Total votes: 78

theroze
Match Winner

Re: Open vs Closed, N°2

Post by theroze »

epsy wrote:
theroze wrote:A close is a kill.
Not if the opponent gets through :))
There are some who can close very good, and there are some who dont get it how to play in the internet. So, the first ones are for kill, the second ones are for the fourth invisible opinion. "Im a too big noob to understand the rules, and i dont grind. I teamkill. and i spam. And i dont know why i get kicked all the time!"
apparition wrote:You being able to kill so many players that quickly and efficiently is evidence that the community skill level must be dropping... Sad :/
Reigning champion of: Sir-spam-a-lot 2011
Mecca
Match Winner

Post by Mecca »

epsy wrote:
theroze wrote:A close is a kill.
Not if the opponent gets through :))
If someone is able to get through, it is not closed.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

well, it is closed, but not good enough.

Do we have to discuss that here? lol
I think it's just like talking about the origins of eggs and hens...
Tobe
Round Winner

Post by Tobe »

I play the way most CTFers in Swampland play: Open.
Phytotron wrote:Need I even state how I voted? This "open" garbage, and whatever else these fools want to call it and its arbitrary variations, is the worst thing to happen to this game. It's fouled up both the game itself as well as the 'community.' And coming from me, that's saying a lot, isn't it. You all know how much I dislike and object to things like high rubber, multibind usage tied with miniscule cycle_delay, maps, zones, mulitple axes, clans.
How is playing öpen ruining the game? All it is is harmless fun. And imho it prevents the constant backdoor and speeds up gameplay. Since settings in swampland fit any play style, why not play open like in DF?
Z-Man wrote:People who make up their own rules how a game is supposed to be played and try to force those rules on others have always been and will always be scrubs.
I agree with this. Complaining about someone closing in Swampland is rediculous if you choose to play loose, but
Z-Man wrote:There's settings now that enforce open play. Shoo, use them on your server and GTFO of mine.
I disagree with this statment (for Swampland at least). Open play is just a new way to play the game, and I fail to see how it hurts it. For people who play closed, it only helps them become less likely to die from open players; And for those who play open, it improves their skill and reaction time going through loose traps.

Also, no rubber cant be considered loose if theres no room to even make a mistake. As soon as someone even comes 5 meters from a wall, your sealed in..
<-- Proud co-leader of Rogue Tronners
Van-hayes
Round Winner

Post by Van-hayes »

Well its not that people choose to play Open that is the problem it's that they try to enforce it without using the settings, if you go into a server where most are playing open yet the server doesn't have setting enforcing it you will most likely get kicked for playing regularly. If you want an "open only" server get rid of rubber really, its hard to close if you can't touch a wall without dying, if not then you cant really complain when someone closes you in. You also shouldn't kick someone from a server that isn't yours for playing normally. And really some servers have 10+ rubber and people in them expect you to play open? Rounds would last until a DZ came and killed you or, if there is no DZ, you leave instead of waiting around for 2 people to finish.
You've gone too far, turn back!
Mkay1
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Mkay1 »

idk the difference between open or closed, so i just do w/e i want
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Van-hayes wrote:If you want an "open only" server get rid of rubber really, its hard to close if you can't touch a wall without dying, if not then you cant really complain when someone closes you in.
I have two servers with '1 rubber.' I was playing with some people the other day and one said "wow, it's like you have to play open with the rubber this low... neat!" I was like, "yarly". And, there is just enough rubber for good players to tunnel successfully.

Have I mentioned that '1 rubber' is perfect? I have never needed more.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

sinewav wrote: Have I mentioned that '1 rubber' is perfect? I have never needed more.
Are you sure you want this particular piece of information readily available on the internet for prospective girlfriends to find?

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Lucifer wrote:Are you sure you want this particular piece of information readily available on the internet for prospective girlfriends to find?
:oops: It's the basis of this forum that's the deal-breaker, not how much rubber I need.

