I play open
24%

Total votes: 78

Lucifer
Project Developer

Re: Open vs Closed, N°2

Post by Lucifer »

It's easy to say that....

See, a number of years back I was working in a lube shop, and we were working our asses off. The boss promised to order us some fried chicken. Before he could execute that promise, the district manager showed up, and *he* wanted pizza. So he singled me out and said "If you can answer this question correctly, we'll get fried chicken. Otherwise, it's pizza." I gave him Z-man's answer, and this is what he said:

"You're wrong. God created all animals in their adult form, so the chicken came first. We'll have pizza."

I'm still pissed about it.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Erm, it's because the egg evolved long before birds, and birds are descended from those egg-laying species (probably a line of dinos). It's like asking, "What came first: The human or the placenta?"
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Lucifer wrote:God created all animals in their adult form, so the chicken came first.
Wow, what a great God, depriving living creatures of their childhood by creating them in their adult form. Jerk.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Phytotron wrote:Erm, it's because the egg evolved long before birds, and birds are descended from those egg-laying species (probably a line of dinos). It's like asking, "What came first: The human or the placenta?"
You can see I anticipated that nitpick by specifically saying 'chicken egg'.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

sinewav wrote:
Lucifer wrote:God created all animals in their adult form, so the chicken came first.
Wow, what a great God, depriving living creatures of their childhood by creating them in their adult form. Jerk.
Maybe that's why conservatives make such terrible parents? They were never kids...

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Mecca
Match Winner

Post by Mecca »

Lucifer wrote:
sinewav wrote:
Maybe that's why conservatives make such terrible parents? They were never kids...
lmao!
BamBam
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by BamBam »

all depends on gametype as you said.

-What Has Tron Come too.
ceti alpha

Post by ceti alpha »

My stance on the issue has certainly changed over the past few years since I first started playing. When I first started I might have gotten miffed if people didn't play open :oops: , but now I couldn't care less. In fact, I pretty much expect people to play closed unless I know the person plays open. Even then there's a chance they can accidentally close. I still tend to play open, but it's really just out of habit and has become part of my style of playing. In any case, I'd never call someone out for closing now. lol I actually enjoy playing against a variety of styles - spices things up a bit. hehe :mrgreen:

Edit: So my vote goes to "a kill is a kill is a kill".
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

heh, welcome back :)
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

When i thought about the question, I thought I'd put closed, however I realized that I actually play both open and closed. If it is a player that does not have very much skills I'll keep it a little open for them, or if I foresee the need for more rubber in a little while I'm not going to use it all up just to close someone off. So i kind of play a mix of open and closed.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

same for me, i don't play open or close on purpose, my only goal is to kill the opponent, which is why i added the third option
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

:twisted: Sometimes I leave it open, then close it. Like how a cat plays with a mouse before it kills it.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Heh, that's effective, enjoyable, but will draw even more venom from the "open" players. What's also ridiculous is that some of them are so conditioned that even after you do it a few times in a row they'll continue to follow you, and continue to be shocked and enraged by it. "Baiting" is even among their lexicon of prohibited behaviours. Get a clue!

As for leaving a little space for someone who's obviously new, I've always done that as well, long before "open" came along. That's why it's sort of insulting for me for someone to leave it 'open' for me—it's equivalent to having someone go easy on you. I don't need or want that shit, just do what you're supposed to do. So, now I'm a little ambivalent to even go easy on the novices for fear that I'm passively introducing them to, and normalising, the act of "open." Just another way in which these people have fouled up the game.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Phytotron wrote:As for leaving a little space for someone who's obviously new, I've always done that as well, long before "open" came along.
I did that when we were playing with that new kid the other night in "Original Arcade". I'm more inclined to give someone an escape route when there are just two players in the server, especially if the walls are very long. It adds more claustrophobia and makes the rounds a little longer. Depending on the server, the "setting up" at the beginning of the round isn't as fun as "omg I'm running out of room fast!"
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

Thilo wrote:The mind set of an open player isn't to conquer the opponent, it's to conquer the particular maze at hand.

Players who seal:
- are aggressive
- are dominant
- are conservative
- are cruel
- are the kind of people get get in fist fights over stupid shit
- have primitive brains
- cannot see a competition beyond the scope of win/lose
- have too much pride

Open players:
- are playful
- take risks
- can die and still have fun
- pride control of the bike
- explore style
- enjoy personal challenges
- have sex with beautiful women

Open players would rather attempt a maze and die than sit in a box triple binding back and forth and eventually winning. Winning, especially at a game as silly as Tron, is extremely overrated, and I don't see how anyone could get satisfaction from doing the same speed/seal over and over again, match after match.

balls
Phytotron wrote:That quote from Thilo (whomever that is) is absolute claptrap rubbish.
Thanks Phytotron for proving his point :D

And no, I don't want to fist fight about it.