn back!
Paladin
Average Program

Post by Paladin »

Something about trying to steal Doughty and Toews for the next olympics though. :wink:
Clutch
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Clutch »

Paladin wrote:Something about trying to steal Doughty and Toews for the next olympics though. :wink:
NEVER!
Boxed
Olive
Match Winner

Post by Olive »

the leaked information is boring, already knew 93.8% of it.

just curious, who believes in the conspiracy theory which states the us government is behind wikileaks.
Olive a.k.a ZeMu, MoonFlower & chicken.
Titanoboa

Post by Titanoboa »

Olive wrote:just curious, who believes in the conspiracy theory which states the us government is behind wikileaks.
hah there's one for real?
Yesterday when I let my mind run loose about wikileaks after reading some news articles about it, I came up with that conspiracy theory all on my own :P
Can't say whether I believe in it myself, but I'd say it's a possibility (probably because I've seen too many spy movies/series).
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Wait, what would be the point? Shouldn't conspiracy theories go 'X secretly did it to gain advantage Y', where's Y here?
Titanoboa

Post by Titanoboa »

How about reasons to go to war?