Fixed:
sinewav wrote:Have I mentioned that '8 rubber' is perfect? I have never needed more.
theroze
Match Winner

Post by theroze »

Again some from my side. This Game was born, that the player/tronner of it can destroy their bikes /tanks/birds/pacmans/cut their balls, feel like Darth Vader and shout at the enemies:"Im your father, i killed you." I mean, cause of the kills, we like this game. Over and out.
apparition wrote:You being able to kill so many players that quickly and efficiently is evidence that the community skill level must be dropping... Sad :/
Reigning champion of: Sir-spam-a-lot 2011
Word

Post by Word »

sinewav wrote:
Lucifer wrote:Are you sure you want this particular piece of information readily available on the internet for prospective girlfriends to find?
:oops: It's the basis of this forum that's the deal-breaker, not how much rubber I need.

Fixed:
sinewav wrote:Have I mentioned that '8 rubber' is perfect? I have never needed more.
LOL
Word

Post by Word »

Tobe wrote:
Phytotron wrote:Need I even state how I voted? This "open" garbage, and whatever else these fools want to call it and its arbitrary variations, is the worst thing to happen to this game. It's fouled up both the game itself as well as the 'community.' And coming from me, that's saying a lot, isn't it. You all know how much I dislike and object to things like high rubber, multibind usage tied with miniscule cycle_delay, maps, zones, mulitple axes, clans.
How is playing öpen ruining the game? All it is is harmless fun.
Z-Man wrote:People who make up their own rules how a game is supposed to be played and try to force those rules on others have always been and will always be scrubs.
I agree with this. Complaining about someone closing in Swampland is rediculous...
I think you answered your own question. It's not playing open itself that ruins the game but the people who do it and whine when they have the chance (Vanhayes explained that very well).
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Word wrote:I think it's just like talking about the origins of eggs and hens...
The egg came first. Settled evolutionary biology.

"Open" does in fact hurt the game beyond just the players' attitudes and behaviours (although that's bad enough). For one, no, it absolutely does not speed up the game. Completely the opposite. I have no idea how someone can complain about so-called "campers," or "backdoor," or "runners," or someone who plays like xdude, but think it's perfectly fine for a couple or handful of "open" players stroking each other to prolong a round. And don't tell me about your so-called "traps"—these lame little 180s and squiggles made with your double/triplebinds. Oooh, skill. And to talk about low rubber and closing not giving players a chance to make a mistake—hello, dipshit, that's the point! Get better! Don't make critical mistakes! If you make a mistake, and someone takes advantage of that, you should be core dumped. Period. No whining. Some fool tried to tell me "closed is wrong and unfair because it doesn't give the other player a chance." Are you kidding me? Seriously. And that's the other way it hurts actual gameplay, Everyone is spoiled on this shit, as noted in the quote I linked to above—and that was two years ago. It's worse now. There are so many players who just plain can't hang against someone who plays normally. (I've also noticed a terrible trend of a new type of 180 abuse, where anytime you get near and 1-on-1 with these players, they just start 180ing back and forth in place. What?)

Lucifer made an analogy to fencing. What I say is it's like showing up at a pickup bball game and announcing—nay, demanding—"OK OK, so like none of you fags are allowed to guard me, or try to steal the ball, or block my shots! That's cheap and only for noobs! If you really have any skill and balls, none of us will do any of that (but sometimes I will, but I'll pretend like I didn't or didn't mean to, and LOL about it!)" Try going to a blacktop court downtown and getting away with that, honkey. It's like they want to turn the game into the Armagetron equivalent of that "And 1" crap. But like I say about that, put the best 5 "And 1" players against the starters of any competent NCAA D-1 team—say, even a 16 seed in the tourney—and the "And 1" guys will have their asses converted to court mops. Hell, the better women's teams would do the same.
saragei
Core Dumper

Post by saragei »

Phytotron wrote:
Word wrote:I think it's just like talking about the origins of eggs and hens...
The egg came first. Settled evolutionary biology. (...)
Interesting. Could you explain?
Never trust a species that grins all the time. It’s up to something. —Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
Warum sage ich überhaupt was? Das ist, als würde man seinem Navi widersprechen —Bernd das Brot, Kika-Lounge
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

(Did so before somewhere, but anyway): A chicken egg is a chicken egg if a chicken hatches from it. It is not possible for a chicken to hatch from a non-chicken egg. However, it is possible for a non-hen and a non-rooster to mate and produce a chicken egg by combining their DNA. That's how the first chicken egg came about, and logically, it came before the first chicken. All that assuming there's a hard line to be drawn between chicken and non-chicken, which is of course nonsense and the real answer to the question is the same as it always has been, "who the **** cares? Get back to work."