Random videos thread

Anything About Anything...
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Re: Random videos thread

Post by Word »

Yeah, some are shit. But making one with TRON was long overdue, don't you think? :P

I thought about making a tron version of the "a fistful of dollars"-intro the other day... 8)
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Word wrote:But making one with TRON was long overdue, don't you think?
I do! It was done much better than most.

...Now I'm starting to think of an animated opening sequence for ArmagetronAd: The Movie. I don't have time for this Word! :P
Word

Post by Word »

me neither. (I'm making that monkey film now...) ;)

maybe next year ^^
Word

Post by Word »

TRON/Schroedinger and his cat in Futurama
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL3SEiUIThI

(I found this when I read an article celebrating Schrödinger's 125th birthday)
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Bringing this over here.
Word wrote:this study about facebook and [narcissism].
I believe it. It's strange and a little sickening to go to a commercial as a good source of satirical criticism, but that article reminds me of this commercial for the 2011 Toyota Venza, which I think is spot-on.

Also, Is Google Making Us Stupid?
Word

Post by Word »

Heh, that wasn't a typo (or is there a difference in the meaning?):
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/narcissism
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Phytotron wrote:Also, Is Google Making Us Stupid?
So stop using Google?

I couldn't relate to that article. Maybe only some people are affected by the Internet that way? I for one have not lost the ability to ready long works. A few months ago I read Dune and that is like 900 pages of pretty complicated stuff. No problems with my mind wandering, except where the book was actually boring. And over the years my appetite for books has only increased, most of them being science and philosophy. (I still buy books!)

Marshall McLuhan had a point, but I don't think acquiring a typewriter was the main reason Nietzsche's writing style changed. There were innumerable cultural and personal reasons that likely influenced Nietzsche. And likewise, I can't read the phrase "Is Google Making Us Stupid?" without first acknowledging that Google is a byproduct of culture as much as it influences culture. And then there is the fact not everyone uses Google. Personally, I only use it for specific types of search and I've pretty much turned off every new "feature" (annoyance) that Google has rolled out over the years.
Cronix
Match Winner

Post by Cronix »

Best thing ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dql26ssMcVI

If you do not know the series GO WATCH IT! ... nah, just joking :P Video still awesome tho ^_^
Signature? wtf...
Word

Post by Word »

Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Yes, let's make fun of their misery.

Don't forget the Celestial North Korea.
Word

Post by Word »

I think that's simplifying it, he doesn't just make fun of the misery but shows the effects the regime has on the people and uses it as a mirror for us. At first you want to laugh because it's unusual to see North Koreans have fun, then you realize they actually don't have as much fun as you have, and then that they aren't any less worth than oneself no matter how much their government surpresses them, and how tragic their situation is. Brügger somehow serves as the asshole you identify with, so you realize what an asshole our whole culture is, from the perspective of those countries. The people are shown as the humans they are, and yet you can't ignore the fact that they're also the results of their respective regimes like we are shaped by our democratic governments and our relatively liberal system. It's actually far better than 'Borat', because it goes beyond a certain stereotype (e.g. stupid Americans) and doesn't preach to the choir.
Matoso
Average Program

Post by Matoso »

Albert Einstein wrote:"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
tbm-
Average Program

Post by tbm- »

Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

That shit isn't funny. No, it isn't.

I've mentioned the old Mac game Beam Wars a few times on this forum. Finally, someone's made a video of its gameplay: Let's Play: Beam Wars (a Tron Light Cycle clone) on Mac OS 9. Watch the entire video in order to see the distinct and distinguishing collapsing arena walls mechanic. I wish that dude would collapse his Control Strip.

That game is one of the reasons I always prefer to be yellow in Armagetron.
tbm-
Average Program

Post by tbm- »

Why it's supposed to be funny?
Of course it's not fun, it's more than this, the hard reality of their lives totally conditioned and affected socially.