The definition of racism;

Anything About Anything...
Tobe
Round Winner

Re: The definition of racism;

Post by Tobe »

Olive wrote: Ill try to pay attention but where i live it simply means 'black person'...
It refers to any male, where I live. It's only offensive when used in a certain tone though, like "Stop being a n%@ger;" but saying "Stop being a dumb n@%ga" is perfecftly fine (well, as long as they dont get offended by the word dumb).

^^ Just saying; I'm not really picking sides.
<-- Proud co-leader of Rogue Tronners
Olive
Match Winner

Post by Olive »

I realized but couldnt edit my post as my mobile phone wa d8 on, low battery. Would negro be offensive though?

Aaah ill keep out of the discussion way too confusing

Ps, lizmatic: i wasnt referring to the netherlands, but to culemborg, one tiny shithole where everything seems allowed and no one cares :x
Olive a.k.a ZeMu, MoonFlower & chicken.
chrisd
Round Winner

Post by chrisd »

Maybe a more useful approach to communication is to ask yourself how you can express yourself most clearly and establish the best of relations with the people around you instead of worrying about what words you are not allowed to say. The "this word is not allowed" game sounds kind of childish.....

And the definition of racism? Well, one can make one up if one likes doing that. Or read one in a dictionary or something. But really, how useful is that? If you don't like to be called in a certain way, just tell the person you don't like it. No need to bring heavy equipment, like definitions of racism to the table....
PokeMaster
Match Winner

Post by PokeMaster »

chrisd wrote:Maybe a more useful approach to communication is to ask yourself how you can express yourself most clearly and establish the best of relations with the people around you instead of worrying about what words you are not allowed to say. The "this word is not allowed" game sounds kind of childish.....

And the definition of racism? Well, one can make one up if one likes doing that. Or read one in a dictionary or something. But really, how useful is that? If you don't like to be called in a certain way, just tell the person you don't like it. No need to bring heavy equipment, like definitions of racism to the table....
+1
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Olive wrote:I realized but couldnt edit my post as my mobile phone wa d8 on, low battery.
Does your mobile phone allow you to read the earlier pages of this thread, wherein most of what you're talking about was already covered?

What I want to know is why some of you are basically asking, "can I get away with this racial slur? Well, how about this one?" Why must you use a slur at all? My inclination is to think that if you actually respected people of others races (and gender and sexual orientation, by the way) as humans of equal dignity, then that wouldn't even be a consideration to you.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Phytotron wrote:Does your mobile phone allow you to read the earlier pages of this thread, wherein most of what you're talking about was already covered?

What I want to know is why some of you are basically asking, "can I get away with this racial slur? Well, how about this one?" Why must you use a slur at all? My inclination is to think that if you actually respected people of others races (and gender and sexual orientation, by the way) as humans of equal dignity, then that wouldn't even be a consideration to you.
+10
Sinn
Average Program

Post by Sinn »

Well I read some of this topic and skipped over most of the middle. As i'm sure many of you know I use racial slures ALL THE TIME. Do I think this makes me racists? No not really, but perhaps I am a bit. Someone said everyone is a bit racist inside and I believe it.

As for the most part most racial comments should be taken with a grain of salt. If a racial comment really gets to you then most likely you are insecure about yourself and your race or gender preference. Most people who get offended by racist terms usually have very little sense of humor. For example you watch a comedian letting the N word fly, or talk about gays or Jews or whatever it's funny, most people find it hilarious. This includes people of color or religion making jokes or stabs at people of the same color or religion.

I would also like to point out that a lot of racism has those little hidden meanings that others may not seem to understand. For example a lot of people that call others the "N" word are not racist, or claim not to be. Many people i've spoke to about this subject say just because your black doesn't make you a N'er. N'ers are people who lie, steal, cheat and are just all around bad people. Basically meaning if you are called the "N" word it's not because your black but because of the kind of person you are.

There is racism all over the place. People getting picked on for certain religions, color of skin, where they live, being poor or live in a trailer park, their sexual preference. Although many of these do not technically count as racism I include them all in the same area. There is racism everywhere and always will be until everyone is exactly the same. If racism really bothers you then you really need to get over it and move on. Everyone picks on others for something or another. I'm sure everyone who has been a target of racism has said something awful to someone else, so I guess it kinda comes out even doesn't it?

Also just for the record the slave era was way before my time and anyone else's time here on earth and before your parents and grandparents time. None of the black people alive today had to deal with slavery so grow up and stop acting like everyone owes you something for what happend to your parents parents parents or whatever.

Anyway, I don't know if any of what I just typed made sense I just got back from being on the road for 4 hours and have had no sleep at all so take it for what it's worth.

So in short if someone makes a rude racist or whatever comment to you, get over yourself, stop crying and move on. If someone is generally racist so bad they are or could be like in the KKK then that is a totally different story. Racism and making racist comments just to get at you are 2 different things imo.

So since there will always be racism and people being picked on for stupid things. The question everyone should be asking is how to DEAL with racism, bullies etc etc.
The truth is out there.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

I'm not crying. I'm showing respect. I'm glad at least some people understand what that means.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Sinn
Average Program

Post by Sinn »

No I understand and I hope my post doesn't make it look like a accept racial slurs and such. We have kicked and banned many people from our servers for such things and have also kicked people from our clan.

I'm simply trying to say that all this shit is here, everywhere around us. You cannot get rid of it so the best thing to do is try to not let it bother you.
The truth is out there.

Robot Chicken
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Robot Chicken »

chrisd wrote:Maybe a more useful approach to communication is to ask yourself how you can express yourself most clearly and establish the best of relations with the people around you instead of worrying about what words you are not allowed to say. The "this word is not allowed" game sounds kind of childish.....

+1
gawdzilla
Liz of the many names

Post by gawdzilla »

Sinn wrote:No I understand and I hope my post doesn't make it look like a accept racial slurs and such. We have kicked and banned many people from our servers for such things and have also kicked people from our clan.

I'm simply trying to say that all this shit is here, everywhere around us. You cannot get rid of it so the best thing to do is try to not let it bother you.
yeah you kicked people from your clan for doing exactly what you do all the time, your entire post was basically excusing your own racist behaviour
TaZ
Round Winner

Post by TaZ »

gawdzilla wrote:
Sinn wrote:No I understand and I hope my post doesn't make it look like a accept racial slurs and such. We have kicked and banned many people from our servers for such things and have also kicked people from our clan.

yeah you kicked people from your clan for doing exactly what you do all the time, your entire post was basically excusing your own racist behaviour
+1
Sinn
Average Program

Post by Sinn »

well I have made racist jokes and comments, get over it stop crying, no one gives a shit. If you read my above post I admitted that. The shit you have done is no better. If I offend you with something I say it's because you have no sense of humor and all you wanna do is cry about it. If you don't get a sense of humor your gonna walk around your entire life feeling sad, depressed and sorry for yourself. I have never called anyone in tron the "N" word. So thanks for picking out the points in my previous posts so you can start some shit. I guess we will be seeing the old Liz soon.
The truth is out there.

gawdzilla
Liz of the many names

Post by gawdzilla »

new liz doesn't tolerate racism either, get over it
Sinn
Average Program

Post by Sinn »

You know what Liz your right...I'm SO sorry. Here let me make it up to you. I'm going to send you a nice basket with some watermelon and fried chicken for you and your hubby to enjoy. Crispy or original style? You can even invite Taz over for dinner.

Oh crap, I am a racist aren't I?? Please don't hate me, i'll get help I swear!
The truth is out there.