Random videos thread

Anything About Anything...
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Re: Random videos thread

Post by Jonathan »

I love all the stuff Chris Hadfield shares with us. We live in a very unique place (for now) that we should cherish: Spaceship Earth.

Have some delta-v to adjust your orbit onto this page:
sinewav wrote:One of the greatest things I've ever seen. Colonel Chris Hadfield's cover of "Space Oddity" by David Bowie. Those familiar with the original video will enjoy this even more.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

sinewav wrote:Colonel Chris Hadfield's cover of "Space Oddity" by David Bowie.
Piano arrangement by Emm Gryner, who sang backup and played keyboard for Bowie through 1999 and 2000 in support of his 'Hours...' album. There are a lot of quality, full shows on Youtube from that period; one below. Also featured for awhile in that band, Page Hamilton of Helmet on guitar. Say wha? Yep.
Those familiar with the original video....
Which one? The goofy 1969 demo or the 1972 Ziggy Stardust sitting in a studio version?

Natalie Merchant did the only good cover I've heard hitherto. (That whole concert video is real nice.)
Titanoboa wrote:Can't believe I've never heard that song before
Neither can I. What the hell. And in grabbing those links above, seeing all these idiots in the Youtube comments saying "Chris Hadfield brought me here" and the like. What the hell. This is what happens when an entire generation is raised on "file sharing" and garbage music without context.

Also note that Hadfield changed a lot of non-trivial lyrics, significantly altering the meaning of the song.

To give some context to the original song: Ashes to Ashes. Hallo Spaceboy. (Bonus performance of 'Stay' in the first half. Also, the aforementioned Emm Gryner here.)
HalloTronboy2.png
HalloTronboy2.png (1.55 KiB) Viewed 3107 times
it's got many of my favorite chords.
What? I can't. What does that even mean? It consists of the most generic cowboy chords. Just. Uh. :?
Devon: Man, we need a roadie. Other bands have roadies.
Oz: Well, other bands know more than three chords. Your professional bands can play up to six, sometimes seven completely different chords.
Devon: That's just, like, fruity jazz bands.

Jonathan. :P :D
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Phytotron wrote:
Those familiar with the original video....
Which one? The goofy 1969 demo or the 1972 Ziggy Stardust sitting in a studio version?
Ah, I didn't know about that demo one. There is a lot I don't know. I was thinking of the Ziggy Stardust one. To me it looks like some of that feeling influenced Hadfield's version: the side lighting, camera angles, overall composition. Honestly, I was deeply moved by the Colonel's version. It's such a good song, and even though he changed lyrics I still felt the presentation was powerful.
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

Phytotron wrote:
Titanoboa wrote:it's got many of my favorite chords.
What? I can't. What does that even mean? It consists of the most generic cowboy chords. Just. Uh. :?
I don't know much about cowboy music, sorry.

Anyway, I'll give you a few examples of chords I like, then.

If the song is in C

At 0:39 or so, there's a nice D/F#. I like that. It's recurring, but not always with the F# bass.
At 1:26 or so, there's an Fm/Ab. Love it. Also recurring, and same deal as above.
At 3:19 or so, I like the G -> E leading to the Am. Would've liked it more if the bass played G# under the E... G#dim would probably be nice as well.

Listening again now, I also really like the bass.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Yeah, I wasn't aware of that '69 video until, I dunno, maybe a few years ago. That's one of the neat things about this here internet contraption, finding all those old gems. But yeah, until then I would've figured Ziggy's to be the only one, too. Can't say I see the similarities between that one and Hadfield's, myself. I mean, he didn't even shave his eyebrows off. What's up with that? :P It's a pretty awesome video, however, actually being up there. Looks like possibly some of that JJ Abrams excessive artificial lens flare, though, heh. But I dunno.

Musically, I mostly like the arrangement, though I miss the solo(s). Bowie himself has nixed it in at least this one live rendition. Makes that section sound half empty to me; I always thought the rising movement of the melody (obviously mirroring the rising chord progression) fit well there and lent to the overall feel and idea of the song. Even other solos I've heard in Bowie performances, if they don't do that it sounds off. Actually, I thought the one Erik Della Penna took in that particular Natalie Merchant rendition was the best I've heard, exceeding even the original—except for the lack of tuba (or whatever that is) at the end.

As for Hadfield's vocals, I found them rather unnerving. I find he sounds sort of robotic, in the sense of the precision of phrasing, and his actual voice sounds oddly electronic to me. Even the way his head moved as he sang. Not to detract from it, necessarily; it just personally unnerved me.
sinewav wrote:It's such a good song, and even though he changed lyrics I still felt the presentation was powerful.
Agreed. I just wanted to make sure people like Titan realised they were changed to the more literal telling.

Titanoboa wrote:I don't know much about cowboy music, sorry.
What? No no. "Cowboy chords" is a common term used to describe all those common, generic open chords.
Anyway, I'll give you a few examples of chords I like, then.
:? You gave me changes, not individual chords. And I still just...eh.
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

Just watch the fu**ing video and be cool, and then we'll chat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y5QTwazdoI
Titanoboa

Post by Titanoboa »

Phytotron wrote:What? No no. "Cowboy chords" is a common term used to describe all those common, generic open chords.
If Fm/Ab is a cowboy chord, then howdy everybody. How y'all doin? :moustache:
Clutch
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Clutch »

Damn, I just watched a bunch of those videos Chris Hadfield put out while he was on the ISS. Every few seconds I remind myself he is in f***ing space while making these, and it blows my mind every time
Boxed
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

Damn, Clutch, you have an inner nerd. Stop smoking pot and let him out!

Anyway: Damsel in Distress: Part 2 - Tropes vs Women in Video Games
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

What are you watching right now?

Post by ConVicT »

This kind of topic seems popular here,
I'll start it off with something hilarious this is a *must watch* if you have any kind of sense of humour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw2bTpyHGCE

Edit; Just realised there's the "random videos" post, but i can't delete :(
Last edited by Z-Man on Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Moderators to the rescue! (no actual edit, just moved)
tbm-
Average Program

Post by tbm- »

Titanoboa

Post by Titanoboa »

ppotter
Match Winner

Post by ppotter »

Gazelle
Match Winner

Post by Gazelle »

What the **** did i just watch...
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

So, I've been familiar with circuit bending for a long time. (I betcha sinewav has, too. Lucifer?) I was also aware of cartridge tilting with video games. But I didn't know this was a thing:

N64 Corruption Guide
Zelda: Ocarina of Death (Corruptions)
Super Mario 64: ROM Corruption